Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

a bit much

when are juiced photos just a bit too much? mine on left; seller's on right (look familiar?):

imageimage

I do like a bit of tone, but so much is left to question in pictures of toned coins. I assure you, the coin looks more like my photos show it, in hand. The other shots needed some "work" I believe. I'll keep the coin, for now...

Comments

• Options
    eggboneeggbone Posts: 615
    It is a shame that some sellers juice the photos and do not disclose such.
    If I am not satisfied, for ANY reason, I will return the purchase, on principle, unless I really covet it!

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the "juice"?

Looks like just different lighting and aperture settings.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    <<<Where's the "juice"?

Looks like just different lighting and aperture settings. >>>

• Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    oh yeah, definitely different light and aperture settings, hence the term "worked" (may be syn. w/"juiced" - not necessarily via software enhancements).

It took some doing to coax that amount of toning out of that coin. NOT THAT IT'S BAD, just that it took some "work" to produce.

As it quickly passed across his desk during the course of the average business day, the average Joe-schmoe wouldn't see a coin that looks anything like the original seller's pics.

hehe, at least they weren't pushing opened silver eagles as being First Strike eligible. image

I was looking for a rather nice San Diego and got it. Maybe I'll decide the coin is whiter than I like and will upgrade at some point. Like I said in the OP, I'll keep it for now...
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>It took some doing to coax that amount of toning out of that coin. NOT THAT IT'S BAD, just that it took some "work" to produce. >>

I have a camera that doesn't have a white balance setting and I can get pictures that look very similar your "worked" one with no work at all- just snap the picture, and there it is.
  • Options
    That's the tough thing about buying online. I've sent coins back to sellers so often that it's getting tiresome.

I don't necessarily think sellers do it on purpose, OTOH, sellers should look at the coin they are selling and see how close the picture is before they post it as 'the real thing'.

Photgraphy is my other hobby, and I personally find that shooting a coin is not the easiest subject matter when color is so very important, not to mention capturing PL surfaces
    on a naturally toned coin. That is tough to do.

Best.......
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    Perhaps ask for pics from different angles and lighting. Your mileage may vary
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    You mean when the sellers picture looks like this...

And you get this....

Reverse is the same as it is pretty close, basically white.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like just different lighting and aperture settings.

But shouldn't the image represent what the coin looks like in-hand?
    We could go into different types of light sources, color temperatures, indexes, monitor calibration, etc.
    Bottom line is if the coin looks different in-hand than the image on screen, then the buyer will probably not be happy.
    JMO
  • Options

<< <i>OTOH, sellers should look at the coin they are selling and see how close the picture is before they post it as 'the real thing' >>

OTOOH, buyers should realize that sellers have no way of knowing how buyers' monitors are calibrated. The picture that looks fine on the seller's monitor can look different on the buyer's, and there's nothing the seller can do about it.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    Besides highlighting my extremely good photography skills image ...

Is this picture situation somewhat like writing a speech to suit the audience for which it is intended? You wouldn't speak to a bunch of 6th graders about college level organic chemistry, would you?

Some people are super good with creating an awesome, artistically meritous photo, which imparts much care and devotion to the subject. Others are just out to obtain realistic, real-life, day-to-day representations. Once again, neither is good or bad, both may be a bit of an exageration one way or the other, more one than the other.

I've been enjoying photography since I ordered the original Time-Life photography book series way back in the 60's (still have them). Practicing photography is a different story, for different subjects, for different people. Hmm, kinda sounds like coin collecting...
  • Options

<< <i>Besides highlighting my extremely good photography skills image ... >>

Photography skills are irrelevant if the person who's looking at your pictures has a crappy monitor (or has it adjusted badly).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file