Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Fleer Three Stooges

I have always enjoyed this set and I have always wanted to buy the first three cards in PSA 9. I was doing some research today and I was shocked to find out that every single high grade card in the past two years has been won by twinightrick. He now has I believe 12 of the top 20 sets in the registry and he continues to add on. By now he must own almost every single high grade card in existence. The funny thing is that people continue to push prices higher trying to outbid him. Obiviously it can't be done. This might be the first real attempt at purchasing every card of a particular set in PSA 8 or higher. So what do you guys think will happen to prices once all cards are in his hands? Could he manipulate the market and reap high rewards or do you think any attempt on his part to sell his cards will drive down the prices on these cards?

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an 8-page story in the new SMR about Twinight.

Evidently, the guy is LOADED!!! His name is Richard Cohen, and according to the article, he owns the finest collection of early-19th-century porcelain outside the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg Russia. It goes on to say that he and one of his sons have begun collecting PSA 8 and above T206s.

On the '59 Fleer Three Stooges, he says that at one time, he owned 19 sets, and that he considers himself to have singlehandedly run up the value of the cards by buying all the best examples. He also says that he was never a Stooges fan, and thought they were ridiculous. He's collecting the cards for one of his sons, who's a big Stooges fan.

Steve
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I sold him a set back about a year ago. The story that sdsports said is 100% true. The guy is doing it for his son and he does not even like the stooges. He has more sets in lower grade (like psa 7's and 8's), but he only want to really work on the PSA 9/10 sets. image He pays big money for all of them.

And yes, he has manipulated the pricing for this set single handedly.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The question is, how much will they be worth when he is selling them instead of outbidding everyone on them?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I also read the SMR article about Cohen and the T-206s. It was a good read. The economics of hoarding are most interesting. I only collect sports cards, but this is one non-sports development that makes me interested in the future values of high-end Three Stooges cards. It's possible that this also foreshadows a similar run-up in high-end T-206s - like they haven't been run up enough already. image
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    From what he told me and a friend of mine, he is not going to sell them but he is giving all of them to his son.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    If you look at his set, there is one card graded higher than his #1 card.

EVERY OTHER CARD IN THE SET he has the HIGHEST graded card. THAT is impressive!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you look at his set, there is one card graded higher than his #1 card.

EVERY OTHER CARD IN THE SET he has the HIGHEST graded card. THAT is impressive! >>

Ditto...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)