Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So what's your opinion of this potential trade?

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got this Bust quarter from a forum member last year.

Here's how it looked raw, in his pictures.

Here it is again in my post-slabbing scans of it, which look pretty awful. Note the hairline through the T in LIBERTY. In hand, it is practically invisible from most angles. The scan made it jump out for some reason. (You can't see it in his photos).

I only slabbed it because I was dabbling with Registry sets again, briefly, but now I no longer am. It is a nice original looking coin, though. PCGS trends is $230. After slabbing, I have about $245 in it, which means I am a bit overinvested. It also means I might have a hard time selling it, so a trade might be the way to go.

The original owner wants it back, and is offering me this 1807 Bust half in exchange. (He just posted an opinion thread about it, but deleted that so I could post this thread, as I want not just opinions of both coins, but of how balanced the trade is... or isn't.)

imageimage

I like the look of the Bust half, despite the grainy photos. It is raw and might have once been cleaned, but probably not harshly. I can live with that, as I wouldn't be trying to slab it. Redbook and PCGS trends are unhelpful on this piece. Numismedia says $155 in VG8 (which would make it too light a trade for my coin), and $300 in F12 (which would mean I would be the one to have to add something to the deal). I figure the half somewhere in between those grades, personally. I think it is a VG10 in my book. This means the price, falling between $155 and $300 as it does, might make it a fair trade for my PCGS VF30 quarter (which falls right between the Numismedia values of $150 for a VF20 and $390 for an XF40.)

What do you think?

I have another Bust quarter on hand (though not so nice as this one). I am currently out of Bust halves, and I have never owned one of these earlier 1807-08 ones with the "snakey" eagle. Both are pluses in favor of the trade. On the minus side, his coin is raw and mine slabbed.

I am leaning a little bit towards agreeing to the trade, but my potential trade partner and I agreed to put the question out here for others to weigh in on. Neither he nor I have the Greysheet, but I don't expect Greysheet would be of that much help in this particular situation, either.

The major question is... is that Bust half worth $245? Hypothetically speaking, would you pay that much for it, not in cash, but in trade?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say go for it.

Got to love the 1807. stman got me hooked on those years ago.

peacockcoins

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep the Bust Quarter.

His coin is raw and yours is in PCGS plastic. The age of raw is over.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I say go for it.

Got to love the 1807. stman got me hooked on those years ago. >>

VF late bust quarters are a dime a dozen.

(I am assuming that the 1807 half looks a little better than the photo and would grade at PCGS or NGC (though I would not put that condition on the trade)).
  • Options
    Well, I won't be trying to slab the 1807 half, merely to sell it and get my money back out. I just was wondering whether I have a better chance of getting my investment out of the quarter or the half. The quarter has sat on BST a while with no takers at my price of $245 (my cost), so the fact that it is in plastic and the half isn't might be a small detriment, but not a deal-breaker. If I have a better chance of selling the half eventually, I'll take it instead. I am merely trying to recoup my investment. I think the half might be worth a shot. As mentioned, if I trade away this Bust quarter, I'll still have one, while the only Bust half I have in stock at the moment is a holey. And I certainly wouldn't mind owning an 1807-08 Bust half, as mentioned- that would be a first for me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attribute them both before you do a trade. image
  • Options

OK, who'll attribute them?

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    my opinion it the bust quarter is a better item to sell, though closer to 180 or 200. I would not trade even for the half.
  • Options
    <<His coin is raw and yours is in PCGS plastic. The age of raw is over. >>

Really?

Id make the trade. 1807? For an 1831?

image If one is on the light side, buy the other a beer at a show.image
  • Options
    I don't drink beer and dunno if I'll ever meet this person at a show, but you have a point... it's fairly close to a balanced trade, I reckon.

I am just kind of tired and woolly headed at the moment, so rather than agree straight off, I thought I would put it to the forum (the other party agreed to this).

I forgot to do a poll, though. Ah, well.

• Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641
    I'd do the trade.
    I just like bust halves more, and that one has a nice look.
    Value wise - I'd say it's a toss up.
    Golf time!!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trades can help us move stuff around better. I like all coins so do me with one.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>trades can help us move stuff around better. I like all coins so do me with one. >>

What is that? Some sort of coin fettish? image
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    i would rather have the 50c myself

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The essential problem may be that you are buried in the quarter. If the half dollar proves to be a problem coin you may end up burying yourself even deeper.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file