RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
(actually, I do image )

the Steelers just signed Heath Miller to a 6 year deal

Link to article on Steelers.com

Here we go...

Comments

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    They are the best AAA team around. Major League teams pick up some solid prospects from the Pirates. Sanchez is off to San Fran, and Wilson and Sneel are headed to Seattle. I hate to see them go, but I like the players. A trade is the only way they may eventually see the playoffs or even a winning team.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    The Pirates are the Kansas City A's of our generation. I hope we can appreciate what the Pirates have done for baseball over the past 16 years. Keep up the great work Bucs!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Pirates are the Kansas City A's of our generation. I hope we can appreciate what the Pirates have done for baseball over the past 16 years. Keep up the great work Bucs!!! >>

I was just thinking the same thing. For you whippersnappers, the Kansas City A's would send all their top players off to the Yankees. They might as well have been a Yankee triple A affiliate. This didn't change until Charley Finley came along.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Actually if you paid attention to the trades they are making, they are getting young talent in the minors and rebuilding the right way.

The only terrible trade they have made so far has been Jason Bay. The Red Sox players they got have been pretty awful (Moss and Hansen).

The Yankee players they got for Nady have been quite good (Ohlendorf is a good starter, Tabata is 1 to 2 years from starting and McCutchen will come up this year).

The McClouth trade isn't old enough to decide yet but McClouth is hitting in the .250s and isn't hitting HRs anymore. They got a very good young starter in Charlie Morton for him, a good every day prospect in Gorkys and another good prospect pitcher.

Jack Wilson and Freddie Sanchez were way overvalued by tons of people. Jack can't hit, hasn't hit in 4 years. He makes great players for sportscenter but he is over 30 and his value over a replacement player isn't much higher.

Sanchez is 3 time allstar, yeah because they dont have anyone else that reasembles an AS most of the time. He is a good player but is he worth 10mil a year? He doesn't have any power and is hurt and is in a huge slump. The prospect they got back is a A rated blue chipper that was coveted by the Giants and alot of teams so at least they got some good value there.

Adam Laroche, please the guy was a streaky, whiff machine for the entire time here.

Nyjer Morgan might turn out the best guy we traded, might as the dude is 28 I believe already. Milledge has more power and more upside but is a headcase. It's a gamble but it's too early to say who will be better.

Ian Snell was never going back to the Pirates. He already burned all those bridges, pretty much the same way Gorzelanny has. I don't know what people see in Snell at the ML level. Last two years he has refused to make any changes to his approach and he nibbles and walks tons of batters. yeah he had 200K 3 years ago but can we say oliver perez? His last game at AAA he allowed a WHIP of 2.00 in 5 IP but only gave up 2 ER so people look at it as a "good" outing, I look at it and say he was lucky to give up just 2.

The Pirates screwed the pooch on the Bay deal, he was their biggest chip. If anything prevents them from competing in 2011 it will be that deal.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Sanchez is 3 time allstar, yeah because they dont have anyone else that reasembles an AS most of the time. He is a good player but is he worth 10mil a year? He doesn't have any power and is hurt and is in a huge slump. The prospect they got back is a A rated blue chipper that was coveted by the Giants and alot of teams so at least they got some good value there. >>

I have a bad feeling that the Giants overpaid badly for this guy. He's hurt too!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Morgoth, you made some excellent points. The Pirates do seem to be reloading and they've made some good moves, but my question is, how long before they start trading away this new young talent for still younger talent? It seems to me like the Pirates are in a perpetual state of rebuilding. They keep breaking up their foundation and pouring a new one. I'd be really frustrated if I was a Pirates fan.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Clemaz, where are you?
  • Options
    Gorzelanny and Grabow are now off to the Cubs...
  • Options

<< <i>Clemaz, where are you? >>

I'm here. My wife wants to take our kids to their first Pirate game this Saturday. The Pirates are playing the Nationals. Good griefimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Clemaz, where are you? >>

I'm here. My wife wants to take our kids to their first Pirate game this Saturday. The Pirates are playing the Nationals. Good griefimage >>

Make sure they're wearing Pirates jerseys. They might just get in the game.

But keep an eye on them as well, never know who the Pirates are going to trade next.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Actually what you are going to get is the Indianapolis Indians (AAA) Pittsburgh Pirates.
  • Options

<< <i>But keep an eye on them as well, never know who the Pirates are going to trade next. >>

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    What you have to remember is the Pirates are blowing up a team that has lost 90 plus games. They lost with Bay, Nady, Snell etc. They NEVER won with any of those guys so why should they pay them to lose?

I think its funny to see the BB community fly into fits of rage due to the Pirates selling off their team like the freaking won the WS last year. They at some point have to have more quality players with higher celings than what they had. Sorry but the guys they had are barely replacement level players.

The big key is if they ever win, will they pay to keep the team together or sign FAs to add to the team. We will see. IF they win and then sell off again then the team should officially be terminated due to it not wanting to compete but until then you have to let them rebuild and see if they can do it.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I think that if any major league team goes 20 years without having a .500 season they should automatically be contracted.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What you have to remember is the Pirates are blowing up a team that has lost 90 plus games. They lost with Bay, Nady, Snell etc. They NEVER won with any of those guys so why should they pay them to lose?

I think its funny to see the BB community fly into fits of rage due to the Pirates selling off their team like the freaking won the WS last year. They at some point have to have more quality players with higher celings than what they had. Sorry but the guys they had are barely replacement level players.

The big key is if they ever win, will they pay to keep the team together or sign FAs to add to the team. We will see. IF they win and then sell off again then the team should officially be terminated due to it not wanting to compete but until then you have to let them rebuild and see if they can do it. >>

The main problem is this is something like the 5th rebuilding plan the current ownership group has attempted. I agree they have some decent prospects but I'm not at all convinced they are interested in upping salary north of $50M even if the young players start playing competitively. The other main problem is they have little in the way of power hitting prospects. Alvarez is the only blue chip power hitter. Clement may fill that void but I'm not convinced he'll be consistant enough with the bat or glove to be an everyday answer at 1B. He probably is finished as a catcher due to bad knees. Garrett Jones started out like Babe Ruth but I think he'll be more like Chris Shelton than the Babe over the long haul.
  • Options

<< <i>The big key is if they ever win, will they pay to keep the team together or sign FAs to add to the team. We will see. >>

We will never know because they will never win.
  • Options

<< <i> I'd be really frustrated if I was a Pirates fan. >>

And that i am very much so. Been a Pirates fan for 30 years. The last 15 have been dreadful. Why is it a small market team like the Steelers, the best team in football, while the same time the PIRATES are the worst in baseball? I'll tell you the main reason why, its because the NFL has equal revenue sharing, while baseball does not. The Steelers can afford to keep their best players, while the Pirates can't afford their best players for long-term contracts. Every team in the NFL has an equal chance to win. Just look at the Phoenix Cardinals who were 1 minute away from being super bowl champs. MLB sucks these days. Baseball was much more interesting when teams like the Pirates and Reds were winning alot. Unfortunatley those days are gone.