Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

It's a small world after all.

Today I made a brief stop at the antique mall on my way home from work.

I knew I'd run out of wooden dollars in the drawer there. I had my own wooden dollars printed up by the Old Time Wooden Nickel Company about a year or two ago, and I use them as business cards and/or promo items. They're in a drawer that says "Take One", down at my coin booth in the antique mall. I noticed they were all gone on the last visit.

So today I brought the original UPS box they'd shipped from the manufacturer in, and refilled the drawer.

As I was pouring them into the drawer, I noticed an oddball stowaway in the box. My latest batch are printed in red, with a Morgan dollar design on one side. This one was printed in blue. It has the modern Bison nickel design on it.

It says, "John C. Knudsen, Numismatist" on it.

Now, out of the millions of wooden nickels that company undoubtedly prints every year, what are the odds that...

1) The one that snuck into my box would be from another coin dealer? They market to all kinds of companies, not just the numismatic trade.

2) It would be not just from another coin dealer, but one I happen to have done business with several times, and...

3) ... not just somebody I know, but a forum member, and a Darksider, and...

4) ... not just a Darksider, but the person who's probably second-most responsible (behind Aethelred) for getting me interested in Roman coins two years ago (perhaps around the time I ordered the wooden dollars)?

John's wooden nickel was down at the bottom of my box, so I know it wasn't something I got from him which accidentally got mixed into mine. It had to have happened at the factory.

Weird, huh?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>4) ... not just a Darksider, but the person who's probably second-most responsible (behind Aethelred) for getting me interested in Roman coins two years ago >>

D'oh, sorry!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, I was inclined to that particular insanity anyway. It would have happened sooner or later, without you. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Eh, I was inclined to that particular insanity anyway. It would have happened sooner or later, without you. image >>

Yeah, and Lincoln would have died sooner or later without Booth, but....
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guy need to get a room or something?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Eww!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I need a room.

I wouldn't wanna share it with him, though. He has even more coins and books and clutter than I do. I saw his basement.

At least he has a basement. Basements don't exist down here in the Low Country.

I sure wish I had somewhere to call my "office", instead of a small corner of the combination living room/kitchen in our tiny mobile home. No wonder stuff gets buried in the clutter so much. We've got plenty of land out here in the boondocks, but not much house. image

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You saw his basement?

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    "It's puts the lotion on"

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>You saw his basement? >>

Yes. Ye Dead King's Dungeon is suitably spooky, too.

But I'm still jealous of all that space he has down there for his clutter.

Very fascinating clutter, I might add.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"It's puts the lotion on" >>

image Good one! Great movie.

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I have one of your wooden dollars around here somewhere.