Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French Piedfort Gold Question??

I normally don't post over here, but I thought you guys could help me out. I recently came across a pair of 1979 French 1 Franc Piedfort Gold coins. One is New Caledonia and the other is French Polynesia. Both are in sealed Monnaie de Paris plastic celephane. According to Krause, these mintages on these coins are 94 and 93 pieces respectively.

Do these have any sort of premium over melt? If so, anyone have an idea of what that is? It seems like these are low enough mintages, but it just depends if there are collectors for this stuff. I looked online and really couldn't find any information on these.

Thanks in advance!

Robbie
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Not knowing the series, I would say there would be a premium, just have to find the right buyer. I would hate to see a coin with a mintage below 100 get sent off to the smelter...
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins, might be interested. These coins in the right auction can bring money, but as low as the mintage there are not a lot of collectors. PM me if you like.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    If you still have them, I would also be interested. image

Cate
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I normally don't post over here, but I thought you guys could help me out. I recently came across a pair of 1979 French 1 Franc Piedfort Gold coins. One is New Caledonia and the other is French Polynesia. Both are in sealed Monnaie de Paris plastic celephane. According to Krause, these mintages on these coins are 94 and 93 pieces respectively.

Do these have any sort of premium over melt? If so, anyone have an idea of what that is? It seems like these are low enough mintages, but it just depends if there are collectors for this stuff. I looked online and really couldn't find any information on these.

Thanks in advance!

Robbie >>

You might want to do a search on the US Coin forum. We have discussed Piedforts there. Though it seems at least one of the threads got poofed by an overzealous lady monitor.