Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Wyon's St. George

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of my all-time favorite designs, and I think I've seen it on the Bay of E maybe twice in the last 6 or so years that I've been looking for it (not counting the modern fantasy set). Too bad it's in the shape it is. Wyon's St George

I always think of this as Trozau's design though image.

Cathy

edited to add old and bad pix of a silver version I have. It's packed away now so I won't see it for 2 years...and I can't get a better shot.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the silver a LOT. Second image does not load for me. Nice, Nice, Nice!

As for the copper, "Run, Forrest, Run". That verdigris in combo with the bronzing treatment are headed for much more trouble and can not be remedied.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That is a lovely design, and you're right, a real shame about the condition.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a neat one-- a matte finish? What is the story on that one? The design was used multiple times--I've seen a couple bronze examples, the silver one I got (a polytechic institute award and not a matte finish) and then pictures of the gold courtesy of trozau. The gold one looked matte as well--and I'm wondering if that was the original piece the design was made for??? I have a little information on it somewhere...but I'll have to dig around for it and hopefully it's not packed up.

Cathy

edited to add: Well, duh, here is an old PM from 2003 wherein I got an answer to my nosy question to Trozau: I wonder if the silver you saw was part of the original 1845 event... (I clipped the picture from the PM).

"It is from an 1845 medallic issue designed by William Wyon. On the obverse is Prince Albert (Queen Victoria's husband and on the reverse is St George and the dragon. The medal is gold in composition, 4 ounces and is 56 mm in diameter. The version on my sig line was a Photoshop edit done by my son. Below is the actual photo of the medal's reverse. There is a modern struck fantasy pattern crown by Donald Golder dated 1879 (crown is actually struck 2000) which has a copy (not quite an exact copy) of Wyon's St George and the dragon".

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Hey Cathy,

Thanks again for letting me acquire your bronze Polytechnic medal. Yes, the original Wyon medal with Prince Albert obverse was issued in gold, silver, bronze (and white metal?). This info, I got from Paul Bosco (a medal dealer/collector) who originally got the pictured gold medal from a Stack's auction which he in turn sold to a dealer who held it for some years then consigned it to the Superior auction (where the pics came from).

Domo arigato gozaimasu!
    trozau (troy ounce gold)