Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Starting a photographics optics blog series

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
I have started a blog series on photographic optics for those who are crazy enough to be interested. In the last year or two I have tried to get a basic understanding of this subject and have found that there are very few practical and reasonably easy to understand sources out there. I have toiled to understand why things work and not just that they do. I am tailoring it to macro optics where the knowledge can actually be kinda useful (in a geeky sort of way). You may need to go back to the beginning as the most recent posting is on top. I will try to update it fairly regularly. Feel free to comment, ask questions, or report any errors that you see.

link

fixed the link.
coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    link not working, try this:

link
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark.... but the link didn't work for me????

edit... Thanks Bluevette
  • Options
    anybody else interested?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    I'm interested! Thanks Mark!
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice of you Mark....but ...hurts my head.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool, can I put a link to your site on my site ..........under photography? >>

Link all you want.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice write-up, Mark!

For those not familiar with the subject (or Mark's blog), you should read the articles from bottom to top (1 then 2 then 3)-- otherwise you may become lost.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark, Some discussion on resolving power of lens/sensor combinations (i.e. circle of confusion) may be beneficial to your discussion....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    The list of things to go through is endless . I am trying to keep it in a reasonable order to get the basics out of the way.

not sure if I can order it reverse so it plays like a series and not a blog.

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Truly a lot of work and I for one appreciate it. Thanks.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark and good timing. We are planning on doing an upgrade to our equiptment and would like to do so in the next couple of weeks. Any additional info will be welcomed.
  • Options
    Indeed, I also appreciate your efforts.

Steve
    WILL WORK FOR CENTS, QUARTERS, HALVES, DOLLARS....

1879-O{Rev}: 1st coin of my "secret set"
    imagemy eBay
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I'll be posting there, if that's possible? image I've got some issues as I suppose most of us macro numismatic photographers do.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>not sure if I can order it reverse so it plays like a series and not a blog. >>

I had this same problem at DLRC doing my Commem series. I had to change the dates posted to make it work.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>anybody else interested? >>

Hell Yeah! Stuff is way over my head but am learning to run a lazer. Focal length through a lense is critical with 3/4 inch thick steel.

Thanks for the link!

I also find this helpfull in coin pics.

Old Dog,, new tricks,, gotta love it!

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    I just bookmarked it, will check it out after work, thanks Mark!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noted and bookmarked.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read parts of it yesterday. Very interesting. It really makes me wonder who figured this stuff out the first time around in order to make it work. I envy smart people......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    you seem very knowledgeable. rss'd
  • Options
    The more I dig into optics, the more painfully complex it gets. Much of it is way beyond my abilities and requires mad math skillz. It really makes you admire the guys who designed lenses 150 years ago with paper and pencils - staggeringly complex.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great idea. I am just curious what your publisher has to say about blogging about topics related to the book that you wrote. Do they have any right of first refusal on any new information that you come up with related to coin photography?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    I only have a contract for my first book. Not a lot of optics in the first book, not really needed for the subject.

The second book has no contract/agreement. I didn't want a timeline, so I made no promises. They will get the first shot at it when it is done. The second book is also mostly practical info on techniques and equipment (I have done a huge amount of lens testing to see what really works the best). It does have a smattering of optical info where useful. You don't need to understand this stuff to take pictures.

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have always been impressed with your photos

reading this blog brings back physics concepts I never learned very well

and even as I try to improve my photos, I realize I will never be as good as the masters

I have not got your book yet, but probably will some time

My biggest problems have been focusing (which your blog to now will help)

and reproducing the vivid colors on awesome toned coins -

light source intensity and angle of coin are holding me back image
    there are some coins that I just can not do them justice (I guess I am not alone with that - and looking on eBay, my pictures are better than many)

some day - it would be nice to be able to have pics like 'greattoning' or 'great southern coin'
    on a consistent basis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file