Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is there a known proof or specimen mintage for L'An 4 Five Franc coins?

Anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Will,

You might find your answer here if you haven't looked there already:

Union et Force

EDIT: The site doesn't show completely in Firefox browser. Use Internet Explorer. It also says so on the home page.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will,

You might find your answer here if you haven't looked there already:

Union et Force

EDIT: The site doesn't show completely in Firefox browser. Use Internet Explorer. It also says so on the home page. >>

Thanks very much. I don't speak French but using an online translator I can figure it out.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... Thanks very much. I don't speak French but using an online translator I can figure it out. >>

I had to do the same. Even though the online translators make mistakes, even big ones, it's enough to figure out what's being said. And it's surprising how fast one starts to pick up some French words.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options

At the begining of the struck in Paris (1796/An 4), they used a collar but it was too slow and they stopped this modus operandi.
    Among the 3 184 061 coins strucked during An 4 we are sure that at least 253 806 were strucked with collar with a maximum estimation of 500 000.
    Some specimens were initially strucked for validation by Ministry of Finance. We know also some proofs in tin.
    If you post a picture of your coin maybe i can say more