Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with pricing

So I have a few Canadian Dollars laying out the other day when a friend of mine sees a 1971 Commemorative Silver Dollar that is toned. He is infatuated with it and offers me $25.00 for it. I decline telling him that I wasn't interested in departing with it for that price or at the moment. He tells me that is the best price I would ever get for the coin. Seeing as how the coin would grade in the high SP 60's and it is nicely toned, I'm inclined to tell him that he needs to rethink his coin prices. Now Charlton does list it in sp66 at $20.00 but how much, if any, does the toning add to it. I know that Canadian toned coins are a dime a dozen but I see them go on ebay all over the price range. If you were to buy this coin what would you pay for it? Did my best with the pics to get the color out. I wish they were a bit sharper but the color came out like I wanted it.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Take the money! -Dan
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    Todd,

they are indeed a dime a dozen, which is why the price range is way out of whack; some want folks to think they are "rare" and try to find a sucker that will pay over a hundred bucks for them. I've owned close to a hundred of these, from 67-73, with varying degrees of toning (all were attractive though, I don't bother with the ugly ones). I paid anywhere from $5-$25 for them, raw or NGC/PCGS slabbed. Many (about 50%) had really wild and colorful toning that were stunning, but quite common on these coins too. Based on my experiences and just how frequent they come up, I personally wouldn't pay over $25 or so. Just me two shillings....

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I hate petty small decisions!
  • Options
    Sell it and buy another one to replace it, then use the leftover money to buy another coin. image
  • Options
    That coin CAN be replaced!
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    One thing I have noticed about Canadian dollars (commemoratives) is that even though they aren't high mintage numbers, this one for instance is 585,217, you see them ALL OVER THE PLACE... It's like millions were made or no one wants them. I'm glad this one is at least silver and not nickel!
    Todd
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nickel ones don't tone. They weren't made for circulation, are only .500 silver, so I don't think that many were melted, meaning a lot of them survived. That is why you see so many of them.

Yours is nice because the toning is on both sides. Usually only one side toned. Also, for a 1971 you have pretty nice colors. It probably is a $25 coin. I personlly wouldn't sell it for much less than that.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have sold the coin.

Toned 1971s are indeed quite common and can be purchased in the $10 range. SP66 coins list for C$20 in Charlton. To get it slabbed would cost over $25. If it makes 67 then its value jumps to C$40. Still not a break even point.

As Dan wrote - take the $.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay