Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help with info on this Chinese One Tael coin?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
My sister was at Mammouth Cave with her grandson and someone gave the boy this coin.

I know it is a Chinese One Tael from HU-Peh Province. If looks to be XF or so.

I assume the side with the Chinese writing contains a date. Can anyone tell me what the year of the coin is?

I found a similiar coin on eBay:

eBay coin

Any info on the coin pictured as far as date or value or anything else you might know about it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, GrandAm image
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    According to the 1991 World catalog Hu Peh one Tael were only issued in year 30 (1904). 37.7g x .877 fine = 1.0631 ASW
    Looking at the top of your first picture and at the right end of the top picture you can read the first 4 characters (right to left as Kuang Hsu (emperor 1875-1908 same characters as top and bottom of the 1 cash coin), 3 dashes on top of each other (3), + (10). That is as far as I can go.

There is a 3rd language on your coin - Manchu. It is phonetic and the letters are arranged top to bottom to form words looking like sish ke-babs.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    These coins are mass produced in China. The can be bought in bulk at any street market for the equivalent of US$0.10-0.25. Chances that the coin is real are slim.

Auto
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.
  • Options

<< <i>Looking at the top of your first picture and at the right end of the top picture you can read the first 4 characters (right to left as Kuang Hsu (emperor 1875-1908), 3 dashes on top of each other (3), + (10). >>

The next character is "year".

Many Asian coins are dated in the same manner - the regnal name of the ruler, followed by numbers designating the year of his reign and the character for year. (I'm not aware of any female ruler issuing coins dated in that manner.) Since inception of the Republic in 1912, Chinese coins (both mainland and Taiwan) have substituted "Republic of China" for the regnal name, and otherwise follow the same pattern.

<< <i>Chances that the coin is real are slim. >>

The slight separation of the denticles from the rim is strong evidence in favor of that opinion.
    Roy