Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ernie Davis autograph

Anyone have any idea of the value of an Ernie Davis autograph from 1961? It's on a page in an autograph book. Thanks.

Comments

• jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Can the auto be matted for display? I've bid on a couple random ernie davis autos and not been close at between 1000 and 1500, also was outbid at over 3000 for a very nice one.

What do you have, and is it for sale?
  • Haven't decided on selling yet. Still learning the forum. Not sure how to add photos to message. Her's my try.

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    That's a very nice autograph. Very cool item!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Very nice autograph. You're talking well over $1k...possibly up to $3k or $4k.

I would love to find a signed 61 Nu Scoop or 62 Topps for my Heisman auto'd card set.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Fantastic item! image
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowimage That is an amazing item. Would make a great piece framed with a nice minty 62 Topps RC.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • jimq112 - Wanted to make sure you saw the scan I posted. Your thoughts?
  • Thanks for the comments and input. After reading everything, I did a little digging and found this photo for sale online, entitled "Ernie Davis Signing Autographs". Unbelievable! When I saw the photo, I was stunned because I can very confidently say that I AM THE YOUNG BOY AT THE TOP OF THE PHOTO WEARING THE TIE! How cool is that?

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the comments and input. After reading everything, I did a little digging and found this photo for sale online, entitled "Ernie Davis Signing Autographs". Unbelievable! When I saw the photo, I was stunned because I can very confidently say that I AM THE YOUNG BOY AT THE TOP OF THE PHOTO WEARING THE TIE! How cool is that?
    image >>

THAT is AMAZING! If that is the case (and you don't need to sell the auto) you MUST buy that pic and have the signature matted with it!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am speechless. That would make for a family heirloom like no other. Also, you should have a short bio of Ernie included in the matte.

Good Luck!!!!
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I'm not a football auto collector but that is just awesome! I can't wait to see the final piece!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Awesome story; thanks for sharing!!! If only he had just signed your autograph and THAT was visible in the pic too!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - that's a beauty of an auto!

Have to confess - I didn't realize his sig was that scarce!

Congratulations on having such a sweet copy and thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
    I saw the scan this morning and I love the signature but it doesn't do as much for me as the one I was outbid on. One of my friends played for Syracuse and was a freshman when Davis was a senior. Davis had signed a program and I wanted to get it to have my friend sign it also.

That said, I agree that you have to buy the photo shown. That's the kind of provenance that makes for big dollar sales at auction. It's easily worth $1500 to me, but I think if you need to sell it that you would get a lot more with the right provenance and the right exposure.

That sig if dated correctly was signed about 2 months before he found out he was sick.

What else is in the autograph book?
  • Davis was drafted by the Redskins and quickly traded to the Browns. Unfortunately, Davis was struck with leukemia and died on May 18, 1963, at the age of 23, without ever playing an NFL game.

• Only other sports autograph is a Pee Wee Reese signed at Cleveland Stadium when he and Dizzy were calling a game in 1961. Unfortunately, Diz was calling the game and didn't sign. I do have a Joe Dimaggio that my Mom got for me at spring training once, probably in the 70's if I recall. And see my earlier thread on the Dodgers letter I have from 59. They passed my letter around the dugout and 16 signed, including 4 HOFers. Wouldn't happen today!
  • Here's the 59 Dodgers letter.

• cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Here's the 59 Dodgers letter.

image >>

I love that letter.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey

<< <i>Davis was drafted by the Redskins and quickly traded to the Browns. Unfortunately, Davis was struck with leukemia and died on May 18, 1963, at the age of 23, without ever playing an NFL game. >>

Art Modell had a dream of having jim brown and ernie davis in the same backfield at the same time, and he actually traded a hall of famer (bobby mitchell) for davis. If I remember right the trade was worked out before the draft, and the redskins took davis for the browns.

Later I believe there was an argument between paul brown and art modell, regarding whether or not to play davis in an actual game (his leukemia was in remission) and that argument was a strong factor in paul brown founding the cincinnati bengals.

I asked about the rest of the auto book because I think it's much collectible as a whole book than if the davis auto was removed. I'd hate to see that page torn or cut out.

• Hey jimq112. did you get the 2 PM's I tried to send to you?

Thanks, lukeeaster
    PM sent, Brian
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Great autograph and photo which adds provenance to said piece
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post Lukeeaster, hopefully you can get your mitts on that photo. What a family treasure that'd be!
  • For some reason, I am not seeing any new messages. Please try the email address I sent you. thanks
  • Saw this today and thought you might find it interesting. Regards

http://daytona.listlux.com/a,48,351074,13-1970s-SYRACUSE-FOOTBALL-GAME-PROGRAMS--.htm