Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Spanish Reale from Antique store

I was at an antique store this afternoon and saw a small bowl listed "Spanish Reales $30". I know NOTHING about these, but was intrigued. I ended up buying a well-shaped shaped one, in at least VG condition, dated 1771. It is just larger, but perhaps thinner than a quarter. I believe it to be authentic. I could find no matching coin on Ebay and very little about such coins on the web. Does anyone know of a good website? Was I ripped off? Did I score? I like the coin, but suspect that I overpaid. Sorry, no pictures.
I collect circulated U.S. silver

Comments

• Options
    A Mexican 2 Reales is a little bigger than a quarter and would have R 2 besides the shield. It should have an F to the left of the large crown if Mexican. Collector value may be worth about $15 with heavy wear (VG) to around $75 with moderate wear (VF) to maybe $125 with light wear (XF). This coin should weigh 6.77 grams and would contain .1996 of an ounce of silver.
    You might try Ebay.com for similar pieces for comparison.
    Brad
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    Hello. I have a modest collection on my website with images. You might find something to match your coin.

Spanish Colonial
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Definately a 2 reales. To the right of the shield is "II CF", and to the left is ""R S"
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    ah sounds like a pistareen, then. I would have thought it would be a colonial piece.

$30.00 in VG might be a little high, but not terribly.