Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I love this modern Tunisia 1969 one Dinar.

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Nice toning. Get some pretty tones out of the original case, but most were destroyed in a flood at the mint storage area..
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful coin with an ugly guy on it. That Habib Bourguiba fella has a rather brutish looking face, sorta like Mussolini did.

Nice rainbow on the reverse. Is it a silver piece?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes silver
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    The OP example is from a Franklin Mint set (note the stylized F near the N of DINAR). Even though many of the FM sets were ruined they are priced at about 1/3 of the NI (Arezzo, Italy mint) issues.

Maybe it was only the cases that got damaged while the coins toned as shown. I haven't seen a NI example so have no basis for comparison. My FM set has similar but not quite as vibrant toning.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a beautiful coin with an ugly guy on it. That Habib Bourguiba fella has a rather brutish looking face, sorta like Mussolini did.

Nice rainbow on the reverse. Is it a silver piece? >>

Well, Habib Bourguiba was, besides ruthless, a little nuts, but one has to admit he got things done in Tunisia. He did get removed from office in 1987 (declared senile) and lived to the ripe old age of 97 (died 2000).

Wikipedia article on Habib Bourguiba.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • How did this coin go over in the homeland?

Here we have a Moslem country coin and a saint and doctor of the Holy Roman Catholic Church with a cross is pictured on it.
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How did this coin go over in the homeland?

Here we have a Moslem country coin and a saint and doctor of the Holy Roman Catholic Church with a cross is pictured on it. >>

It's from the Franklin Mint? Then I strongly doubt a single one of these coins has ever been anywhere near North Africa.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Well, infact...
    Saint Augustine was one of the many Roman Catholic Saints of North Africa.
    Christianity was extremely influential and important back in the day.
    Currently Tunisia has more than 98% of Muslims.
    Since Tunisia was right under Italian Land, the Christians there in Tunisia must've fled to Italy, or traveled voluntarily.

Great Coin! Lots of detail.

TheKid!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

Here we have a Moslem country coin and a saint and doctor of the Holy Roman Catholic Church with a cross is pictured on it. >>

Habib Bourguiba was a modernist, secular ruler, along the lines of Kemal Ataturk in Turkey. The Islamists hated him for a lot more than just issuing coins featuring Christian saints.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's from the Franklin Mint? Then I strongly doubt a single one of these coins has ever been anywhere near North Africa. >>

Well said. I suspect you're right. I have often wondered how many of the world's PR and MS sets actually appear in their respective countries, especially those minted by FM. Even if FM were out of the picture, there's still Canada, Australia, US or Britain making most of the countries' coins.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• LochNESS - Welcome to the forums!

I see you are busy reading the old threads. There is a lot of information here.
    Thanks! Yep, I'm here to learn.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny this should come up- I have seen the set of these in a red case, the Franklin Mint AND Numismatic Italiana with a card - not in english- so was this one of the Franklin Mint issues even though NI is also on the interior of the case?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Not sure about whether it came from F.M., N.I. or both - but PCGS slabbed this one 1969-FM-NI (so both?)

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin, even if Habib kinda look like Marlon Brandoimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember this thread, and the coin in the OP.

Funny how my thoughts upon seeing it again exactly echoed those of three years ago. I guess I'm consistent for once. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Just having fun with the Brando remark image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Here is the entire set with Paperwork and Box.. Very very hard to find them all together. If these never saw Africa,, they wasted a lot of time and money on Arab paperwork.

imageimage

imageimage
    Well damn! Very impressive set. They look to be perfect condition from this perspective. Thanks for sharing!!!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Thanks,they should all go 68 or 69 some with nice tone, its for sale. I also have some singles for saleimage
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Venus go shopping at Frederick's? She has quite a, err...., dophin (??) there!

Nice set - always wanted one and wimped out when they were very reasonable.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    I haven't seen a complete set like that in years. Do you believe in mermaids,, thats part of my bare breast ladies on coins collection.
    Okay- quick question-

The set in the red box pictured in this thread- is that the Franklin Mint issue or the Italian mint issue?

<< <i>I haven't seen a complete set like that in years. Do you believe in mermaids,, thats part of my bare breast ladies on coins collection. >>

You must have a couple Dahomey coins then, or else, they're on your Want List image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Below is a link to my for sale page. Yes I have the Dahomeys. Pictures sent PM

Coincat. The set is Franklin Mint.

Photo album of For sale coins.
    mine is the Franklin set as well- I was uondering if the set minted in Italy had a different case

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the entire set with Paperwork and Box.. Very very hard to find them all together. If these never saw Africa,, they wasted a lot of time and money on Arab paperwork.

imageimage

imageimage >>

I regret selling that to you!image
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I've owned two of those red box sets. Both were FM.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay