Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS Regrade Question

I have never submitted PCGS slabs, asking for a regrade. But, I know many Forum members probably have, and they can answer my question.
I have a Lincoln short set 90% completed, so I'm entitled to 4 free gradings. The coins eligible to submit must be Lincolns dated 1934-1958. But,
I have no eligible coins worthy of grading. I, also, have no cross overs to submit. The other service level available is the regrade, where the PCGS
coin is removed and reevaluated. Here's my question. Are these regraded coins reholdered into another new slab, or does PCGS use the same slab that the coin was removed from? I do have 4 eligible slabs that are broken with plastic missing. I'd like them reholdered, but if they don't upgrade, I
wouldn't want the same broken slab reused. Can I expect new/unbroken slabs, if I use the regrade level? An upgraded coin is really not my goal,
but new slabs are. Thanks to anyone who has experienced the PCGS regrade process.

RegistryNut image

Comments

• Options
    You will get new slabs with new numbers no matter what the outcome of the grade.
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

And if any of them were Tru-Vu'd, the picture goes away, too...
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a PCGS coin is sent in for regrade it always comes back in a brand new holder. If all you are looking for is a reholder, then that is only $10/coin and a lot cheaper than an actual regrade. As for the 4 free gradings, I would search out any raw coins and then use those. It might be a little time consuming, but I think it would be 4 free submissions better spent.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    If you don't plan on buying or trading for any more Lincoln cents to apply towards your set, then go ahead and resubmit the ones with the broken holders. At worst, you're out the cost of postage and four times the (theoretical) price difference between a grade and a reholdering. At best, you could get upgrades.

Alternatively, you may be better off cherry-picking among your coins, condition of holder aside, for the ones that seem most likely to regrade higher. Granted, you are still left with holders that need replacing, but if it boosts the perceived value more in line with what the coins should be worth, it'll (again theoretically) pay for itself.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.
    Good ideas and suggestions.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    Next question:

what happens to a coin in the registry set if it is resubmitted? If the coin is renumbered when it is reholdered, regardless of it's new grade, then does the old number (and the coin with it) automatically disappear from one's registry sets? Or, do I have to remove the now non-existent number manually before re-entering the coin?
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    That's a valid question, Scott. Someone, who has experienced the regrade process, will probably answer
    shortly. Logic tells me the old slab becomes invalid and would be deleted from the PCGS data base. That
    action would create an empty slot in your Registry sets, forcing you to enter the regraded coin's
    certification number. However, logic doesn't always prevail in PCGS land.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    Your logic is correct. They are automatically deleted from your inventory/sets. You will then have to manually enter the new coins.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you can ask to keep the same cert numbers. You may want to ask customer service.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I have an update on my 4 free gradings. I did use the regrade option, as I had no raw Lincolns worthy of
    submitting. I submitted 3 slabs that had broken plastic and 1 slab which I felt could actually upgrade. All
    Forum member's replys were correct. All 4 coins were housed in new holders with new certification
    numbers. The old certs are now invalid. But, besides receiving new slabs, my ms65rd 1951 Lincoln was
    upgraded to an ms66rd. Pretty cool, for a change, to upgrade a $20 coin to a $310 coin. I've been
    collecting Lincoln's since 1960, and little things like this still thrill me. And that's pretty cool too.

Thanks For Listening,
    RegistryNut image
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, RegistryNut! '51 is tough in 66!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Next question:

what happens to a coin in the registry set if it is resubmitted? If the coin is renumbered when it is reholdered, regardless of it's new grade, then does the old number (and the coin with it) automatically disappear from one's registry sets? Or, do I have to remove the now non-existent number manually before re-entering the coin? >>

The set is automatically updated with the new cert number - the old number disappears.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your logic is correct. They are automatically deleted from your inventory/sets. You will then have to manually enter the new coins. >>

No, on a regrade they automatically replace the old cert number with the new number in your set.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the upgrade.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    My regrade was automatically re-registered with my set. The information on the coin, including the photo, was deleted and had to be re-entered, but the coin itself still showed up in all my sets. My finished set stayed finished, for instance.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on getting your set to 100% Michael.
    Way to go with that 48-P among others!
    Lots of great cents in there.