Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

SOMEbody belongs in the Mother Mary Institute for the Hopelessly Insane...

I'm just not quite sure Who!

I stiil have trouble dealing with how inexpensively these wonderful little slices of history can
be delivered to your door step and tucked away into your little "this is 200 years old, it's real,
it's gorgeous, and it's mine!" ditty box.

I have no idea how many of these were made. But in 1912, even 50,000 would be a very low
mintage compared to the millions of modern coins that are minted today and selling for jaw
dropping prices.

And can you imagine how many have survived in this kind of condition? I'd be very surprised if
it's even 2 percent of the original mintage.

"Oooh butt, butt....

Granted there were 2 billion 1963 Roosevelt dimes minted and most of them are still around in cookie jars and piggy banks,
but THIS one has SPLIT bands on the torch!

So it's a BARgain at $2,500, uh, huh......"

This medal was issued to more or less get the French people all waxed up about the distinct probabilty that they would be overrun
by hordes of German vandals that you can see depicted just over the horizon.

And it was prophetic indeed since we all know what happened in WW1.

Check the French liberty symbol telling the youngster what's about to happen and why he should
prepare for it by enlisting in the French Army.

Check the bi-plane, the powder burners, the lion of courage and the "for God and country" exhortations on the reverse.

Propaganda? Of course it is. But, as the saying goes " It ain't bragging if it's the truth".

On the other hand, maybe you believe this little jewel is worth less than the cost of an oil change at
Grease Monkey.

Fine with me brother.

We all have our priorities..... :+)

From the seller....

Original Art medal, in bronze, 1912 " Préparation Militaire ", 50mm, issued for the Ministry of War, in very good condition as scanned,
nicks on rim, edge marked "Bronze" with horn (Paris mint )*, with case.

This medal was a warning to WWI which was to start several years later. 

Obv. female seated on cannon instructing young man with rifle.
Rev. lion in front of tombstone, aeroplane and military trophies around.

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    A beauty of a piece, I have the Bronze , Silver and Gold Gilt of that piece with their boxes. They are part of my lions.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the sportscaster-like commentary. It caused me to pay attention to some of the finer details I might have otherwise overlooked. image

Cool piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I really like how you "sports castered" it too.

Nice story.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I gave up on the first sentence... It was like watching a train wreck...
  • Options
    Definitely something I've discovered since joining the dark side.

Early English copper can be had very inexpensively. Especially, when compared to similar dates, or even much earlier, to early U.S. copper.

Collecting is fun again!
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>A beauty of a piece, I have the Bronze , Silver and Gold Gilt of that piece with their boxes. They are part of my lions.image >>

Now that's what I would call a pride.