Home Sports Talk

Mets exec challenges minor league team to fight

TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
Tony Bernazard - oh my

ESPN.com news services
Jul 22, 2009

Tony Bernazard, a New York Mets executive, recently challenged one of club's minor league teams to a fight during a postgame clubhouse tirade, the New York Daily News reported, citing multiple sources with ties to the team.

Bernazard, the team's vice president for player development, pulled off his shirt and challenged the Double-A Binghamton Mets in the tirade, about 10 days before the All-Star break. He in particular targeted middle infield prospect Jose Coronado, according to the report.

Binghamton had gone 1-6 during an early July homestand that coincided with the outburst, losing three of those games by at least seven runs. The team was 37-58 and in last place in the Eastern League Northern Division entering Wednesday's scheduled games.

Allegations of underage drinking on the team were apparently another factor in Bernazard's tirade, an organization source said, according to the report.

"It's ridiculous that anyone in a professional baseball environment thinks it's acceptable," a friend of several players said, according to the report.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya said Bernazard spoke to the minor-league team in a "stern voice," but said he had no knowledge of the particulars.

"I know he did have a team meeting with them," Minaya said, according to the Daily News. "It was not a 'you-guys-have-been-great meeting.' I know he spoke to them in a stern voice. But as far as what he was wearing, what kind of shoes he was wearing, I don't know anything about that."

It's the second report in two days of startling behavior by Bernazard, 52, who has been fingered in the media as a key influence behind the firings of manager Willie Randolph and pitching coach Rick Peterson last season.

The Daily News reported on Tuesday that at a recent game at Citi Field, Bernazard, who wanted a seat behind home plate that was occupied by an Arizona Diamondbacks scout, unleashed a profanity-laced tirade against a subordinate who suggested he wait until the half-inning was over to take the seat.

It has not been a good season on the field for the Mets' top farm teams. Their top affiliate, the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons, is an International League-worst 34-58 entering Wednesday's games.

Comments

• and you wonder why the mets are the most barren franchise in sports.....
    not only is their major league team laughable (they get shutout in half the games) their farm system is the worst in the league (by a long shot)...

the only thing the Mets farm system is good at is Over hyping young Punk ballplayers who are MLB flops....
  • if manaya has his job at the end of the year, then he must have some videos on the wilpons....
    he single handedly destroyed this franchise by TRYING TO MAKE THEM INTO AN ALL LATINO TEAM......
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Might as well teach them to fight. The Major leauge team sure isn't.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he single handedly destroyed this franchise by TRYING TO MAKE THEM INTO AN ALL LATINO TEAM....

Minaya may not deserve to stay on, but this myth about the "all latino" team is really ridiculous...in case you haven't heard, by the way, most of MLB's best players hapopen to be Latino in the first place, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mets are in such disarray right now...a little hard to believe considering all the money they spend...and it doesn't appear like it will get better for them anytime soon.
    Mets fans could always switch allegiance to another NL team that is geographically closest to them. image
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The biggest problem with the Mets is their medical staff. It seems every time someone has a hangnail or a cramp, it turns into something much more serious. But then again, these are the same idiots that flew Ryan Church to Colorado the same day he suffered a severe concussion.

Is it any wonder that Beltran and Maine have decided to seek second opinions from doctors NOT associated with the team?
    Agree with regard to Mets medical staff...they sound like a bunch of crackpots and I wouldn't trust them either...Beltran is rumored to be pissed off also that they told him he was cleared to play and he was still hurt...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Now it's the Mets "medical staff' responsible for the Mets losing. Oh my gosh...Mets fans have more excuses for losing than Kirstie Alley has for being fat. LOL
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    And I thought it was Swartzie that had a reading comprehension problem.

Where in the above post did anyone make an excuse for losing?

Met fans have not used all the injuries as an excuse for all the losing.

It is what it is.

Only an idiot would not see that it is the reason. But then again we are talking about Phillie fans here.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Now it's the Mets "medical staff' responsible for the Mets losing.

Hold on a second here, you yourself last week went on and on how the trainers and medical staff were the reason

the Mets have so many injuries this season. Typically you like to speak out of both sides of your mouth.

Steve

Good for you.

<< <i>Now it's the Mets "medical staff' responsible for the Mets losing.

Hold on a second here, you yourself last week went on and on how the trainers and medical staff were the reason

the Mets have so many injuries this season. Typically you like to speak out of both sides of your mouth.

Steve >>

The Mets have had a lot of injuries, but it's management's fault for signing out of shape, unmotivated mercenaries who don't put in the work to ensure that they don't get injured - I think you'll understand this one of these days...mercenaries don't win championships. Case closed.
    SteveK:

Are you comprehension challenged or do you just like to waste your time pushing nothing into a mountain of something else.

I stated, "The biggest problem with the Mets is their medical staff." It did not have anything to do with their losing record, the players they've signed or developed or anything else with regard to their roster. It was a statement pointing out that the team is either ill-equipped to accurately diagnose injuries or prefers to mislead when issuing status reports on players' injuries and then treating these injuries as per their incorrect reports.

I am certainly not a Mets fan, but I would think that anyone with the slightest ability to comprehend the written word would understand the statement and not try to infer that such an observation would be tantamount to an excuse for poor play and bad management. But then again, you've never been one to let facts get in the way of what you want to spew forth.

With regard to the Mets/Phillies, I'll refrain from specific comment, but suffice it to say that you may wish to be a little more objective in your analysis and application of the term "mercenaries."

<< <i>SteveK:

Are you comprehension challenged or do you just like to waste your time pushing nothing into a mountain of something else.

I stated, "The biggest problem with the Mets is their medical staff." It did not have anything to do with their losing record, the players they've signed or developed or anything else with regard to their roster. It was a statement pointing out that the team is either ill-equipped to accurately diagnose injuries or prefers to mislead when issuing status reports on players' injuries and then treating these injuries as per their incorrect reports.

I am certainly not a Mets fan, but I would think that anyone with the slightest ability to comprehend the written word would understand the statement and not try to infer that such an observation would be tantamount to an excuse for poor play and bad management. But then again, you've never been one to let facts get in the way of what you want to spew forth.

With regard to the Mets/Phillies, I'll refrain from specific comment, but suffice it to say that you may wish to be a little more objective in your analysis and application of the term "mercenaries." >>

Okay, then whose fault is it....lemme think because I'm "comprehension challenged"...lemme think...uh who HIRES the medical staff?...lemme think some more...I think i got it...the MANAGEMENT HIRES THE MEDICAL STAFF.....LOL

Why don't you just admit that the problem is that the management of the Mets absolutely sucks...and based on the FACTS of the Mets choking the past few seasons, and already out of it for this season and it's only July, despite spending all this money...you're the one who is "comprehension challenged" if you can't figure this one out.

Your statement "The biggest problem with the Mets is their medical staff." is flawed and incorrect...the biggest problem is the Mets management. Case closed.

<< <i>

<< <i>SteveK:

With regard to the Mets/Phillies, I'll refrain from specific comment, but suffice it to say that you may wish to be a little more objective in your analysis and application of the term "mercenaries." >>

Okay, then whose fault is it....lemme think because I'm "comprehension challenged"...lemme think...uh who HIRES the medical staff?...lemme think some more...I think i got it...the MANAGEMENT HIRES THE MEDICAL STAFF.....LOL

Why don't you just admit that the problem is that the management of the Mets absolutely sucks...and based on the FACTS of the Mets choking the past few seasons, and already out of it for this season and it's only July, despite spending all this money...you're the one who is "comprehension challenged" if you can't figure this one out.

Your statement "The biggest problem with the Mets is their medical staff." is flawed and incorrect...the biggest problem is the Mets management. Case closed. >>

I guess you are challenged. You're trying to point blame. That wasn't the case. It is a given that management has the full responsibility of ALL aspects of the team. But you seem to be more intent on micro managing the situation so that you can twist my statement into something that it is not.

Ownership and the way that ownership handles a team is a constant (unless ownership changes). Given that constant as management, then one should identify the other areas that are flawed. The most glaring, outside of performance and the minor league system, is the medical staff and their incorrect evaluations over the past 2+ seasons. Why would ANY professional athlete want to go to an organization that cannot effectively evaluate and manage the health of their players? Case closed.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>SteveK:

Your statement "The biggest problem with the Mets is their medical staff." is flawed and incorrect...the biggest problem is the Mets management. Case closed. >>

I guess you are challenged. You're trying to point blame. That wasn't the case. It is a given that management has the full responsibility of ALL aspects of the team. But you seem to be more intent on micro managing the situation so that you can twist my statement into something that it is not.

Ownership and the way that ownership handles a team is a constant (unless ownership changes). Given that constant as management, then one should identify the other areas that are flawed. The most glaring, outside of performance and the minor league system, is the medical staff and their incorrect evaluations over the past 2+ seasons. Why would ANY professional athlete want to go to an organization that cannot effectively evaluate and manage the health of their players? Case closed. >>

Hey if you're gonna debate, argue or whatever ya wanna call it, at least comprehend your own comments for goodness sakes. LOL

You stated: "The biggest problem with the Mets is their medical staff"

then you stated: "I guess you are challenged. You're trying to point blame"

YOU POINTED THE BLAME LOL, LOL, LOL...I was pointing out that your blame while justified, is flawed and incorrect in the context that you're pointing it in the wrong direction...talk about "comprehension challenged" when ya can't even comprehend and follow your own comments. image

I guess I gotta explain "the obvious" further...if ya go to an incompetent doctor and don't get good results, and ya keep going back to and using that doctor, then at some point ya don't blame the doctor, ya gotta blame yourself for using an incompetent doctor. Understand now? Probably not. It's the METS MANAGEMENT that is the biggest problem...and ya know what...I'm glad Mets fans and Mets ownership can't figure this out...because I like it when the Mets lose. Ha! Ha!

So go ahead...you keep saying and believing "The biggest problem with the Mets is their medical staff" - that's fine by me! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Mets fans can continue discussing their medical staff.....Phillies fans will be discussing topics such as the best pitching rotation to use in the playoffs. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
    With all due respect SteveK, no one is blaiming the Mets medical staff for their won-loss record but only a complete fool would think that the rash of injuries and questionable disagnoses is a good thing for a major league club. When star players like Beltran are seeking second opinions because they do not trust the Mets' staff, that is an alarming precedent.

Steve:

I'm not BLAMING anyone... I was just pointing out that regardless of any constant, the biggest problem the Mets have is their medical staff. This has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that what player worth their salt would want to come to a club that misdiagnoses players so frequently? I realize that management is the root cause, but unless you change ownership, this will continue.

The fact that Bernazard is still employed and the Mets have to "investigate" this matter is proof enough that the Wilpons are complete dolts. They've handcuffed their general manager (as incompetent as Minaya is) in favor of sheilding their buddy Tony B... I'm not sure if Bernazard has compromising photos of the Wilpons, but if he were the employee of any other team and pulled the stuff he's been pulling for the past 2+ years, he'd have to have illicit photos or be the illegitimate son of an owner to keep his job this long.

<< <i>With all due respect SteveK, no one is blaiming the Mets medical staff for their won-loss record but only a complete fool would think that the rash of injuries and questionable disagnoses is a good thing for a major league club. When star players like Beltran are seeking second opinions because they do not trust the Mets' staff, that is an alarming precedent. >>

It's obvious the Mets need a "housecleaning" including the medical staff but it needs to begin with those running the team...that's all I'm saying.

I never stated or implied that the Mets medical staff wasn't a problem...but it's not the Mets "biggest problem"...oh well, we're arguing semantics I guess and perhaps it's "my fault" I shouldn't have started it...so I'll end it here. image