Home Sports Talk
Options

Vick back in the nfl?

I have to admit when he was first sentenced I thought good riddance. Since then, we have burrass shooting himself and stallworth writing a check for killing another human while drunk. My 2 cents is he did his time and has lost 10's of million$ so let him back in and see if any nfl team will take a chance.

Also kudos to Goodell for suspending stallworth

Comments

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Vick may have paid his debt to society by serving his prison sentence, but that does not mean he has regained the privilege of playing in the NFL. Vick forfeited that privilege pursuant to his felony conviction. That said, whether Vick plays in the NFL will likely come down to a business decision, e.g., dollars and cents. And any owner, except perhaps Al Davis, would be seriously out of his mind to think that bringing in Vick would not cause serious financial harm to his team.

/s/ JackWESQ

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Interesting comparison between the plights of Vick and Stallworth:

The People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) are pushing for Michael Vick to undergo mental testing before being allowed to return to pro football.

PETA wants a "psychological evaluation," and doesn't think the 23 months Vick spent in prison were enough. It's interesting to compare the matter to Donte' Stallworth's. Stallworth killed a human, but only got 24 days behind bars for good behavior. Vick already served Stallworth's sentence 29 times.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rumor has it him and Jerry Jones had lunch the other day and a long term guaranteed contract was discussed.
  • Options
    I think he deserves another shot. However, if I was an owner, I wouldn't touch him.
    He' not a good qb in my opinion. He's not really worth the headache from a dollars and sense perspective.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think he deserves another shot. However, if I was an owner, I wouldn't touch him.
    He' not a good qb in my opinion. He's not really worth the headache from a dollars and sense perspective. >>

Agreed, but I dont think any contract he signs will break the bank. The guy has been away from the game for a long time, yes he prolly does have a bunch more in the tank but it will take awhile to get himself NFL ready, I doubt he will get paid much until he proves himself.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    He deserves a shot, but I doubt he gets much more than a one year deal.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting comparison between the plights of Vick and Stallworth:

The People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) are pushing for Michael Vick to undergo mental testing before being allowed to return to pro football.

PETA wants a "psychological evaluation," and doesn't think the 23 months Vick spent in prison were enough. It's interesting to compare the matter to Donte' Stallworth's. Stallworth killed a human, but only got 24 days behind bars for good behavior. Vick already served Stallworth's sentence 29 times. >>

The same PETA that includes euthanasia as a part of their practice of adopting dogs.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

I have no "personal" problem with him working,
    but the NFL will take a money hit if they let him
    back in.

Everytime folks look at him, the first thing they
    will think is, "That guy killed doggies."

It's an unfortunate situation that he brought upon himself.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Let's just say if I was a season ticket holder for any team which I'm not but if I was
    and my team picked up Vick, I would would have to sale my tickets for that year drop
    my season tickets forever and never go to another football game that team played.

Then I would trash talk as many of that teams fans that I can, and make them
    them all feel like image for supporting that team.

And then and only then I would be able to sleep at night.

James

• Options
    there is no way in hell Vick everyplays QB again,
    when he was in his "prime" he was BY FAR the worst "quarterback" in the league,
    he is an option QB at best, something that no team runs in the NFL,

he belongs in the ARENA LEAGUE..thats about it...
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'm a tree-hugging, tofu-loving pinko liberal, but have to say that PETA quite often makes me ill. This isn't one of those times, but the organization is out of its collective mind for suggesting that Vick undergo testing before he is allowed to return. I have no problem with him returning to the league, though - as others have suggested - I think at this point his net impact on a team's on- and off-field fortunes would be negative.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    vick would make a great water boy along with his brother.

Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    They should set an example out of him and never let him back in the NFL. If other players see him come back, it could give the impression that once jail time is served you come back to what you were doing. Just like the steroids case, don't let anyone in the HOF that is found guilty of using performance enhancing drugs, bottom line. Just my opinion, which is what these forums are all about.
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options
    He killed dogs that were killer dogs...I do have a problem with it, but he paid the price... As Stallworth if Vick has paid a big enough price...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    agreed!
  • Options
    Vick should be spayed AND neutered image
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    And now, the waiting game begins. Will any owner sign Michael Vick? (I still don't count Al Davis because he is simply crazy).

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League," Vick said through agent Joel Segal. "I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given."

"As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to re-evaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I have made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward."

"Again, I want to thank the commissioner for the chance to return to the game I love and the opportunity to become an example of positive change."

Those are some well-crafted words from Vick's lawyers, uh I mean straight from his heart.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I hope some linebacker snaps his neck, they can bury him in the backyard.
  • Options
    BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    I hope Detroit picks him up just so he doesn't WIN any games.

I swear, sport presidents are getting to soft.
    oh, you have a felony? you can play NFL. no problem.
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Alot of people keep focusing on the dog killing but he also laundered money, didn't pay people he owed and was involved in illegal gambling. He owes a ton of money and was in bed with gamblers??????? I wonder if he has the moral fiber to resist nudging a few points here and there. Thats what I would be worried about.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set