Home Precious Metals
Options

Thoughts about the 100 Corona?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of Apmex's specials currently. I've always thought it was a beautiful coin. Big, hefty, 33.8753 grams (.9803 troy ounces Au).

They're low premium, but they're not especially popular since the rush of modern bullion coins. Kind of a precursor to the philharmonics, I guess. Coins dated 1915 and later are restrikes.

Do you own them or would you own them? Rather have something else (if so, what)?

imageimage

Check out the rare 1908 "lady in the clouds" version:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never liked how thin the planchets were. Never was a fan of the large diameter either.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are neat, I like the reverse design. I'd own one if I was doing a darkside gold set but I'm not. For bullion I'd likely not have one. I like my bullion to have the metal type and fineness stamped on it. My gold bullion is in the form of these 90% gold 1975 Bermuda $100 coins.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I never liked how thin the planchets were. Never was a fan of the large diameter either. >>

You may be thinking of the 4 Ducat coin with the large diameter but very thin planchet.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I have the smaller version for my "Darkside Yummy Gold" collection. Absolutely love the reverse.image Considering the fact that they are always around spot makes me like them even more.image

Becky
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those and the 100 Korona from Hungary represent one of the best values for purchasing large sized gold coins recently, the margins on them are low, but so is the demand. Back in the times they were struck, 1960's and 1970's they only had the krugerrand to compete with, later on they were eclipsed by the myriad of 1 oz coins including the AGE etc.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803

<< <i>Check out the rare 1908 "lady in the clouds" version:

image >>

That's Beautiful !

At one time I was attempting to put together a World Gold 1oz collection & owned a Corona.
  • Options

<< <i>One of Apmex's specials currently. I've always thought it was a beautiful coin. Big, hefty, 33.8753 grams (.9803 troy ounces Au).

They're low premium, but they're not especially popular since the rush of modern bullion coins. Kind of a precursor to the philharmonics, I guess. Coins dated 1915 and later are restrikes.

Do you own them or would you own them? Rather have something else (if so, what)?

imageimage

Check out the rare 1908 "lady in the clouds" version:

image >>

Is that Marilyn Monroe on top of the cloud???image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I never liked how thin the planchets were. Never was a fan of the large diameter either. >>

You are thinking of the 4 Ducats, which is very thin. The 100 Corona is built like a Morgan dollar.

We have sold thouands of them over the years. They are not as popular as the one ounce pieces because people can no longer do math, but they often present the lowest spread between the buys and the sells.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Those and the 100 Korona from Hungary represent one of the best values for purchasing large sized gold coins recently, the margins on them are low, but so is the demand. Back in the times they were struck, 1960's and 1970's they only had the krugerrand to compete with, later on they were eclipsed by the myriad of 1 oz coins including the AGE etc. >>

These were the big boys in the bullion trade long before the Krugerrand, and their only competition was the Mexican 50 Pesos.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You are thinking of the 4 Ducats, which is very thin. The 100 Corona is built like a Morgan dollar.

We have sold thouands of them over the years. They are not as popular as the one ounce pieces because people can no longer do math, but they often present the lowest spread between the buys and the sells.

TD >>

I understand the 4 ducats were popular for jewelry use because they were large but didn't have much gold making them reasonably affordable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never owned one of these, but I wouldn't be opposed to owning one, or more!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Those and the 100 Korona from Hungary represent one of the best values for purchasing large sized gold coins recently, the margins on them are low, but so is the demand. Back in the times they were struck, 1960's and 1970's they only had the krugerrand to compete with, later on they were eclipsed by the myriad of 1 oz coins including the AGE etc. >>

These were the big boys in the bullion trade long before the Krugerrand, and their only competition was the Mexican 50 Pesos.
    TD >>

Does that mean there is a healthy number of fakes out there?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

Does that mean there is a healthy number of fakes out there? >>

Very few, but some.
    TD
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You may be thinking of the 4 Ducat coin with the large diameter but very thin planchet. >>

Yes, that is the coin I thought was the 100 Corona....my mistake.image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When demand is heavy on stuff like $20's even K-rands etc, there are some coins that perpetually fall through the cracks as far as price goes and give a lot of bang for the bullion buying buck, the 100 Corona/Korona are two of them, the other is the 1967 Canadian Centennial $20 with a bit over half an oz of gold. The others are the $5 and $10 Olympic commemoratives from the US mint.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21