Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The 1972 O-PEE-CHEE baseball set has been weighted.

I sent in some weights for a set that I am working on and BJ said she would talk to Joe and then post the weights.

Did someone send in the 1972 O-PEE-CHEE baseball set weights or did BJ & Joe weight that one themselves?

Has anyone else send in suggested weights for a set that they are working on?

Carlos

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Sad to say Carlos...

Yes I did... I told BJ that whatever cards I had should be weighted 10's and whichever ones I didn't have yet didn't need to be 10's yet - I'd let her know when!

But seriously... I posted this set on the request list about 2 months ago. I figured that as long as I didn't ask anyone else to put a request in, it would stay near the bottom of the list but would go up eventually - with or without weighting - didn't matter to me.

But, BJ emailed and mentioned that it was up and I figured "how hard could it be to weight?" I think I changed the weights of about 8 cards versus the 72 set. Since there is no Ryan and Rose, I moved the Aaron and Clemente up from 9 to 10. I think I bumped the Aaron IA up 2 spots because of how difficult the centering is as well as the Mays IA. The Killebrew and Killebrew IA moved up one because of centering difficulties also. I emailed the proposed weights about 2 days after the set was posted.

My apologies to all of the folks who've pushed hard to get their sets up on the registry and weighted. My guess is they figured that this set was sort of a slam dunk because its virtually the same as the 72 Topps set series 1 - 5.

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Frank or any other willing and able person,

Do you want to work on weights for the 1970 Topps Baseball set? I can lend a hand but my primitive computer does not have MS Excel only MS word & work's. Or shall we just wait the 6 weeks for PSA to do it? LMK.

Carlos

• Options
    I would be willing to help weight the 1970 baseball set. Please let me know how I can help.

Robert
    rbeaton@islinc.com
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    Carlos,

If you and Robert wanna take a crack at 1970 Topps - I would say go for it. I was hoping to help out about a month ago but got caught on a high-profile project thats eaten up a bunch of my time. Between that coupled with sheetrocking my basement, I'm lucky if I can check my email from time to time.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631
    I was bored this morning, so I went ahead and gave the weights a first shot. They can be found at:

My suggested weights for the 1970 Topps Baseball set

Please let me know your thoughts...

Robert
    rbeaton@islinc.com
    Looking for:
  • Options
    I thought about weighting #102 Joe Rudi a 10 and the Ryan at 9 based on the recent Ebay
    sale
    but gave it the weight it deserved (a 1.0). image

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    Robert,

That looks good to me, except all the SMR cards are not weighted. I will toss you some updates this weekend if you like?

Carlos
  • Options
    I thought I got all the SMR cards. Oh well. Please let me know any comments you have.

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    40 RICH ALLEN 1
    70 A.L. PITCHING LEADERS 1
    72 A.L. STRIKEOUT LDRS 1
    148 EARL WEAVER 1
    181 SPARKY ANDERSON 1
    346 RED SCHOENDIENST 1
    380 TONY PEREZ 1
    425 BOBBY BONDS 1
    440 BILL MAZEROSKI 1
    539 PHILLIES ROOKIES 1
    555 ORLANDO CEPEDA 2
    621 ROOKIE STARS 2

These cards are listed in the SMR and have Commons weights on your list.

Carlos
  • Options
    I used the on-line SMR. I guess it's different than the printed copy?? I don't get the printed one anymore. I'll make some adjustments to the weights of those cards.

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    Robert, after those adjustment I think it will be just right to send to BJ. You can tell her that I agreed with the suggestions or I'll copy your list and submit it as well. LMK

Carlos
  • Options
    Sent the weights to BJ and she said that she will get them approved and up.

Robert
    Looking for:
  • Options
    Robert & Carlos

Great job on the 1970 weights. i was wondering how the weights were done. Can the weights change as time passes or are they pretty much solid after they are posted?

Chris
  • Options
    Chris,

The weights are going to be relatively static going forward. Its possible that people can make recommendations if they feel that the weights are out of whack for a card or group of cards - but I haven't seen much change to date.

With the 72 set, a number of us that have been working on it dilligently are finding that certain cards are just so tough to find centered that their weighting doesn't do them justice. But, to this point, no one has gone back to the set registry folks and asked them to change.

And Carlos and Robert - nice job on the weights.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Robert should get all the credit for the 70 weights. I just added my two cents worth.

Great Job Robert!!!image

Carlos
  • Options
    Thinking about climbing aboard the O-pee-chee Express. I have a real interest in the 69' issue to compliment my 69' Topps set but also thought I might join you guys on this 72' adventure. I like the fact that the O set is smaller than that Topps monstrosity. Also scarce availability will keep my outlay to a minimum.
    If I pop up on the registry with a card or two you will know what I have decided.
    Stay Tuned!
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!