Home Stamps Forum

Who is good with old stamps

Dad found a group of books that my uncle left me when i was younger. I know less than nothing about stamps or if they are trash or what. Is there a good guy on here would be willing to help me ? PM if you can help

thanks
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• There are definitely people on this board that can help you but one thing would definitely help and that is to find out what you mean by old. 1800s, early 1900s, mid 1900s? Scans would be nice and if not, a better description from the pages they are on. Is it just one of each stamp or are there bunches that look alike?
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    Well I know they run from 1960 and earlier. I have to get a book to know how old they are, I know there are sheets of 4 stamps 2x2 there are some stamps on envelopes canceled 1st day of issue or something. Some are singles in the books. There are some US and some foreign. Is there any site i can look at ? I could scan all night and hardly make a dent.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • To help identify some of the stamps you can go to: 1847usa.com. To find the values you have several options; go to your library and check out the Scott's Catalogue, find a stamp dealer in your area and see if he is interested in the collection, or find a stamp club in your area and the members of the club should be glad to offer assistance. To find a stamp club you can go to: www.stamps.org and on the left sidebar there is a link to find a club in your area.

It sounds like you may have a bunch of common stamps but there might be better items in the early issues.

Do you plan on collecting or selling?
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    ill probably hold on to them cause theyve been in the family for 50 yrs but i dont think ill be activly collecting. I know there are some international stamps too . . ill start with the libary and then the stamp site and take it from there

thanks again for the help.
  • Hey some of those old stamps are as beautiful an interesting as the old currency (and printed by the same government entity) You should check out stamp collecting as a side interest.