Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Scott Rolen Graded RC Tops $1K!

Scott Rolen 1995 Bowman's Best RC Refractor PSA 10, Population 2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230358361727

Hey guys, wanted to share my latest purchase with you. I'm sure some of you think I'm crazy but it's a very tough card and I'm happy to have it at that price.

Not everyday you see a modern non-auto non-gameused card sell for over a grand, or any mid 90's card for that matter. Comments welcomed!

Also, looking to buy if anyone has any graded cards from this set!

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    My comment is... WOW!!
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    If you are happy, then it is fine. I would not give $5.00 for it for my personal collection. OTOH, I suspect I have made many purchases that you would think were silly.

BTW, was this an auction or a BIN? I could not find the bidding history. Are there other commons that sell for that much?
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Hey, it's people like you that people like me seek to find every time I list something. image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you are happy, then it is fine. I would not give $5.00 for it for my personal collection. OTOH, I suspect I have made many purchases that you would think were silly.

BTW, was this an auction or a BIN? I could not find the bidding history. Are there other commons that sell for that much? >>

It's not exactly a common, it's his RC Refractor (this set is VERY condition sensitive) and a 9 books for $250.00. A BGS 9.5 sold for $2K two years ago, Vlad PSA 10's have sold for $10K and BGS 9.5 $13K (8 years ago for those though). I pay big bucks for 10's if you ever find any.... again they are tough. With only two copies for me it's the kind of card that when it comes up you have to go after it, I keep my collection pretty tight so when they do I make sure I get them.... Text
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Obviously this market is one I know nothing about. I will keep my ignorance to myself. As I said before, if you are happy with it the opinions of others are worth squadoosh.
  • Options
    He's having a great year up here in Toronto.
    He's like a Hoover at third.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Well considering some of the 1993 Finest REF commons like Key, Borders, Hershiser, etc. have sold in the past 2 years for 1000+ in 10, I think that there is some precedent for paying this much for the card. The value would seem to be driven by interest in the Set Registry if they are anything like the 1993 Finest. I think that the value would drop considerably if and when the pop report gets to 4 or 5 in ten.

Glad to see some interest in 90's refractors.

Any estimate on number of examples per REF in the 95 Bowman's Best?
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd rather have a Ted Williams rookie card at that price, but if that's what makes you happy, then that's what the hobby's all aboutimage

Steve
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well considering some of the 1993 Finest REF commons like Key, Borders, Hershiser, etc. have sold in the past 2 years for 1000+ in 10, I think that there is some precedent for paying this much for the card. The value would seem to be driven by interest in the Set Registry if they are anything like the 1993 Finest. I think that the value would drop considerably if and when the pop report gets to 4 or 5 in ten.

Glad to see some interest in 90's refractors.

Any estimate on number of examples per REF in the 95 Bowman's Best? >>

Yeah, the Pop has been at 2 for over a decade, and realistically interest in Rolen has come down since then so I'm hoping nothing else pops up.

1995 Bowman's Best was fairly limited as Topps wasn't sure about a high end RC driven (over half the set are RC's/minor league stars/ propects ...which later became a model of success in their other lines) after the baseball strike. Refractors are 3 per box (retail) 4 per box (hobby). It isn't how difficult they were to pull (although at the time they were highly sought eg. Ben Grieve selling for $250 (for a second year card)? The difficulty with this set is that they are extremely condition sensitive. Refractor lines are the norm (I've had up to 3 on one card!), centering t/b and l/r is terrible (much more difficult than the regular set, which isn't easy itself), and the surface is easily marked/scratched.

With RC's of Guerrero, Abreu, A.Jones, Sexson, Colon, Carpenter, Nomo, Beltran, Rolen, etc... I would say it was an exceptional RC crop for a 195 card set, then you have some great HOF's and All Stars mixed in the veteran part of the set.

And SDSportsFan, you are right it's a lot of money for a registry card but your Ted Williams is my 1995 Bowman's Best Refractor Scott Rolen RC graded Gem 10... I will admit I did have to weigh the thought of two solid signed Pujols RC's for the same price s this but I'm more than happy with my decision!

Thanks for the comments guys.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    People who are unfamiliar with these cards are always surprised by how much key cards from this set can fetch. I sold a BGS 9 Andruw Jones refractor a few years ago for $600, and that price didn't seem out of line at the time.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have a vlad bgs 7, a jones and a rolen graded psa 8s.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Help out an very uninformed person (ME!)

How much does a pack (or box) cost?
    How many cards are in a pack?
    How many cards are in the set?
    What are the chances of getting a refractor in a box?

Good Luck
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    I think you get 4 refractors per hobby box on average. Not sure about the number of packs in a box or cards in a pack.
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    You get 7 cards a pack, 24 packs per box, and boxes of these are going around 200