Home Sports Talk
Options

Baseball 'What If's'

BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
I know everyone has them, but what's you one big 'what if' in MLB? For me, it has to be 'What if Rogers Hornsby had been left handed?' I'm curious to see what else is out there (I'm sure there are some good ones).

Comments

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Great topic. My favorite is, "What if Babe Ruth had started and ended his career as a position player/non-pitcher?"

Here are a couple others ...

1. What if Babe Ruth remained a pitcher for his entire career?
    2. What if Lou Gehrig's career hadn't been cut short by ALS?
    3. What if Ken Griffey Jr., hasn't missed approximately 650 games in his career?
    4. What if Stan Musial played in New York?
    5. What if Ted Williams didn't lose almost five (5) years due to military service?
    6. What if a strike had not ended the 1994 season re would Tony Gwynn had batted .400?
    7. What if Dusty Baker hadn't pulled Russ Ortiz in Game 6 of the 2002 World Series?

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. What if Harry Frazee hadn't sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees? Or, what if Frazee sold Ruth to the White Sox?
  • Options

<< <i>
    5. What if Ted Williams didn't lose almost five (5) years due to military service?
    >>

And, what if Ted Williams played in New York instead of Boston. Fenway park didn't have that bullpen in right field when
    Ted played there. What if Ted had that short porch in New York like Maris and Mantle had ?

I think Ted could have hit 700 home runs if he played in NY and didn't miss those five years.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if Don Denkinger had not blown a call at first base in the 1985 World Series?

Shane

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What if the 09 Mets did not have 10 guys on the DL.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fred Lynn had stayed in Boston
    Carlton Fisk had stayed in Boston
    JR Richard did not have a stroke
    Bo Jackson played a full career
    Tony C had not been HBP
    Wars had not cost some players stats
    The Rudi, Fingers, Bando sale had been allowed to occur
    Reggie Jackson stayed in Baltimore
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    What if Buckner fielded the grounder in the 1986 series?
    What if Arod went to the Red Sox instead of the Yankees?
    What if Ken Griffey had a relatively injury free career?
  • Options
    all great replies but somewhat milktoastish (MAY NOT BE A WORD)image

Let's add a liitle gasoline to the fireimage

WHAT IF CAL RIPKEN DIDN"T have two strike shortened years and his daddy as manager. Would Lou Gehrig still hold the "RECORD"

SKY

PS: Not bashing "JR" the record is HIS with no *'s or ?'s
    The Sky Pilot

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    you coin guys are weird
  • Options

<< <i>What if Arod went to the Red Sox instead of the Yankees? >>

That was mine too
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    What if the Dodgers had gotten the new stadium that they wanted built in Brooklyn? How long would it have taken MLB to expand to CA?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry would have stayed drug free? They would probably both be in the Hall of Fame.

Shane

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What if Buckner fielded the grounder in the 1986 series? >>

As I'm sure everyone knows, the ball Buckner missed was the winning run. The game was already tied because of a Bob Stanley wild pitch. The Mets or the Red Sox could have went on to win it in later innings if Buckner fielded the play cleanly.

All l of the following are possibilities.

The scoreboard at Shea would have read "Congratulations, Boston Red Sox, 1986 World Champions" instead of just flashing it for a few seconds like it did when the Mets were one out away from losing.

Roger Clemens wouldn't have been seen crying in the dugout after game 7.

Calvin Schiraldi wouldn't be a bitter man for being the losing pitcher in game 6 and also game 7(which wouldn't have been played).

Bill Buckner wouldn't be in hiding.

The Mets would suck even more (if that's possible)

A few more New York murders and or beatings would have occured.

I would still have my head under the bed. I actually, truely did have my head under the bed when the Mets were down to their last out. I was a kid at the time. Is that a good enough excuse? image
  • Options
    What if Ken Griffey Jr had stayed in Seattle...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    What is some of the great Negro Leaguers were allowed to play in the Majors sooner?
  • Options
    Could Three finger brown have succeded in the bigs without a mangled hand? What if that never happened? Would we know who he is today?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if players couldnt wear body armor to the plate? I hate that stuff....

I really like some of the above questions, some good food for thought.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    What if:

Tom Watson's approach shot on 18 had stayed on the green (not baseball but certainly a good question)
    Mike Hargrove had not inserted Jose Mesa into Game 7 of the '97 Series
    McGwire, Sosa, Bonds had not been on steroids? What would the single season HR record be?
    Bart Giamatti had not died suddenly?
    The players' union hadn't destroyed baseball?

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    What if Len Bias had lived?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    What if Mark Prior had stayed healthy?
  • Options
    What if Joe Montana would have taken the basketball scholarship to NC State instead of a football scholarship to ND.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if a huge asteroid hadn't struck the earth 65 million years ago, and some intelligent raptor had invented the game of baseball, would the raptor players eat the fans after the game?
  • Options
    What if the NY Mets weren't full of overpaid mercenaries.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    What if the Seattle Mariners picked up Frank Thomas instead of Ken Griffey Jr?

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    What if in 2000 Jason Giambi didn't use Steroids and lost the MVP who would have won?
  • Options
    What if the 94 strike hadn't gone down and Donnie Baseball got himself a ring?image
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    What if the Red Sox had kept Babe Ruth?
    What if Babe Ruth played outfield three days and pitched every fourth day for an entire career?
    What if Mickey Mantle had not messed up his legs early in his career?
    What if Mickey Mantle had been a health enthusiast and had a trainer and didn't drink booze?
    What if Grady Little had pulled Pedro Martinez at the beginning of the bad inning?
    What if Steve Bartman had been in the restroom and not in his seat when the foul ball went out there?
    What if someone had decided to make Dennis Eckersley a closer early in his career?
    What if Kirby Puckett had stayed healthy with good eyesight?
    What if Barry Bonds had stayed clean?
    What if Monte Irvin had been the first African-American player in the majors instead of Jackie Robinson?
    What if Dave Parker had stayed clean from drugs?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>What if a huge asteroid hadn't struck the earth 65 million years ago, and some intelligent raptor had invented the game of baseball, would the raptor players eat the fans after the game? >>

Im pretty sure i hate you, but that was funny as hell.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    What if Ben Grieve didn't win the AL ROY?
  • Options
    What if the Astros pick Derek Jeter in the 1992 draft instead of Phil Nevin? How many titles do the Astros win with Jeter, Biggio and Bagwell?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if Boston had offered Harmon Killebrew more than Washington? How many home runs would he have hit over the monster? 1,000?

Killebrew had been approached first by the Red Sox, when the Senators offered him a contract, he gave Boston the chance to match or beat the offer, as they were the first club interested.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    What if Mariano Rivera was a Brave all those years.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    What if Jose Canseco had normal sized testicles?