Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Karl Goetz medal -- 128 bids!

kienast 632

I don't think I've ever seen that many bids on a single numismatic item on ebay.

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True, but it looks like there were only three or four serious bidders.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    ...and boy, were they serious...this medal is only worth $400-500 and I'd gladly sell mine to the losing top bidder. Looks like wacko German bidders...image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several someones with more desire than good sense, and a very happy seller no doubt.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprise the auction didn't get pulled because of:

PAYMENT:
    Paypal, checks negotiable on a US bank without fee

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I dunno about this. Check out the bidding details. The second leading underbidder was steadily bringing up the price, then placed a large bid ($4,300) and two minutes later retracted it. Just a few minutes after that retraction, a second underbidder steps in and piles up some more. Both of the leading underbidders have low feedback scores. The winning bidder certainly wanted the piece - s/he placed two even higher insurance bids 8 seconds before closing. There is at least circumstantial evidence of shilling and the winner may have grounds to lodge a complaint should s/he feel so inclined.

Even if shilling was not happening, this is a lesson in the benefits of sniping.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought cacheman was the seller. Afterall, he did mention his site in the description. Good job in uncovering the frauds wybrit. Unfortunately, the new system makes it oh so difficult to find out when shill bidding takes place and when not. Even if the winning bidder decides to take action, you don't really expect ebay to do something, do you?

I wish that the winner reads this and decides not to go through with the transaction. Sniping is the only way to go.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    It wasn't my auction but I have bought from this seller before and he seems straight as an arrow when it comes to his Ebay and business sensibilities. If the transaction actually goes through then he should be a happy camper.

Lots of auctions and websites refer to my web gallery and, unfortunately, some use my images straight from the gallery for their auctions and web sales.

Again, I'd glady sell my copy for that price.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think this was a case of crazy bidders. That seller has done fine by me in the past, and I have watched more than a few of his auctions. This is not typical. I once even saw an auction of Paul Bosco reference this guy in a positive way in one of his own descriptions. I don't recall the details, but it was funny.

Crazy bidders I say, crazy bidders!

Cathy

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It wasn't my auction but I have bought from this seller before and he seems straight as an arrow when it comes to his Ebay and business sensibilities. If the transaction actually goes through then he should be a happy camper.

Lots of auctions and websites refer to my web gallery and, unfortunately, some use my images straight from the gallery for their auctions and web sales.

Again, I'd glady sell my copy for that price. >>

In that case I retract my comments on possible fraud. The reason I thought that Scott was the seller, other than his reference to the www.karlgoetz.com site, was his serious tone and nice presentation. An expensive lesson for the winner, let's just hope he didn't buy it for resale.image

Crazy bidders I say, crazy bidders!

Where are they when we sell, where are they? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I'd sure like to know where those bidders are as well.

Cacheman's statements are good enough for me to place the seller above suspicion, but the bidder who retracted should be NARU'ed IMO.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.