Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Why dosen't PSA do a full list player collection?

What I mean is, why does PSA only list cards from a players' playing years?

I really don't get the whole "Master Set" and "Basic Set". Why don't they have only one set with every card of that player? I remember a long time back when BGS registry was still working fine, but not these days, the registry just went poof, but thats another story. Anyway, BGS had a player registry where you can add any card made of that player, not just playing years. It inlcuded everything, from rookies to autos to game used, everything! Why dosen't PSA do this? Or do they?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    EB22,

I can think of a few reasons why they do not list cards outside of a player's playing years. 1. Cards produced after a player retires do not reflect the actual fixed number of cards, which constitutes a basic or master set, produced during those active years. 2. And the cards produced during the person's career are "real time' and not "tribute" cards that companies churn out in indiscriminate numbers year after year with varying degrees of rarity. 3. The cost factor to keep up with all the post-retirment issues for a player collector would be phenomenal and unachievable for all but a few. Think of some of the master player sets that already exist like Brett Favre and Emmitt Smith. Those master sets already run into the thousands. 4. Theoretically, you could never complete a set that has no boundaries. You would die and companies would still be producing tribute cards of that player. There would be no real sense of accomplishment.

I look at all the tribute cards produced of Lawrence Taylor and am content to just collect his playing years. I really could not afford to keep up with all those issues. Many are 1/100, 1/75, 1/50, etc.

I guess PSA could start Player Tribute sets for those who want to collect post retirement cards. But I am content collecting every card from his playing years.

John
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Options
    John,

Those are very good points and very very true! No more is needed to be said, haha. I don't want to die and still have not completed a set image Lets just keep it the way it is, we can always use the "Showcase" feature they have.

Thank you!