Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Memory Lane Auction

Does anyone have any thoughts of the current Memory Lane auction? I have never submitted cards to auctions before, but I have items in the current one. While I have never won any cards from M.L, due to everything always going extremely high, knowing my luck, this time things will go dirt cheap......

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

I have bought from them. No problems.

If I was selling anything valued at less than a fortune,
    I would use EBAY rather than an auction house.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Bobby,

After reading the comments from this recent thread concerning Auction Houses, I doubt if anything will be "dirt cheap".... I'm just sayin' image

I think we have the same kind of luck when it comes to auction house bids!

PoppaJ
  • Options
    I have bought items in the last 5 of their auctions. I have had no problems whatsoever but the prices have never been cheap.
    "If someone tells you that money is the root of all evil. They don't have any"
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I've bought and consigned with them...you have nothing to wory about
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have any thoughts of the current Memory Lane auction? I have never submitted cards to auctions before, but I have items in the current one. While I have never won any cards from M.L, due to everything always going extremely high, knowing my luck, this time things will go dirt cheap...... >>

I wonder why everything always goes extremely high? Do people just love bidding on their auctions or could there be something else going on? By the way, whatever happened with that Mastro investigation, and what were they investigating?? some old pitcher that used to play for Boston, Curt "whats his last name"
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I don't know, but I will let everone know after August 8th what the outcome is.....I have a funny feeling I am gonna wish that I had waited for Robert Edwards auction.....
  • Options
    I have bought with them before and had fairly good luck. I have 2 items in their auction this go round and am very hopeful that their trend of high prices will continue with my items. When buying I have found their ungraded items and complete sets to be the best value.
  • Options
    Are you happy with your items prices yet Cardman? I'm sure not!! I have a VCP average $2,500 card currently selling for $550.....
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

<< <i>Are you happy with your items prices yet Cardman? I'm sure not!! I have a VCP average $2,500 card currently selling for $550..... >>

over a week before the auction ends - way too early to even think of worrying. normally people put their place bids in so they can bid in extended bidding. I have the catalogue but haven't even looked at it yet.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I won't buy or consign with them due to the history of their owner (J.P. Cohen).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>I won't buy or consign with them due to the history of their owner (J.P. Cohen). >>

What did J.P. Cohen do?
  • Options
    "What did J.P. Cohen do?"

//////////////////////

Years ago, he had some problems in an unrelated biznez.

He paid his debt and appears to have fully rehabilitated
    himself.

I have no reservations about his personal reliability.

I simply don't understand why folks consign anything cheap - less
    than $5K+ - to ANY auction house. EBAY is so much faster/easier.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Purchased a few things from their previous auction.

No problems and good communication.

A+
  • Options
    I didn't know that about Cohen.....I consigned to them because I saw they had gotten high prices for stuff thru their auctions. Little did I know, they recycle the same cards over and over.....
  • Options
    "...Little did I know, they recycle the same cards over and over..... "

//////////////////////

There are legitimate reasons that the same cards might be in back-to-back auctions.

just saying.....

• Options
    Well...this is my first time consigning to them, and let's just say, it is nothing like what I expected. I have never won anything from them because everything went sky high. Lo and behold, I finally take the plunge and consign some cards, and I am NOT happy with the auction prices. I have a VCP average $2,500 card currently at $500...I have a $1,250 VCP average card currently at $200....and I have noticed that almost all the cards in the memory lane auction are cards that they have auctioned themselves less than a year ago....who are the bidders?!?! Does nothing wind up in private collections anymore?
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market is real bad right now across the board. Usually the summer months are slower, but this time seems especially slow.

I heard Microsoft may bring back the higher cashback offers in August, maybe that will help.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Well...this is my first time consigning to them, and let's just say, it is nothing like what I expected. I have never won anything from them because everything went sky high. Lo and behold, I finally take the plunge and consign some cards, and I am NOT happy with the auction prices. I have a VCP average $2,500 card currently at $500...I have a $1,250 VCP average card currently at $200....and I have noticed that almost all the cards in the memory lane auction are cards that they have auctioned themselves less than a year ago....who are the bidders?!?! Does nothing wind up in private collections anymore? >>

I'd be interested in buying some Curt SHILLing cards from the Memory Lane auction
  • Options
    I guess I can't whine too much......if I lose my shirt on my consignments, I have some bids on cards that are WAYYYYYYY under VCP (my cards aren't the only ones getting hosed)....and Robert Edwards is right around the corner!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    REA is next April or May. Far from right around the corner.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    True...but they try to wind down their consignments around Dec (at least that's what they told me over the phone).......I used to think both Memory Lane and REA got high prices....if ML lets me down, then I shall try REA......
  • Options
    Is anyone bidding in the Memory Lane auction ending today??
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is anyone bidding in the Memory Lane auction ending today?? >>

Which item is yours?
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    I hope your not selling that ugly 1955 topps keegan psa 8 I have no idea how PSA slabbed that card an 8
  • Options
    It don't matter...I have 3 items in there, and NONE are close to VCP average....the worst being a $2,500 VCP average card that is currently at $800......hopefully I can write it off on my taxes as a depreciation of value......I am bidding on stuff as well, and the stuff I am bidding on is closer to VCP than my own items (go freaking figure!).....
    No...the Keegan isn't mine (edited to answer previous post)...
  • Options

<< <i>Is anyone bidding in the Memory Lane auction ending today?? >>

Are you getting nervous? Just call them and ask them to shill it for you
  • Options
    Nah...losing money isn't new to me!! I play the lottery! image
  • Options
    Well...that was real fun.....don't have to play the lottery anytime soon!
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I don't care much for Memory Lane auctions, and even less for the spams.

First and last bid for me, even though I was the winner. I'll just stick with rotton ol ebay.

At least they don't make me feel nearly as retarded as Memory Lane does???
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    nevermind seems I got 2 threads confused.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    congrats on winning....I didnt win anything I bid on, and the cards I consigned went so cheaply, I wish now I had kept them.....my first taste of auction consignments has been not so sweet!
  • Options
    Well, I got taken for a bath on the major item I had consigned with them. I guess it goes to show that past auction results guarantee nothing !!
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I got outbid on my two items of interest sometime after 2am EST. Living on the east coast, this is typically what happens to me in these auctions - because I refuse to stay up all night watching.
    Capecards
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Give us some details on the cards and the selling prices.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    My fiasco was a 1955 Red Man Willie Mays PSA 8.5 ....When I first got into the hobby, I was SOOOOOOO impressed with the prices Mastro & Memory Lane got for their cards......5 years later, I actually had cards that I considered nice enough to actually be in one of those auctions, so I sent my most expensive card in my ragamuffin collection to Memory Lane. I checked VCP average and saw that Mile High card sold the EXACT SAME CARD for over $2,500 last Oct. Surely Memory Lane would command a higher price than that I thought! Well...my card didn't sell ANYWHERE NEAR the Mile High one. Well, did it at least sell for SMR you ask? SMR on just an 8 is $1,250. Mine was a half point higher. I didn't even reach that. My pride and joy sold for the grand total of $800. Now I feel as though I am a fool for placing ML on that high pedestal all those years. Shoot, they had an 8 in their last auction that sold for more than my 8.5 did this time. I will really feel like a fool when I see the same card show up in ML or REA for their next auction, and it sells for over $2,000.....
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

with the various federal investigations looking at auction houses I'd bet we see lower prices than in the past.
  • Options
    1. did you attempt to sell it here, or across the street? quality vintage brings strong money

2. did you at least try it on ebay, BUY IT now with best offer?
  • Options
    Yes....I didnt try to sell it here. I tried Ebay BIN OBO......not even a nibble....I just thought maybe the card was too high end for Ebay and noone had the kind of coin for it. Even though I am not a newbie, I guess I learn new stuff everyday.....
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Well now you learned that no 2 items ever sell for the same amount.

And when you consign an item and it doesn't end anywhere you want it to, you can blame yourself for consigning it.

I took a huge hit when I consigned some items, but I went into knowing what the fees would be, the commission etc, and the possibility of it not ending where I wanted it.

And the latter happened
  • Options
    True, but I honestly expected it to be at least close to the other one...worse case scenario close to SMR........I do understand what you are saying though, and I learned an expensive and valuable lesson. These are PIECES OF CARDBOARD! Even the Honus Wagner T206 card could come crashing back to earth if noone wanted it....
  • Options
    I had a 1957 Set with Memory Lane. The SMR on the graded cards was around 18K. The set sold for around 14K. I expected a couple thousand more but considering the economy and how it has changed my buying habits I can't be too upset. Its always a gamble and you never know. I have done well with buying raw and grading via the auctions. I have found they will usually undergrade the more vintage cards. I have done especially well with Goudeys and T-206's. Anyway its a lesson learned.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    There are alot more reasons other than shilling these auctions can go so high. Did you look and see if the the best Mays or Redman registries already had the card in similar grade? Maybe one of these high auctions was due to 2 bidders needing it for a registry. Once it sold the other guy found another and so the feeding frenzy was over.

Most registries only have a couple of deep pockets, the rest of the guys look at VCP and have patience and don't need to complete the set in 2 weeks.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Indeed, and of course they'll just blame the economy.

<< <i>with the various federal investigations looking at auction houses I'd bet we see lower prices than in the past. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Often, two bidders who want the same card more than everyone else will bid it up to and above the realistic selling price. When one wins, the other has no real competition the next time the same card comes up for bid. Tack on the economic downturn and the fact that the National took some money out of pockets of big time collectors and it's not surprising.
  • Options
    I don't really fault Memory Lane either...the only thing they could have done different was maybe have a higher starting bid.....it is my own fault for putting them on a high pedestal. I am so used to seeing them set VCP record HIGHS.....not VCP record LOWS.......
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, sorry things didnt turn out good for you. I was outbid on the only lot I was interested in and its price was very strong. There was another lot that didnt sell that i used to own, I sold it two years ago on ebay as a BIN and if failed to get the min which was 1/3 of my orginal sales price. So lucky me for selling 2 years ago but I think a lot of this is luck, the market is down for a lot of cards, I sold at the high. I think the flippers are really out of the market at the moment, it just seems like most lots/sets are selling really low lately same with a lot of registry cards like your mays.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the shared knowledge.

It will be interesting to see how auction house sales go this Fall/Winter and going into 2010. Great comment about
    pieces of cardboard.

Perhaps this is the time for me to buy a low grade Mantle for the sheer enjoyment of it.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I think the flippers have maybe moved on to gold image.

Prices are strong on certain issues but rarity coupled with popularity are the key IMO. The Red Man sets are great but have never been overly popular.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set