Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any skepticism regarding this 52 Mantle auction?

Just wondering if any one else is skeptical regarding this '52 Topps Mantle auction?

- Opening bid 99 cents ... no reserve?

- Shill bidder w/5 FBs ... other items bid on are all coins?

- Seller's previous unsold items include a '52 Topps Mantle PSA 7 plus 2 1/1s of celebrities that have recently passed away?

- Pass sales predominantly Get-Rich-Quick items?

- 100% Feedback Rating ... Cough, Cough!

Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid .... yeah, that's it!

How about the username? .... swing_for_the_fences? Can't argue with the appropriateness of it!

Tell me I'm delusional (in a nice way, please!) so I can bid on this chance-of-a-lifetime item!

PoppaJ

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a total scumbag.

And, one of the reasons HONEST sellers are no longer
    allowed to leave FB for the SCUMMY buyers that have
    taken over EBAY.

I would advise ALL sellers to put the SCUM on the BBL.
    He likes to NEG sellers.

fb rcd

fb left by

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Please check out my other auctions which includes a sure fire way to increase your income.

Chapter 5: Sell Bogus Mickey Mantle Rookies on Ebay
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Looks like I found the Original!

imageimage

Anybody else agree before I report it?

PoppaJ
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    That's it - highly unlikely he's the owner
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the white dot on left hand side and top left corner assure a high probability of it being the same card. Good work Pappa
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it to me. Let's go ahead and get this guy's auction to end.
  • Options
    The "original" has been used in numerous other "problem" listings.

One or more of those listings have been the subject of threads here.
  • Options
    I reported the auction and also contacted the seller, via one of my buyer accounts, asking him to send me a photo of him holding the card.

I also asked him to post my question and his answer to the auction so others could read it. (I seriously doubt if he's going to do that!!)

Should he answer, I'll be sure to post it here.

PoppaJ

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Poppa,

Just sent him an email stating that I was very interested in the card. Asked him what he wanted for the card to end the auction now and if we agree upon the price I will pick up the card in person. I will let you know if I get a response.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Hi Doug,

Should be very interesting to hear what kind of excuse he's going to give you image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    GO FOR THE THROAT!!!!!Then break his legs.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Doug should be very interesting to hear what kind of excuse he's going to give you image PoppaJ >>

Here is the response: Thanks for your interest. I think I'm going to let this auction ride out.

I just asked him if I could pick it up and pay in person. Let's see what he says.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Seller ended auction early ..... what a surprise! image
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I think nowadays I would be hard pressed to buy a 52 Mantle from just about anyone out there. It seems there are more scams than anything else.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think somehow these scammers likely find out about a thread such as this, and it scares the chit out of 'em, and that's a good thing.

BTW, phenomenal job finding the auction of the "real" card - outstanding detective work! image
  • Options

<< <i>Seller ended auction early ..... what a surprise! image >>

HAHAHA YEAH That happened soon after I asked him if I could pay in person if I won! WHAT A TOOL!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    So what actually happens if this auction went through and a legitimate buyer pays via paypal....
    They have instituted a mandatory hold of funds until feedback or delivery confirmation has been processed, is the buyer truly protected?

Or are there loopholes where the seller will win out?

Ebay and Paypal should not be so loosely managed this day in age where we have all the technology in place to assure legitimacy.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So what actually happens if this auction went through and a legitimate buyer pays via paypal....
    They have instituted a mandatory hold of funds until feedback or delivery confirmation has been processed, is the buyer truly protected?

Or are there loopholes where the seller will win out?

Ebay and Paypal should not be so loosely managed this day in age where we have all the technology in place to assure legitimacy. >>

The seller sends a box with something other than a 52T mantle, with signature confirmation.

I wouldn't buy something like that without using a credit card that will back me up in a dispute. Discover card is very good at taking the customer's side in disputes.
  • Options
    "So what actually happens if this auction went through and a legitimate buyer pays via paypal....
    They have instituted a mandatory hold of funds until feedback or delivery confirmation has been processed, is the buyer truly protected?..."

///////////////////////////

The "hold of funds" is not universally applied.

A professionally planned and executed scam has a pretty high
    likelihood of success.

Buyers who rely on PayPal to "protect" them in all circumstances
    are playing with fire.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Here's another likely scam 52 Mantle Auction, this one for a PSA 8

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yep.

Even if it is not a scam, is this the type of person you would be willing to give 55 k to?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    With all the Mantle scams out there it is a safe rule of thumb to avoid all Mantle Rookies on eBay. Plus for a big purchase like that, I would love to have the card in my hands before dropping big bucks.
  • Options
    Not a '52 Mantle, but just for laughs, check this one out .... Mickey Mantle Home Run image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    nice card in good condetion!!

lol
    Good for you.