Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1954 S Jefferson S/D...........Grades are in !

I have (9) of these that I found in an OBW roll a couple of months ago, they looked so bad because of the worn dies that I just put them into flips and forgot about them...until today when I saw this ended auction on ebay......LINK

So I'm thinking I should send some in....here are (2) that I would appreciate grade opinions on.....thank you.

imageimage
imageimage

Update 10/19/09
I sent (8) of these ATS........I got (3) 65's and (5) 64's...........image

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    awful mushy with eroded dies

which is par for the course for this overdate

I would say 63/64
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I was gonna offer up an MS63.

Oh I forgot to mention that 9 in a roll is pretty awesome. I bought a roll of these once and got Na-Da! I had to buy the danged thing after the fact!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    SUMORADA,
    Let's break it down this way. We know they are not MS65s, like the one that you show sold for $350, so take that grade off the plate. This late die state for a coin that does come nicer, they probably wouldn't make MS64 either. Not worth sending in for grading if they come back MS63s. Even if you got an MS64 grade out of one, the value of the late die state coin would be pretty low. Best bet, put them on ebay just like you did here and take what you can for them.
    Just my opinion.
    Dowgie
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    This one of those times where you scratch your head and go hmmmmm…

They are “struck as-is” and should not loose points because the mint used the dies until the design elements began to weaken, but they also loose their eye appeal as a result, so you’d have to think that is going to affect the grade.

They have very few nicks or hits and have lots of luster for a Jefferson nickel of this date range. This is going to be one of those crap shoots at best, getting them graded does define the over mint mark, so that’s a plus in your favor.

“S” minted Jefferson’s are always tough to find with all the high points intact…what ever you decide, good luck and nice find out of roll!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    I would send the best cpl. or three. You might be surprised at the grades you get. The coin pictured looks 64 easy to me.

I once had a roll with 7 S/D's. 9 is amazing.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like one. WOW 9 that is Cool, This is one that I have. Yours looks like one nice.
    I would send all of them in and sell the ones you dont want and keep the top pop's.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

btt...grades are in first post.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's break it down this way. We know they are not MS65s, like the one that you show sold for $350, so take that grade off the plate. >>

Whoops....

Nice job Sumorada!
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Show us the MS65's.... please. And congrats on the grades.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Show us the MS65's.... please. And congrats on the grades.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    Very strong score.

Greg, I'm sending yours back for a 66 upgrade. image
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mushy 65's but congratulations!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    Why was the link for ebay taken down. What was the problem with the coin?

Nevermind I see that was an old post. (Oops)
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why was the link for ebay taken down. What was the problem with the coin?

Nevermind I see that was an old post. (Oops) >>

Over 90 days?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    SUMORADA - Nice grades and ditto the congrats!

This is a great case study for an area of grading that doesn't get much written attention, and that would be "strike quality". Well, except for Leon! ;-) But this is a great example of grading coins with obvious die deterioration. I have to take the position that a coin should be graded based on the lack of mint handling ticks and scuffs. These coins are very clean in this regard and possess (as best I can tell from the pictures) original mint luster. So why not MS65's?

The rubber hits the road when you try to sell them. What will a buyer/collector pay for one of these? 1954-S/D's are nice typically well struck, but there are numerous MS65's and MS64's out there that have better strike quality, so expect less money for them.

For those that think points should be deducted for strike quality, how would you grade these?

Dowgie
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job on a highly sought varietyimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

......image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Eric, but I cannot believe that those got 65's since non of them have an above average strike.

I would expect just a bit more hair detail for a 65.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Here is my 1954 S/D graded MS65 for comparison:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file