Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unique 1870-S Half Dime Sold by Legend Numismatics

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the old days, I would read about it here first.

Today, I read about it first on Twitter. image

Link

Comments

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where have you been RYK? I thought you left us for good.

Glad to see your posts again.
    Welcome back.
  • Options

<< <i>Where have you been RYK? I thought you left us for good.

Glad to see your posts again.
    Welcome back. >>

That was my first thought too.

merse

• Options
    Great coin, collection, and read.

One question though, why have this coin included in the registry with only one known? That doesnt seem fair.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Was this coin displayed at Coinfest?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should see how good this coin looks in my dansco album!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back!!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Good to see you, RYK. It's not everyday a unique coin changes hands. Surprising that a collection like that would trade intact. I would think most people interested in a collection of that caliber would enjoy putting it together vs. buying it with a single check.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Law collection of capped bust half dimes (basic set, circulation strikes) held all top pops. Wonder who the new owner is?
  • Options
    Your that Steelers fan thats been missing. Right?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be still be the old days for some of us; Not a tweeter yet, so read about it here first.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    No one is happier that RYK is back than Longacre, but is anyone else disturbed that our favorite interventional radiologist tweets?

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    <<is anyone else disturbed that our favorite interventional radiologist tweets>>

Im not partial either way as to his tweeting, just as long he doesnt ask me to twit his tweeter... image Im not down.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Interesting set of coins. Nothing I can relate to, though.

I also have a problem relating to Twitter and i'm "in that industry" so to speak. I'm getting old.

My spouse gold coin came today. It was still in it's capsule. A minor miracle.

I'm glad it is friday.

It's hot.

Where is my beer?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It must be still be the old days for some of us; Not a tweeter yet, so read about it here first. >>

OMG, a Baley post! Now that's worth tweeting about. image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the old days, I would read about it here first.

Link >>

Ah, yes.......I remember this coin well. We graded this piece at ANACS as an AU-55 because I think that I had not yet invented the grade of AU-58. Bowers later catalogued it for auction as an AU-55.

Question: Is it receiving six rarity points, or nine?

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Oh, and good to see you back!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the Law collection of capped bust half dimes (basic set, circulation strikes) held all top pops. Wonder who the new owner is? >>

I just wonder BD? image
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Link >>

Ah, yes.......I remember this coin well. We graded this piece at ANACS as an AU-55 because I think that I had not yet invented the grade of AU-58. Bowers later catalogued it for auction as an AU-55.

TD >>

Well, if you called it a 55 because there was no 58 to call it, could it have only received one rarity point? (55 masked as 58 to 64). I do view, if I were to use numerical grades, that 58 is, with regards to circulation, the grade below 63+.

(Of course, hasn't it also been slabbed as a 63?)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    WEnt into the hands of a Western collector...isn't tradedollarnut out west?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be cool to see the collection raw, loosely piled (not so) high on a table. Then, it would be fun to sort sort them out and put the coins in a single Whitman bookshelf album. Too bad there's no opening for the 70-S.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the old and new owner - it's the stuff of Legend(s). image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it would be cool to see the collection raw, loosely piled (not so) high on a table. Then, it would be fun to sort sort them out and put the coins in a single Whitman bookshelf album. Too bad there's no opening for the 70-S. >>

You must have one of the OLD albums!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Link >>

TD >>

Well, if you called it a 55 because there was no 58 to call it, could it have only received one rarity point? (55 masked as 58 to 64). I do view, if I were to use numerical grades, that 58 is, with regards to circulation, the grade below 63+.

(Of course, hasn't it also been slabbed as a 63?) >>

Possibly. I remember being at an ANA convention when Al Blythe asked me to come over to look at it with him at Jay Perrino's table and laughing at the grade on the holder, but I honestly cannot remember if it was a 3 or 4 at the time.

TD
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1870-S half dime was originally valued the same as an 1804 dollar. In this sale, the coin was valued at $1.4M, while an impaired 1804 dollar just recently sold for $2.3M.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1870-S half dime was originally valued the same as an 1804 dollar. In this sale, the coin was valued at $1.4M, while an impaired 1804 dollar just recently sold for $2.3M. >>

So I guess they use 1804 dollar grading rules, huh?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The 1870-S half dime was originally valued the same as an 1804 dollar. In this sale, the coin was valued at $1.4M, while an impaired 1804 dollar just recently sold for $2.3M. >>

So I guess they use 1804 dollar grading rules, huh? >>

Or Laura drove a really hard bargain. If I owned the coin, $2.3M would have been the starting point for negotiation.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK....who is he again?
  • Options

<< <i>RYK....who is he again? >>

Longacre's imaginary boyfriend
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's just wrong...

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember now!!!
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Welcome back dude
  • Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    A version of the news release and photo were posted with a link on the PCGS home page on Friday before the information appeared publicly elsewhere.

Click here for news release on PCGS web site announcing sale of 1870-S half dime.

-donn-
    "If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Or Laura drove a really hard bargain. If I owned the coin, $2.3M would have been the starting point for negotiation. >>

I was surprised at "only" $1.4 million. I would assume that any coin that unique would go for a multi-million amount.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Or Laura drove a really hard bargain. If I owned the coin, $2.3M would have been the starting point for negotiation. >>

I was surprised at "only" $1.4 million. I would assume that any coin that unique would go for a multi-million amount. >>

As another comparison point, the Eliasberg 1870-s seated dollar (AU, third finest known) sold for about the same amount ($1.3M) about a year ago! Seems cheap for the 1870-s.

As for the grade debate, does it really matter? It's the finest known, it's the worst known. What does it matter? lol
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the current times, $1.4 MILL seems like plenty of money for a circulated half dime, even if the only one known. It's price has only more recently "flourished" because of the ability to include it into a "complete" registry set. There's really no comparison in overall demand to say an 1804 or 1870-s silver dollar vs. the 1870-s half dime. The 1870-s half dime is needed only for a complete set by the ultimate well-heeled collectors. It doesn't bring the same fame of ownership as owning one of 5-15 specimens of other well known rarities. Even the tiny 1792 half dimes from "Martha Washington" silver have a more compelling story. The half dime was late to the game only having been publically known for the past 30 or so years. Rarities like 1885 Trade Dollars and 1804 dollars have been with us for far longer. There might only be 1, 2, or 3 such half dime collectors in the world. If one or two decide to leave, that's a huge impact on the demand, even for a unique coin. And size does matter, esp. in a series not all that well collected at the finest known levels. I'd take an 1870-s dollar over the 1870-s half dime. And if the 1870-s quarter ever shows up, I think that would be monumental as well. But like the half dime, it would be late to the game to get the same respect and recognition as other rarities.

As stated in the PCGS press release, I found it odd that just "many" of the coins from this collection are of CAC quality. One typically sees words like all, most, majority, etc. when describing an ultimate finest known collection.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm amazed that PCGS posted a press release that referred to the ckack bean.

Didn't this coin sell for about $800K in the Jim Grey sale? So $1.4M is not a bad return at all.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>

<< <i>It must be still be the old days for some of us; Not a tweeter yet, so read about it here first. >>

OMG, a Baley post! Now that's worth tweeting about. image >>

Don't tweet but agree with the rest of your statement! image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeeG and RYK posting on the forum again...all is right with the world. image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    As stated in the PCGS press release, I found it odd that just "many" of the coins from this collection are of CAC quality. One typically sees words like all, most, majority, etc. when describing an ultimate finest known collection.

roadrunner >>

I do know that all except 3 coins stickered
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is that PCGS can say the uh word that equates to the stickems and we can't?image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>Why is that PCGS can say the uh word that equates to the stickems and we can't?image >>

Tis the Golden Rule......them as has the gold, make the rules!!!!!!

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    The unique 1873-CC ‘No Arrows’ dime will be auctioned next month. In today’s column, I mention the unique 1870-S half dime as well.

Unique 1873-CC ‘No Arrows’ Dime

Unique 1870-S Half Dime

Coins that have been auctioned for more than $2 million
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting that (a) mint records show 0 1870-S half dimes and (b) the SF mint had 6 half dime die pairs on hand.

Cool coin though it might be cooler to have 6 in existence, one for each die pair!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yummy- a dream coin
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    o I guess they use 1804 dollar grading rules, huh?

Market grading - Why grade it at all. Grade it "I have it and you don't"
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested in a fun story regading
    this 1870-S Half Dime, come by my table at the
    ANA next month.

I don't feel like typing out the whole story,
    and it loses something without the spoken
    word, but I have a funny story about the
    1870-S Half Dime when I happened to be
    in Rarcoa's office just after the discovery of it;
    I had some fun w/ Ed Milas - will share it at
    the ANA.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file