Home Sports Talk
Options

Rickey Henderson ... Not OFFICIALLY Retired ... But Will Be Inducted Into HOF?

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
As many of you know, Rickey Henderson will be inducted into Baseball's Hall of Fame later this month (and is sure to give one of the more entertaining speeches in the Hall's history). But I just read on ESPN that Rickey is not OFFICIALLY retired from baseball. Huh? So I guess you can be a member of Baseball's Hall of Fame, but not be retired? Okay, fair enough as I no knowledge of the inner workings of Major League Baseball. Does anyone know, then, what it takes to OFFICIALLY retire from baseball? I'm sure some kind of filing of papers is required.

Bonds, Sosa and Clemens. Unemployed to be sure and not likely to be employed (in terms of playing baseball). But does anyone know if any of these guys are officially retired?

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wonder if any HOFer played for more teams than Rickey did.

People made a big deal about Gaylord Perry having played for so many teams (five) in his career, but Rickey played for NINE teams in hisimage

Steve

Edited...Actually, I just looked, and Goose Gossage also played for nine teamsimage
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited...Actually, I just looked, and Goose Gossage also played for nine teams

Unlike Gossage though, Rickey is a slam dunk HOFer.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has a HOF'er in any sport come back to play?

Shane

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has a HOF'er in any sport come back to play? >>

Mario Lemieux and Gordie Howe are the only guys I know of.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Brown and Jim Palmer both tried, but weren't able to make it all the way back.

Steve
  • Options
    Rickey will make the HOF, and then sign with somebody to be a pinch runner.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I think there is paperwork to be filed to "officially" retire. If Clemens, Bonds, and Sosa were smart, and if it were at all possible, they would try to postpone their "retirement" as long as they can to give themselves a better chance of getting in. 10-15 years from now, the landscape may change enough to get the steroids guys in. Doubtful that it happens in 3-4 years.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Rickey will retire when Rickey says so. image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Rickey will retire when Rickey says so. image >>

The last words spoken by Rickey when he is inducted: Rickey is in the Hall of Fame ... Rickey is happy ... Rickey has a surprise for all of Rickey's fans ... Rickey is signing tomorrow to play for the A's.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.