Home Sports Talk
Options

Tiger Misses Cut; Disney/ABC Probably Not Happy

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
I hadn't planned on watching the British Open; but with Tiger missing the cut, I probably won't now. Disney/ABC probably isn't too happy.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hadn't planned on watching the British Open; but with Tiger missing the cut, I probably won't now. Disney/ABC probably isn't too happy.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

You're right about that...maybe they can get Tiger to do color commentary. LOL
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if Tom Watson is still in it on Sunday, I'll be watching...I'd love to see him win it again! image

Steve
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish the Open was in HD.
  • Options
    tiger is in every tourney (almost),
    Watson story is WAY more compelling than tiger ever could be,
    i think ABC will have huge ratings if watson plays well saturday...
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Eh, it's more interesting without the dour Woods. I'll watch for sure.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>
    ... >>

I disagre on this one. I'm a casual golf fan, and i honestly can't even tell you what "Watson's story" is. I doubt most other casual fans know either, and most probably don't care. I doubt ratings will plummet, but a drop can certainly be expected.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>tiger is in every tourney (almost),
    i think ABC will have huge ratings if watson plays well saturday... >>

Nope. Without Tiger they lose the casual fan and the huge ratings that come from that sector of
    the audience, only the hard core golfers care anything about Tom Watson and there are not enough
    of them to propel the ratings that much.
  • Options
    i think the casual fan is sick and tired of Tiger....
    we want new blood....we want someone who smiles at the gallery when they play, who doesnt cuss with thousands of fans around....
    tiger is old news and hasnt been dominant in many years
  • Options
    smetsmet Posts: 359 ✭✭

<< <i>tiger is old news and hasnt been dominant in many years >>

And may I add: image
  • Options

<< <i>i think the casual fan is sick and tired of Tiger....
    we want new blood....we want someone who smiles at the gallery when they play, who doesnt cuss with thousands of fans around.... >>

I'm basically a "casual" fan, and have watched golf only on rare occasions since Tiger Woods came up. I can't stand him. To me, he's always been too arrogant with all of his fist pumping and yelling.

Steve
  • Options
    i honestly feel people tune in when tiger plays TO ROOT AGAINST HIM...
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    "I think the casual fan is sick and tired of Tiger...."

No, I think the hard core golf fan might be getting a case of "tiger fatigue" but not the casual
    fan, the difference in TV ratings when he is not in a tournament is huge.
  • Options
    Lets hope Tom Watson can do what Greg Norman didn't do last year!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I have been a huge Watson fan my whole life. What the guy is doing is amazing, if you don't know who Tom Watson is you shouldn't be watching golf. No
    one knows the British Open better. Proves one thing...you don't have to hit it a mile to win! Tiger can afford to hit it right or left more of the time, but this isn't
    the Nissian open, its the big time and the grass will kill you!

GO TOM!

Kevin
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    ... >>

I disagre on this one. I'm a casual golf fan, and i honestly can't even tell you what "Watson's story" is. I doubt most other casual fans know either, and most probably don't care. I doubt ratings will plummet, but a drop can certainly be expected. >>

Watson was one of the very best in the world in the 70's and 80's. He may not be popular with the young casual golf fans but is a well known legend and winning the British Open a sixth time at 59 years old is a great story. If Watson is in the hunt the final day, it wil help ratings.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been a huge Watson fan my whole life. What the guy is doing is amazing, if you don't know who Tom Watson is you shouldn't be watching golf. No
    one knows the British Open better. Proves one thing...you don't have to hit it a mile to win! Tiger can afford to hit it right or left more of the time, but this isn't
    the Nissian open, its the big time and the grass will kill you!

GO TOM!

Kevin >>

I would like to see Watson win - much more compelling than a Tiger ass-smootch fest.

In his prime, Watson was probably the best golfer in terrible weather, which is why he won 5 British Opens. Let's see if he can turn back the clock!!
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    as a non golf fan and having friends who are huge golf fans i can honestly say i am sick of tiger and root against him at every turn...go anyone but tiger..i like seeing other people win....as for him not making the cut..awww poor baby maybe he should go back to his 50 room house and super model wife and cry about how bad his life isimage
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    If Tom Watson wins it will be the most talked about Major win since the 86 Masters. I think it will rank #1 instantly. Alot of people knocked Norman last year fro his failure to finish at 53 but Watson is 59. Norman, while a risky full throtle golfer, had trouble closing in his prime. Watson has normally sealed the deal. I am rooting for Tom Watson so he we be the new TW. Tiger who????
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope Watson wins... It would be a victory for the ages...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    i am surprized that they did not have people that did make the cut get "injured" so tiger could play...i have seen this happen in the olympics..so why not golf?
    my t-205's

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Is Sunday's final round televised live in the US or will it all be tape delayed?

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Is Sunday's final round televised live in the US or will it all be tape delayed?

Mike >>

ABC will have it live beginning at 0800 eastern time. Watson tees off at 0920 eastern.

Steve
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I too would love to see Watson pull it off. I am not much more than a casual fan, but this is a pretty compelling story!
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    this is WAY BETTER than if crybaby tiger was playing!

who wants to look at his PUSS? him slamming clubs on tee boxes..no thanks...
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    People may not like Tiger, but the fact is, ratings are much higher when he is in the hunt. That said, I think the ratings today could be better than if Tiger was near the top. This Watson story is THAT good. I really hope he pulls it off.
  • Options
    Go Tom Go!!! A share of the lead, 3 holes left.

Mike
  • Options
    I know in golf etiquette you are not supposed to root against players, BUT, I ain't playin'! Choke Cink, choke Westwood, choke Goggin, go Watson!!!!

Mike
  • Options
    aarrgghhh, what a horrible putt attempt on 18. On to a 4 hole playoff.

Mike
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I am not much a golf watcher, but I actually flipped the channel. Go Watson.
  • Options
    Oh well, at least he didn't get beat with a "fluke" shot. He lost it all on his own. Nice tournament though.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    devistation.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Just goes to show how cruel the game can be. If Watson's shot into the 18th green landed 18 inches shorter, it wouldn't have rolled off the back, and he'd have easy 2-putt FTW.
  • Options
    at least it was not tiger...lol
    my t-205's