Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Paul Song to head Bonham's LA Coin Auction Business

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bonhams Appoints Paul Inho Song Director, Coins and Banknotes

LOS ANGELES, CA.- Paul Inho Song joined Bonhams & Butterfields in July 2009 as Director, Coins and Banknotes Department. His primary responsibilities include business getting, appraisals and the day-to-day management of the newly formed Coins and Banknotes Department, which will hold three sales annually in Los Angeles and New York City.

Song has more than 20 years of experience in numismatics with a special expertise in appraising and selling 19th and 20th century American coinage. Over the course of his career, Song has been privileged to participate in the sale of over $250-million internationally.

Amongst his professional highlights, he has made one of the most significant discoveries in the field of American numismatics this century. In 1992, Song unearthed an extremely rare high relief of the 1907 Double Eagle designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. The coin was deemed one of the greatest rarities of 20th Century by the numismatic community. Subsequently in 1995, Song discovered yet another example of this previously unique variety, which was sold at auction for $242,000 USD in 1995. He is also credited with the sale of a pristine example of this Ultra High Relief from The Sam and Rie Bloomfield Collection of
Highly Important Gold Coins for $825,000 USD in 1996, a world auction record at the time for any gold coin.

Song began his numismatics career in 1988 at an international auction house in New York City as a junior cataloguer. By 1990, he had organized his first sale and had been appointed Department Head within two years. In 1994 he was made Vice President. During his time with the department, Song played an integral role in organizing some of the most exciting sales to come to auction in recent years.

Highlights from his tenure included one of the world's most valuable collection of ancient coins ever to be offered at auction, formed by Nelson Bunker and his brother, William Herbert Hunt; Merrill Lynch's limited partnership - The Athena Fund Collection of Greek and Roman Coins; The Uruguayan Treasure of the Rio de la Plata, sold by the instruction of the country of Uruguay; The Sam and Rie Bloomfield Collection of Highly Important Gold Coins, sold to benefit the
Bloomfield Foundation in San Diego, California; The John and Rebecca Moores Collection of Important United States Coinage, sold to benefit The Scripps Research Institute; and The famed Treasures from the SS Central America, one of the most valuable salvaged shipwrecks in history. By 1999, Song was actively involved in the development of a joint venture between the auction house and an online web giant, and implemented online rare coin auctions.

In 2001, Song was hired by the West Coast office of an online auction house with a focus in coins. He took on additional responsibilities with the further expansion of the brand and corporate acquisitions of two additional firms, which included consolidation of the business from New York to Southern California in 2003.

Most recently, Song held the position as Senior Vice President of Auctions at a California-based auction house with a focus in rare coins, jewelry and timepieces. During this time he was responsible for business development, infrastructure and development of new auction categories. The highlights during his tenure included the implementation of jewelry and timepiece auctions, as well as the sale of
The Good River Collection featuring more than $10-million of United States coinage sold to benefit the State of Ohio pension plan.

Song holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Wisconsin at Madison and a Masters in Business Administration from New York University, Stern School of Management in International Finance and Marketing. In addition, he is graduate of Sotheby's American Works of Art course, New York, New York. Song and his family currently reside in Los Angeles, California.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    Good for Paul!

Does that mean we can expect to see Bonhams start auctioning US coins?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of Bonhams & Butterfields. I need to look them up and find out more about them.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, does this mean he will "work for a song"? imageimageimage

Note: Above is humor, not meant to offend anyone.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    I wish him well in his new position.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may not be the right move for Paul. For the past couple months, Paul has been working out and trimming up eating the right food (making his wife very happy). Now, he heads back to a job where he will likely eat fast food all the time and not make it to the gym all that much image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this Mike's company?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never heard of Bonhams & Butterfields. I need to look them up and find out more about them. >>

It's a good thing that Mr. Bonham did not become partners with a Scotsman named Clyde back in 1793......

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Bonhams is a pretty big fine art auction house. It is privately held. Here is what I found on the web:
    ---------
    Bonhams operates as an auction house in the United Kingdom. It holds auctions of items in various categories, such as fine art, antiques, collectibles, paintings, motor cars, cycles, books, porcelain, contemporary ceramics, jewelry, rivercraft, African and Oceanic art, Asian art, Islamic art, books, maps and manuscripts, sports memorabilia, stamps, carpets, furniture, sculpture and works of art, musical instruments, native American and Pre-Columbian art, pianos, natural history, 20th century British Art, contemporary art, frames, Greek pictures, photography, Scottish pictures, Russian, portrait miniatures, silver, and wine. The company has locations in Europe, Americas, Australasia, Asia, and the Middle East. Bonhams was founded in 1793 and is based in London, the United Kingdom with representative offices in Brisbane and Perth.
    ---------
  • Options
    Hello, I didnt see this thread until now, I have been busy at my new gig! Please let me know if any of you fine gents want to get on my list for auction catalogues etc. My first is December 3, 2009 in our flagship New York City Gallery, www.bonhams.com/newyork. Best wishes, Paul Song
    Paul Inho Song
    Director, Coin and Banknote Auctions
    Bonhams & Butterfields Auctioneers and Appraisers since 1793
    7601 Sunset Boulevard
    Los Angeles CA 90046
    (323) 436 5455
    (310) 633 4170 work mobile
    paul.song@bonhams.com
    www.bonhams.com/uscoins
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Hello, I didnt see this thread until now, I have been busy at my new gig! Please let me know if any of you fine gents want to get on my list for auction catalogues etc. My first is December 3, 2009 in our flagship New York City Gallery, www.bonhams.com/newyork. Best wishes, Paul Song >>

What were you guys doing in 1793?
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that his resume doesn't name Superior Galleries, it just says a California based auction house...hmmmm. >>

It's not a resume, it is a news release. And it is normal for the new employer not to give the old employer, and competitor, free press in their news release. The same was done higher up with his 1988 employment. --Jerry
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Bonhams has been a very high end auction house in the UK forever, or at least since 1793. I used to frequesnt their sales when I lived over there and collected 18th C. pottery.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul: Send me one out. Where exactly is your NYC gallery located?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hello, I didnt see this thread until now, I have been busy at my new gig! Please let me know if any of you fine gents want to get on my list for auction catalogues etc. My first is December 3, 2009 in our flagship New York City Gallery, www.bonhams.com/newyork. Best wishes, Paul Song >>

What were you guys doing in 1793? >>

Probably gearing up for sales of 1794 Dollars.
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • Options

<< <i>
    What were you guys doing in 1793? >>

Probably gearing up for sales of 1794 Dollars. >>

Hah! That was considered "modern junk" back then.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file