Home Sports Talk
Options

Howard makes history with 200th career homer

stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
With his sixth-inning homer, Ryan Howard became the fastest player in history to reach the 200-HR plateau.

Comments

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but he is still Ryan Howard. He turns 30 this year. Lots of guys hit 200 by age 30. I bet he does not make it to 400.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bet he does not make it to 400. >>

Homers or pounds? I'll take the latter...
  • Options
    and I'll take the NL East titles and World Series championship of which Ryan Howard was an important part.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I am constantly amazed that with all the Phillie noise on these boards-- and there is plenty-- there has, to the best of my knowledge, never been a single thread originated by a Phillie slappy that was dedicated to the best player on their team. Does any other legion of fans so consistently and utterly disregard their best player? Do Pens fans sit around all day and extol the virtues of Brooks Orpik? Do Marlins fans post nothing but dreamy thoughts on Ricky Nolasco when they congregate on the 'net?

• Options

<< <i>I am constantly amazed that with all the Phillie noise on these boards-- and there is plenty-- there has, to the best of my knowledge, never been a single thread originated by a Phillie slappy that was dedicated to the best player on their team. Does any other legion of fans so consistently and utterly disregard their best player? Do Pens fans sit around all day and extol the virtues of Brooks Orpik? Do Marlins fans post nothing but dreamy thoughts on Ricky Nolasco when they congregate on the 'net? >>

Home run hitters have usually garnered the most attention from baseball fans.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Howard is just a beast and now with Ibanez hitting behind him they have to pitch to Ryan. Sucks to be a NL pitcher these days.

Kevin

PS Oh and Moyer STILL owns the fish!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am constantly amazed that with all the Phillie noise on these boards-- and there is plenty-- there has, to the best of my knowledge, never been a single thread originated by a Phillie slappy that was dedicated to the best player on their team. Does any other legion of fans so consistently and utterly disregard their best player? Do Pens fans sit around all day and extol the virtues of Brooks Orpik? Do Marlins fans post nothing but dreamy thoughts on Ricky Nolasco when they congregate on the 'net? >>

Home run hitters have usually garnered the most attention from baseball fans. >>

Silly me-- and all this time I thought a second basemen who you could pencil in for .300/30/105 would raise a few eyebrows. Always nice to see that the 'smartest fans in sports' (isn't that what you called the Philly faithful?) know who butters their bread.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Home run hitters have usually garnered the most attention from baseball fans. >>

Silly me-- and all this time I thought a second basemen who you could pencil in for .300/30/105 would raise a few eyebrows. Always nice to see that the 'smartest fans in sports' (isn't that what you called the Philly faithful?) know who butters their bread. >>

Utley has a shot, a good shot, at eventually being known as one of the top ten second basemen of all time.

But who the heck wants to talk about second basemen? image
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    What would Philly fans know about second basemen? They're still ticked off about Ryno going to Chi-Town...
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, but he is still Ryan Howard. He turns 30 this year. Lots of guys hit 200 by age 30. I bet he does not make it to 400. >>

If he stays @ citizen ballpark, Ill take that bet...
  • Options
    Phils have been blessed to have produced some terrific 2nd basemen... Samuel, Ryno, Utley
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    never been a single thread originated by a Phillie slappy that was dedicated to the best player on their team

Boo I guess you missed Stalin's Utley is the new Ted Williams thread.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>never been a single thread originated by a Phillie slappy that was dedicated to the best player on their team

Steve >>

Every time I see Utley play I think of that thread title and have a good laugh. Utley is a fine player, but a new Ted Williams? Please!
    Brett
  • Options

<< <i>never been a single thread originated by a Phillie slappy that was dedicated to the best player on their team

Steve >>

Boo missed it because he was probably busy posting in the "Everybody loves Economists" forum in which there are five members, one of whom has three alt-Id's. image
  • Options
    Hey, good for the big boy.

Enjoy the HR while he still can hit them, and still be good. He will still hit them in the future, but his other at bats will continue to be more costly and costly with lots of key outs and rally killing at bats, until he officially turns into the Richie Sexson of '07/'08.

It is quite amazing that Utley gets such little respect(except from Stalin of course), while Howard gets an INAPPROPRIATE share of credit(which is mostly my reason for posting all the Howard stuff). As Billy Jean said, "Fair is Fair."
  • Options

<< <i>

Steve >>

Boo missed it because he was probably busy posting in the "Everybody loves Economists" forum in which there are five members, one of whom has three alt-Id's. image >>

My bad. Our resident Flannery O'Conner freak has reached out and acknowledged Utley, and in all the surface noise I forgot about that.

I now return you to the ceaseless adoration of the Phillies' clinically obese 1st baseman.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Steve >>

Boo missed it because he was probably busy posting in the "Everybody loves Economists" forum in which there are five members, one of whom has three alt-Id's. image >>

My bad. Our resident Flannery O'Conner freak has reached out and acknowledged Utley, and in all the surface noise I forgot about that.

I now return you to the ceaseless adoration of the Phillies' clinically obese 1st baseman. >>

<<< Flannery O'Conner freak >>>

I might be miffed if I had any idea what that meant. LOL

Like most economists, ya can't understand 'em because they really have no discernible clue as to the accuracy of their forecasts...but they talk a good game to make ya think they know what they're doing...possibly a small step up from an astrologer. image

Boo...I honestly thought you knew better than to begin chanting like the kid Hoopster...Do you really believe that Philadelphia fans don't know how valuable and important Utley is to our team? Just because his name isn't brought up here often with smack talk, has no correlation whatsoever with how he is admired and appreciated by all Phillies fans. Did I really have to explain this to you? I guess I did.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I think the reason Utley isn't brought up more often is that there isn't alot to talk about, well argue about. Most of the Ryan Howard threads are devoted to some saying he is the next Kingman and the rest defending him. What would a Chase Utley thread be like

Post #1: Chase Utley is really good and is the best 2nd baseman in the game.
    Post #2: I agree, he also might be one of the best 2nd baseman of all time
    Post #3: I agree with both of you.
    Post #4: IWTDMBIT
    Post #5: Seven Dust.

Thread total posts: 5
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>
    I now return you to the ceaseless adoration of the Phillies' clinically obese 1st baseman. >>

obsese? have you seen him this year? he friggin SVELTE and playing good defense (aside from his throws which are sketchy)....