Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hi I need help with value of cob from Concepcion

I do a lot of appraisals and some include foreign coins. Most I know how to get values on, but I can't find a value for a cob from the Concepcion. I believe it is 8 reales and it appears to be VF condition based on its state of preservation. Could someone provide both a retail and a wholesale value of it. Sorry, I don't have a picture nor do I have the coin in my possession. Thanks!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's going to depend on the date and the state of preservation, obviously.

I have a 17th century Krause edition but you may have that yourself. If the coin predates 1601 (assuming the Concepcion was carrying some pieces that were more than 40 years old when it sank), then it's going to be before the period Krause covers.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the documentation I saw with the coin, it said 1622 - 1641. I couldn't verify that at the time. Does this help?

• Options
    Assuming Mexico City mint, the 3rd Edition Krause lists the 1621-1667 eight-reales as KM#45. Obviously your coin would date no later than 1641 as that is the year the ship sank. Values for a no-date piece where the date is off the flan are $70 VG, $90 F, $120 VF. Were it datable, the 1621-41 coins all go $200 VG, $350 F, and $500 VF.

Bear in mind that the 3rd Edition 17th century Krause volume I'm using came out in 2003. Naturally, there are also a number of other issues that may affect the price, like demand for these from outside numismatic channels, what sort of premium the shipwreck pedigree and documentation might bring, the amount of salt water corrosion, etc.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Robertson! This one is VF or so and didn't seem to have much corrosion. It certainly looked a LOT better than those U. S. half dollars that came out of the shipwreck!

I owe you one!

Rich

• Options
    Glad I could help, albeit in a minimal way.