Home Testing Forum
Options

A NEW WEEKLY GAME WITH PRIZES!

WANTED: Wry, sarcastic, witty, cleaver forum members for A NEW WEEKLY GAME!

A new weekly game...with a monthly payoff (yes, there are prizes involved)!
I hope to draw on the wry, sarcastic, and witty nature of the forum's members.

imageThe Game: Each week I will post a piece of U.S. currency (e.g., Nationals, Small Size Type, US Type, Fractional, MPC, World, etc). As this game is hosted by me, please do not be offended if there are just a few more notes in the National category…

imageObjective: To write an "auction-style" catalog description of the note. But this is no regular description.

Rules: Your entry will be judged on the following merits:
1) Historical/factual accuracy
2) Creativity/humor (e.g., comments on the town, real or fictional provenance, over-the-top descriptions, metaphors, etc), anything to make your fellow forum members and the judges' jaws drop (keep it clean).
3) Appropriate (either serious or humorous) use of THREE DIFFERENT KEY WORDS each week that must be used in the description. The keywords will be posted at the same time as the note.
4) Length must be between 150-350 words. For those writing drafts in MS Word, go to “tools” and then click on “Word count.” Longer is not better if you are simply babbling.

Contestants will have exactly ONE WEEK from the time the note is posted to send me their entry.

Entry/Submission: To prevent the unconscious process of borrowing ideas, thoughts, phrases (i.e., unintended plagiarism) from earlier posts, ALL SUBMISSIONS will be sent to me via PM or email. Once sent, no changes will be accepted. One day after the weekly closing time, all submissions will be posted, and numbered to retain anonymity.

imageJudging: I will accept PM or email votes for one week and the three entries with the highest number of votes will be reviewed by a panel of currency collectors/experts (myself and two others who are not participating). While the voting is occurring, a second note will be posted for you to begin working on. Within one week of the first note closing, a winner of the week will be announced (authors of the three highest-rated entries will be revealed).

Once the second weekly note is closed to new entries, the same process will occur while a third note is posted.

For Example: Note #1 is posted sometime during Friday, July 2nd. Contestants have until midnight (EST) Friday July 9th to send me their entry. Note #2 will be posted at or around midnight of Friday, July 9th and entries will be accepted for exactly one week. While contestants are working on Note #2, I will post all entries for note #1 for your viewing and voting pleasure. A winner of Note #1 will be announced at approximately the same time as submissions for note #2 close, and so on, and so forth...

imageThe Prize: At the end of each four-week period (aka, a month), the above mentioned panel will pick a winner of the month (from the pool of each week's top three finalists), who will receive a banknote valued between $50 and $150. Unless specifically stated in advance, the note you are writing about will never be the prize.

Caveat: If there is not sufficient interest from the forum members (e.g., at least 3-5 entries for the first few weeks), the contest will be closed.

I am open to feedback (PM or email) as to ideas to improve or streamline this idea. Posts not directly related to this contest will be deleted by administration.

WEEK #1 (7/22 – 7/29) Entries must be time-stamped prior to midnight on 7/29/10.

THREE WORDS: discombobulated, Kremlin, Steven Spielberg

Assumed Grade: 55PPQ

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." -Dostoevsky