Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official All-Time PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES Set Registry Thread

Thanks for the input on the earlier developmental thread. I have added to the list as seen below, and still seek comments for set development changes, omissions or additions. What a rich tradition the Phillies have - they're the oldest continously nicknamed team in American pro sports. No wonder the All-Time Set is developing into spanning 1800s Old Judge cards all the way to 21st century refractors - amazing!

1887 Old Judge Billy Hamilton $6,500
1887 Old Judge Sam Thompson $6,500
1887 Old Judge Ed Delahanty $25,000
1909-11 T206 Sherry Magee $65,000
1933 Goudey #74 Eppa Rixey $1,300
1933 Goudey #128 Chuck Klein $1,600
1948-49 Leaf #49 Del Ennis $265
1949 Bowman #14 Curt Simmons $120
1949 Bowman #46 Robin Roberts $550
1949 Bowman #214 Richie Ashburn $1,750
1950 Bowman #226 Jim Konstanty $150
1957 Topps #338 Jim Bunning $325
1958 Topps #411 Tony Taylor $35
1963 Topps #537 Pete Rose $1,750
1964 Topps #243 Richie Allen $60
1965 Topps #477 Steve Carlton $285
1965 Topps #533 Tug McGraw $50
1970 Topps #539 Larry Bowa $10
1971 Topps #439 Greg Luzinski $16
1973 Topps #322 Garry Maddox $6
1973 Topps #615 Mike Schmidt $210
1989 Donruss #635 Curt Schilling $1
1998 Bowman Chrome Refractor #181 Jimmy Rollins $27
2001 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres #62 Ryan Howard $22 or
2003 Bowman Chrome Draft Picks #138 Ryan Howard $18
2001 Bowman Draft Picks #69 Chase Utley $28 or
2001 Bowman Heritage #304 Chase Utley $12
2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Picks #17 Cole Hamels $18

The price after the card is the SMR value in PSA 8, which is used for the Set Weighting. Since the last draft, I have added Old Judge cards, Magee, the 1973 Garry Maddox, and Schilling, Rollins, Howard, Utley, and Hamels. The newer cards (I'm a vintage guy, so for me terms like "Chrome" and "Refractor" are a foreign language image ), were selected on a balance of high value and a population high enough to sustain collectibility.

Should Tony Taylor remain on the list? One poster contended that Bob Boone be added? Boone was a 3-time All-Star for the Phils. Any other comments are welcome before the Set Composite is submitted to PSA.

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    There are a few thoughts/philosophies I thought I would share with you regarding this list.

I highly recommend you change Sherry Magie.

Magee was a star for the Phillies, and if you want to include a card of his on the all-time registry, please go ahead and do so. But there is no compelling reason to make it the T206 error card. That is a card whose value is solely derived from its error status. If that were the point of this Registry Set, I would advise you to include the 1958 Topps Pancho Herrer error card as well.

Fundamentally, I disagree with some of the choices and philosophies espoused below. A) Why does it have to be the single card described in your list? For example, Billy Hamilton has an 1895 Mayo card that is very cool.

But, more holistically, it is downright silly to include players on cards when they are not actually pictured with the Phillies!! Why would you include Pete Rose's rookie card in an all-time Phillies team set? The cards to be included for Pete Rose should be one of the cards from 1979 to 1984 that depict him as a Philadelphia Phillie. Same with '57 Bunning [Detroit], 1965 Carlton [Cardinals], 1989 Schilling [Orioles]. An all-time Phillies set should *only* be comprised of Phillies cards.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    I think Marc makes some points to consider...

I personally like the idea of having a range of cards for that player qualify for the set. I agree that the range of cards should really only be the cards of that player where he is in a Phillies Uniform. Visually, that would look better then only the rookie cards with various teams on them.

Other considerations for the set:

Lenny Dykstra.. Nails!
    John Kruk Wasn't pretty, but sure could hit.
    Darren Daulton Maybe a little crazy, but long time Phillie

These guys were key in getting to the 1993 World Series

You would also be remiss to exclude Grover Cleveland Alexander. His number is retired with the Phillies, he is a HOF'er, and he had a number of good years with the Phillies.

Although you could utilize his 1913 game cards [National Game, Tom Barker], 1914 T222 Fatima, my suggestion would be his 1915 Cracker Jack card, because it is quite beautiful, plentiful and probably the singly most popular card of Alexander.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Sorry for all the posts on this...I think you should also include Harry Wright...he has a number of cards from Old Judge and others as a Phillies manager.
    I love Cole Hamels/Ryan Howard/Chase Utley/Jimmy Rollins, but I think a little more time is needed before they would qualify for this set...

How about Pat Burrell? Not a HoFer or anything, but 10 years service is pretty good and it will be more then he serves with any other team.
  • Remember nothing "has to be" or "can't be". I'm only beginning a draft list of All-Time Phillies for submission, and we have to start somewhere. Some back story - PSA had a set named "All-Time Phillies" which they have since changed to "All-Time Philadelphia" when I pointed out that set includes both Philadelphia Athletics and Philadelphia Phillies. They're two separate franchises, and I feel that there will be more interest going forward in an "All-Time Phillies Set", which does not currently exist.

I think that some excellent points have been brought up already, notably Cougar's in that some current Phillies don't yet have the service time in. That appears especially poignant in Cole Hamels' case - a player with just 43 career wins. I think the question that needs to be asked when considering inclusion in an "All-Time" set is, "If the player's career ended today, would he have contributed enough?". Ryan Howard already has 200 HRs and an MVP award, so he may qualify already. What about Rollins - an MVP already? Anyone else have thoughts on he or Utley?

Yes, a substitute card should probably be used for difficult the Sherry Magie (Magee) error so I'm open to suggestion.

• As I no longer plan to pursue gathering input and attempting consensus-building in helping develop this Set Composite, I want to bring this thread to the surface in the event that another collector would like to do so.

At last check, the closest resemblance to a proposed "All-Time Phillies Set" is the existing "All-Time Philadelphia Baseball" Key Card Set, which includes both Philadelphia Athletics and Philadelphia Phillies players.

Building this Set Composite is likely to be difficult. That is chiefly because a coherent set would probably include cards from the late 1800s all the way until the early 2000s. Baseball season is approaching and the Phillies are hot. It could be a fun time for someone to develop this Set Composite with input from other posters here.

-Keith
    Love that Schmidty card... I may have to upgrade my 8.5 one day!

Weinhold, have you considered starting/completing the Phillies Topps Team Cards 1956 - 2007?
    You've already received my feedback so no point to go on here. Personally, I would be interested in a set like this if it only included cards of players shown in Phillies uniforms. Although I have a *large* number of Pete Rose and Steve Carlton cards in my collection, they are not cards of them in Reds and Cardinals uniforms [e.g. their rookie cards], but rather cards of them in their Phillies uniform. It just doesn't feel like a Phillie set to me to have a number of cards with people in different uniforms.

Best-
    m