Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A New Edw. VII Penny

Just added this one to my set, 6 down and 4 to go. This is in 65RB, and you can probably guess where it came from. There are only three coins graded 66 in the whole series so I settled on 65 RB as the right grade to try to put together a set. And I look at a lot of raw coins to try to make the grade, so far I have only made one of the ones in the set, the others I have submitted all made 64. I guess that is better than the Edw. VII halfpennies though, only one 66 in the whole series so far.

Comments

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    It looks nice, congrats on the new addition.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Nice clean, smooth skin and color! image

• Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin. Congratulations!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice penny. They are tough to get in this level of grade. In fact, all Eddie VII pieces are very, very tough in 65 or higher, even if UNCs happen to be common (like they are in the halfpenny and penny series). Of all the monarchs I collect, this one is the most consistently bagmarked / scratched.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I agree Wybrit, the mint seemed to make sure every coin was well marked up before being issued during his reign. I can't count the number of pieces I've looked at raw trying to find some that will make 65, with only one success.