Home Sports Talk
Options

Local Little League Drama

This was in our local paper today. What's your take?

The score was tied at 5 in the top of the last inning when South Lake’s Hunter Cowers crushed a baseball deep into the Spring Hill night. Team­mates thronged the exuberant boy at home plate, celebrating the dramatic go-ahead home run.

In his elation, however, Cowers failed to touch home — a misstep that has turned a simple game among 11­and 12-year-olds into a swirling con­troversy involving angr y adults and lawyers.

Realizing Cowers’ mistake, a South Lake coach turned the boy around and sent him back to the plate. But it was too late. An umpire called him out.

That set off nearly two hours of ar­gument that involved a protest com­mittee, the district and state directors of the Dixie Youth Baseball and e ven a consultation with the league’s nation­al commissioner in Texas. The state director then upheld the umpire’s rul­ing . Cowers was out.

South Lake’s opponent that night, Spring Hill National Triple-A Majors All Stars, went on to win the June 30 game in extra innings, then another in the tournament. But three days later, their dreams of a state title were crushed when the national commis­sioner reversed the ruling , awarding the game to South Lake, a Lake Coun­ty team.

Today, one national pastime, play­ing baseball, will collide with another, filing lawsuits, in Hernando County Judge Kurt Hitzemann’s courtroom. Parents and every Spring Hill team member will be in court to hear at­torney Scott Smith argue for an adult version of the time-honored method of resolving sandlot sports disputes — a do-over. They are seeking an in­junction that would allow Spring Hill to play in the state tournament that begins Friday.

That’s all well and good for the adults who are now in charge. But for the youngsters involved, the matter is a lot simpler.

“It stinks,’’ said 12-year-old Spring Hill right-fielder John Centella. “We’ve always followed the rules, but they have been broken and it feels like we’ve been cheated.’’

A person answering the phone at the home of Manny Mendoza, the manager of South Lake, hung up on a tbt* reporter seeking comment.

Beetz said Spring Hill’s argument today will not focus on the umpire’s ruling on June 30, but on the league’s protocols for filing appeals. T he rules, he said, state teams can protest the outcome of a game only if there is doubt raised about a player’s eligibil­ity. “If the judge were just to look at the rule book, then he’ ll see the deci­sion wasn’t right,” he said.

National commissioner Wes Skel­ton, who lives in Texas, said the rule about player eligibility is just for man­agers. Directors or commissioners are allowed to over turn an outcome or umpire’s ruling.

Skelton explained he had a confer­ence call with Spring Hill manager Al Sorrentino and Spring Hill league director Jim Keith. Skelton said Keith apparently told the South Lake man­ager that Skelton had been consulted on the umpire’s ruling, so Mendoza did not pursue the matter further.

That was not true, Skelton said. He said he reversed the decision be­cause Mendoza and South Lake had not been given a chance to appeal the ruling.

“The judge has a chance to become a baseball commissioner today,” he said. “He will pretty much be able to do what he wants with our rules.”

Jerry Theilen has been umpiring and training umpires for 11 years. While he did not train the umpir­ing crew at the June 30 game, he has heard what had happened. T heilen suggested the fairest way to resolve the controversy might be to award tournament berths to both Spring Hill and South Lake.

Skelton said the state tournament already has 12 teams. “Kicking a team out to put (Spring Hill) in, I don’t think that would be right,” he said.

Comments

• Options
    honestly, they should have just let the team that hit the homerun win in the first place, WHO FREAKIN cares if they excited kid missed homeplate, especially if he was mobbed by his team on the field.

that being said, they should immediately toss out any and all lawsuits, and say the ruling on the field stands, get the hell out of my courtroom you slack jawed yokels.
  • Options
    My son's all star team had a similar but even more assenine situation a few weeks ago. Out team was up 19-8 in the next to last inning. We substituted a player due to injury who was on 3rd. Last inning, the kid that came into the game as a runner came up to bat. We asked the umps for a ruling. They said let him bat. Kid hits a double. Other team protests. He is then called out by the same ump that allowed him to bat.

We still won, but the same team was the eventual city champs. They are just kids. Let them play and get over these 120 year old rules that are insignificant and it's only a problem if one team is sour about losing and looking for a way to change the outcome.
  • Options
    Baseball rules say a runner is out if he misses home plate and that plate is tagged before he returns to it.

If the other team tagged home plate before he returned, and the umpire called him out, then he is out.

If the coach turned him back before the other team had a chance to tag home plate, then the coach interfered
    with play, and the play is dead, and the batter is out.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ya come to a traffic light, the red light means stop...if say just 1% of drivers would disobey this rule, then traffic lights would basically cease to have meaning. Rules are in place for a reason...I'm not saying all rules are necessarily just...but the rule here is that the batter is out, and the rule should be obeyed. Case closed.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    It seems to me that the real problem here is not which team should have won the game but that all the fighting and court cases is ruining the GAME for these kids. Whatever happened to having fun playing baseball?
  • Options
    I agree w SteveK & Edmondfitgerald - the rules are the rules. What more is there to talk about?
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree w SteveK & Edmondfitgerald - the rules are the rules. What more is there to talk about? >>

Me too. I am astounded that the Umpire's correct call was overturned.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When ya come to a traffic light, the red light means stop...if say just 1% of drivers would disobey this rule, then traffic lights would basically cease to have meaning. Rules are in place for a reason...I'm not saying all rules are necessarily just...but the rule here is that the batter is out, and the rule should be obeyed. Case closed. >>

I find it rather arrogant that you give your opinion and then state "case closed." Apparently it is not closed, as some opinions differ from yours.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>When ya come to a traffic light, the red light means stop...if say just 1% of drivers would disobey this rule, then traffic lights would basically cease to have meaning. Rules are in place for a reason...I'm not saying all rules are necessarily just...but the rule here is that the batter is out, and the rule should be obeyed. Case closed. >>

I find it rather arrogant that you give your opinion and then state "case closed." Apparently it is not closed, as some opinions differ from yours. >>

It's not an opinion - it's a rule.

You wanna change the rule so that if an excited player forgets to touch home plate then that's okay, or a player doesn't need to touch home plate say on a walk off home run, then you help get the rule changed or follow the rule. Case closed.
  • Options
    the only thing that is closed is your pea sized brain image
  • Options

<< <i>the only thing that is closed is your pea sized brain image >>

...that happens to almost always be right. image ...but this shouldn't even be a debatable point.

...but oh what the heck...golly gee...let's not bother with touching those silly bases at all...as long as a player gets close to touching them while rounding the diamond, then that's okay...is that right? LOL
  • Options
    If fact, next time I'm playing baseball, and get a nice extra base hit, I'm just gonna run left to third base and take a triple rather than going to first and second base, and then third base...that would be a lot easier with less running, right?
  • Options
    ...and to heck with them stupid red lights...let's just go thru 'em...no sense stopping for nothing. Ha!

I'm liking this no having to follow the rules stuff. image
  • Options
    When my son gets a little older and I'm coaching Little League, one thing I will probably teach them is to save the celebrations for after the game - I know it looks cool when the pros jump up and down after a walk-off HR, but this came in the top of the inning - the game was far from over.
  • Options
    There is also something to be said, at any age, for winning with class and acting like you've done it (hit a HR, score a TD or goal, etc) before.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    we won our allstar game the other night with a walk off homer and all of our kids ran out of the dugout.

the ump behind the plate yelled at them all to get back from the plate and watched the kid circling the bases until he touched home.

then he was mobbed.

sorry but rules are rules.
  • Options

<< <i>If fact, next time I'm playing baseball, and get a nice extra base hit, I'm just gonna run left to third base and take a triple rather than going to first and second base, and then third base...that would be a lot easier with less running, right? >>

• Options
    When it's all said and done, I'll bet one thing is for sure; that kid will be sure to touch home plate when he crosses it in the future.
  • Options
    A follow up for those interested:

Baseball is a game of rules, and Hernando County Judge Kurt Hitze­mann scoured the Dixie Youth Base­ball League Official Rule book until he found what he needed.

“Lawyer words,’’ he called them.

Citing bylaws that give the league’s national commissioner the final say in disputes, the judge on Wednesday rejected a Spring Hill team’s request to reverse the commissioner’s July 3 ruling and allow them to play in this weekend’s state tournament.

“I didn’t see anything in this book that said if you don’t like what the national commissioner says you can take it to court,” Hitzemann said.

Nearly 30 suppor ters, including some of the 11- and 12-year-old boys on the Spring Hill National Triple­A Majors All Stars, attended the hear­ing. They all left disappointed.

“We’re all upset with this ruling and we’re kind of mad,’’ said 12-year­old Johb Centella.

The controversy stems from a game on June 30 between Spring Hill and a team from South Lake.

That night, a player for South Lake hit a go-ahead home run in the top of the final inning , but failed to touch home plate and was ruled out. After a lengthy debate involving of­ficials from the Dixie Youth Baseball organization, the umpire’s ruling stood. The Spring Hill squad won that game in e xtra innings.

Three days later, Wes Skelton, the league’s national commissioner, awarded the game to South Lake, saying they had been denied an op­portunity to appeal the decision on the night of the game.
  • Options

<< <i>A follow up for those interested:

Baseball is a game of rules, and Hernando County Judge Kurt Hitze­mann scoured the Dixie Youth Base­ball League Official Rule book until he found what he needed.

“Lawyer words,’’ he called them.

Citing bylaws that give the league’s national commissioner the final say in disputes, the judge on Wednesday rejected a Spring Hill team’s request to reverse the commissioner’s July 3 ruling and allow them to play in this weekend’s state tournament.

“I didn’t see anything in this book that said if you don’t like what the national commissioner says you can take it to court,” Hitzemann said.

Nearly 30 suppor ters, including some of the 11- and 12-year-old boys on the Spring Hill National Triple­A Majors All Stars, attended the hear­ing. They all left disappointed.

“We’re all upset with this ruling and we’re kind of mad,’’ said 12-year­old Johb Centella.

The controversy stems from a game on June 30 between Spring Hill and a team from South Lake.

That night, a player for South Lake hit a go-ahead home run in the top of the final inning , but failed to touch home plate and was ruled out. After a lengthy debate involving of­ficials from the Dixie Youth Baseball organization, the umpire’s ruling stood. The Spring Hill squad won that game in e xtra innings.

Three days later, Wes Skelton, the league’s national commissioner, awarded the game to South Lake, saying they had been denied an op­portunity to appeal the decision on the night of the game. >>

Video interview with Wes Skelton with his own comments about the rules of the league (not about this incident)

http://www.infosports.com/videos/baseball/1221.htm