Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opinions....Who is the more underrated HOF'er Eddie Murray or Rickey Henderson?

Murray

Career G AB R H 2B 3B HR GS RBI TB BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG

3,026 11,336 1,627 3,255 560 35 504 19 1,917 5,397 1,333 1,516 110 .287 .359 .476

Henderson

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB avg OBP SLG

Career 3,081 10,961 2,295 3,055 510 66 297 1,115 4,588 2,190 1,694 1,406 .279 .401 .419

I like Murray, however, Rickey's Runs, BB and Stolen Bases (leadoff hrs) give him the edge in my opinion. Murray's Total Bases and RBI WOW! Mmmmmmmmmm........can i change my mind?

Comments

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Murray
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Rickey is the greatest ever. There's no comparison to Rickey.

--Rickey Henderson

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    completely different guys.

Rickey couldn't wait to see microphones in his face......he also changed the face of the game.

Eddie might have imagined shoving microphones in your face......and his expression never changed.
  • coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    Not sure if a HOF'er can be underrated. You hear a lot less about Murray than Henderson.
  • I have nothing to add, but please tell me you aren't one of those conspiracy theorists that thinks the US government was behind the 9/11 attacks.

• onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    I thought about that also..........That is kind of an oxymoron. (HOF and underrrated)

<< <i>I have nothing to add, but please tell me you aren't one of those conspiracy theorists that thinks the US government was behind the 9/11 attacks.

image >>

All i say is educate yourself about a topic and make YOUR OWN conclusions.........................

• << <i>All i say is educate yourself about a topic and make YOUR OWN conclusions......................... >>

I am more than educated. I can also look at numerous videos and use common sense. I have no need to spend years looking for a glimmer of "hope" that our government killed almost 3000 people just for snorts and giggles.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All i say is educate yourself about a topic and make YOUR OWN conclusions......................... >>

That would be nice except for the fact that most people under 30 get all of their information about anything newsworthy from blogs and homemade videos posted on Youtube. So they're usually 'educating themselves' with someone else's very biased and unproven ideas and thoughts.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wasn't this thread about moody baseball players? image
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    Ricky is the greatest of all time, just ask him, so how can he be "underrated!?"

More importantly, I had missed the 9/11 conspiracy thing. Really? That's scary you would waste your thoughts like that. Plain silly.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Murray is very underrated. He's one of just four players with 500 HR and 3,000 hits (Mays, Aaron and Palmeiro are the others). Henderson was obviously a great player, but I think he gets his due. Perhaps he's somewhat slighted for his quirky personality and days that he just didn't feel like playing. All in all though, I think Murray is definitely the more underrated of the two.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad flew A-3 Skywarriors in Vietnam (the plane many believe crashed into the Pentagon) and he thinks the theory is crap. And he's a whack job, so that tells you something.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    sb 1,406

probably the greatest of all time.

played forever.

made it ok for leadoff men to hit home runs.

added style into catching a pop fly.

He taught so many players after him.

answer: Henderson
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Rickey is far from underrated! He's the greatest!

He told us so.
  • geez.
    what a great thread.

keep your conspiracy theory thread confined to your nutjob message boards.

The real facts are that we blew it, the government blew it, Clinton blew it, so did Condy and the gang from Texas. Too many critical pieces of information and intelligence were ignored. Read the 9/11 commission records, perhaps the best bipartisan effort that has come out of Washington in decades.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    How are either of these guys "underrated"?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>geez.
    what a great thread.

keep your conspiracy theory thread confined to your nutjob message boards.

The real facts are that we blew it, the government blew it, Clinton blew it, so did Condy and the gang from Texas. Too many critical pieces of information and intelligence were ignored. Read the 9/11 commission records, perhaps the best bipartisan effort that has come out of Washington in decades.
    image >>

I didn't bring a conspiracy theory in the thread, Bill did. Secondly, you are right about one thing, the 9/11 commission records were a complete sham and there are a lot more questions than answers. For the record I am a conservative. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    "Allow myself to introduce myself."

-Rickey Henderson (oops...I mean Austin Powers)

<< <i>I didn't bring a conspiracy theory in the thread, >>

You put it on your sig line, and thus brought it to every thread you post on.

So, by your rationale, everytime someone comments about what one has in their sig line the owner of the sig is the one who is talking about it in the thread? i didn't force anyone to comment about my sig. Should i talk about ROY projects or your icon so now i can say "you brought it up in the thread." Hello?

<< <i>So, by your rationale, everytime someone comments about what one has in their sig line the owner of the sig is the one who is talking about it in the thread? i didn't force anyone to comment about my sig. Should i talk about ROY projects or your icon so now i can say "you brought it up in the thread." Hello? >>

At least if you talked about my Lincecum avatar or my ROY set project, it'd have something to do with sports or sports cards, which is what this whole message board is about.

No $hit Sherlock thats why the OP was about HOF'ers which you contributed ZERO.

<< <i>No $hit Sherlock thats why the OP was about HOF'ers which you contributed ZERO. >>

Look a few posts up, I asked "How are either of these guys "underrated"?" I asked that hoping that you could elaborate a little bit more on the topic. You posted some stats, but they were both 1st ballot HoFers, so I fail to see how Rickey or Murray could be considered "underrated".

A sigline is practically like a tee-shirt, it shows up wherever you do. If you're going to put highly controversial topics in your sigline, don't be surprised if someone responds.

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rickey is the greatest ever. There's no comparison to Rickey.

--Rickey Henderson >>

·p_A·
    The thread topic is OPINION (in your view, if any, which is underrated) I couldn't care less if someone wants to comment about the sig, but I didn't bring it into the thread. That is all i said.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭
    I am in the mood for some General Tso Chicken.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Easily Murray. Only four (4) players have 3000 hits and 500 home runs in their career, to wit:

1. Willie Mays;
    2. Hank Aaron;
    3. Rafael Palmeiro; and
    4. Eddie Murray.

Nos. 1 and 2 need no comment. And, for that matter, neither does no. 3. But Murray? I wouldn't be surprised if many people did not know about Murray's 3000 and 500.

In his Hall of Fame voting, Murray was on 423 out of 496 ballots for a 85.3%; a good percentage and easily over the 75% requirement. But if you think about it, quite low considering the aforementioned numbers.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭
    I would rather have Henderson then Murray. Both were great .
    How many lead off hitters are in the HOF? I am taking nothing away from either
    just saying I would rather have a lead off guy with some power and speed to make
    things tough on pitchers. Think about how Henderson got the pitcher off his game
    when he was on first . He also played a great LF and how many players can you name that throw left and bat right?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    One of the things Murray doesn't get credit for is helping to shape the kind of player Cal Ripken was. Murray was the leader of the Orioles in the 80s and led the way as a quiet, hard working guy who went in day after day and did his job. All he wanted to do was play, never questioned his coaches, studied the pitchers and helped the younger players adjust to the majors. he had such a profound effect on Cal that Ripken mentioned him as a mentor and the example he followed during his 2131 speech.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the things Murray doesn't get credit for is helping to shape the kind of player Cal Ripken was. Murray was the leader of the Orioles in the 80s and led the way as a quiet, hard working guy who went in day after day and did his job. All he wanted to do was play, never questioned his coaches, studied the pitchers and helped the younger players adjust to the majors. he had such a profound effect on Cal that Ripken mentioned him as a mentor and the example he followed during his 2131 speech. >>

Murray learned from Lee May...........
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.