Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Triple Crown Winners

After hearing the Trivia Question on the All-Star Game, I looked up some stats about Baseball Triple Crown Winners.

1. It's happened only 9 times in the American League ... and TWICE by Ted Williams.

2. It's happened only 5 times in the National League ... and TWICE by Rogers Hornsby.

3. It's been 42 years since it's been done in the American League.

4. It's been 72 years since it's been done in the National League.

5. The ONLY player to win the Triple Crown with 50+ homers is Mickey Mantle.

6. The LEAST amount of Home Runs for a triple crown winner is 9 ... Ty Cobb in 1909.

7. The LOWEST batting average for a Triple Crown winner was .316 ... Frank Robinson in 1966.

8. The ONLY year where it happened in BOTH leagues was 1933 ... Jimmie Foxx in AL and Chuck Klein in NL.
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Did you count guys like Hugh Duffy or did you just count from 1901?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Duffy (1894) was included

18 HR

145 RBI

.438 AVG
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I believe Sir Barton was the first Triple Crown winner.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe Sir Barton was the first Triple Crown winner. >>

Sorry ... he was 1919

TWO AL players and ONE NL player did it before him! LMAO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, regarding #8 in the OP, both Foxx and Klein played in the same city...Foxx for the Philadelphia A's and Klein for the Phillies.

Steve
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    The question is will it ever happen again? Also will anyone hit .400 for the season?

Unreal that at one point 9 HR's was enough to win the tripple crown no matter how long ago.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Affirmed and Seattle Slew were studs.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>The question is will it ever happen again? Also will anyone hit .400 for the season?

Unreal that at one point 9 HR's was enough to win the tripple crown no matter how long ago. >>

that was called the "deadball" era for a reason.....

its a different game today.....
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Interesting note about Williams' Triple Crowns-he was not the MVP either year.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Nope, I was incorrect. I thought Yaz may have hit lower than .316 in 67 during the era of the raised pitching mound. He hit .326. Interesting stuff, Doug.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Mantle's 52 HR's in 1956 + a 353 avg today would have everybody screaming steroids.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    When did they first start recognizing the Triple Crown as an acomplsihment? Has it always been?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    well, its easy to go back and look at the stats, but i dont think it was recogonized in the deadball era....
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The question is will it ever happen again? Also will anyone hit .400 for the season?

Unreal that at one point 9 HR's was enough to win the tripple crown no matter how long ago. >>

Don't think anyone's going to hit .400 too soon. As for a Triple Crown, if anyone can do it today, it's Pujols.
  • Options

<< <i>When did they first start recognizing the Triple Crown as an acomplsihment? Has it always been? >>

Cat ... not sure when they first started recognizing it, but I believe the first one in the NL (AL was later on) was in 1894.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    cool thread

possible chance this year in the American league and national league...

Hamilton, Cabrera, Votto, and of course Pujols have real shots at a triple crown...

will we se a repeat of 1933 when it happened in BOTH leagues?

this is gonna be one heck of a finish!!!
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>cool thread

possible chance this year in the American league and national league...

Hamilton, Cabrera, Votto, and of course Pujols have real shots at a triple crown...

will we se a repeat of 1933 when it happened in BOTH leagues?

this is gonna be one heck of a finish!!! >>

Don't be silly. No one in the American League has a chance.
    Votto, and Pujols do have a shot in the NL.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    There is a chance in the AL only if Jose Bautista gets injured o Josh Hamilton goes on a HR tear. I'd root for Cabrera but he hasn't hit 40 home runs before. Watch out for him in the next 5 years though.