Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I Gambled on My SGC 8.5 Bill Walton and sent it to PSA.

I'm thinking about crossing this '74 Bill Walton over to PSA during the national. Do you think it will or will it be a waste of money?

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I think you'd be looking at a straight 8 due to the minor tilting.
  • Options
    Is it my eyes or the scan? I don't see any tilt. I am a firm believer in cracking out the card before subbing.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it my eyes or the scan? I don't see any tilt. I am a firm believer in cracking out the card before subbing. >>

I just looked again, I thought I saw one on the left border - but now I kind of don't. I need coffee.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I see the tilt, but it still might cross.

I would try it.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Nice card! Looks like it has a good chance at crossing. Good luck!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    I don't see it, and I'm pretty picky about the tilt flaw. I would crack it. Unless something isn't showing up, I don't see why you couldn't get it in a PSA holder.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are a gambler, and can live with the possibility of it coming back as an 8, then crack it out first. If the gamble paid off, and you score a 9, then you'd have a $150/$200 card in your collection, or to sell.

My opinion of the possible crack out results are like this:

PSA 8 - 60% of the time
    PSA 8.5 - 20% of the time
    PSA 9 - 10% of the time
    Evidence of trimming - 10%
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tilt is the scan. I'm on the fence on cracking it. Is SGC easy to crack? I've cracked several BGS it's been a struggle for me.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a tilt too. SInce half of us see it, I'd say no.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the overall color appears slightly faded, IMO....i think you'll get zapped with no better than 8.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Ask his beard, he'll have an answer for you
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I think the scan is deceptive and there is no tilt to the card. The only thing I don't like is the print dot under the N in Walton.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack it, I think you will get a 9
  • Options

<< <i>Is SGC easy to crack? >>

Very easy
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Crack it, it my come back a 9.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Sell it to me? Or crack - either works.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I remember Bill Walton for having a great outlet pass. When I think of a crossover I usually think of Tim Hardaway, not Walton. I'd not crossover.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Agreed.....crack it!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SGC cases are fairly easy to crack, BGS are much harder to crack. I personally don't see a tilt so I think it would cross from an 8 to a 9 depending on the grader that day.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Bobby, I think you need to decide if you can live with a PSA 8, versus the PSA 8.5 or PSA 9 your looking for. If the answer is YES you can ultimately live with the PSA 8, then its a no brainer. I think it will cross. Its a georgous card, and having seen it in person, there is NO tilt on that card.
  • Options
    Nice looking PSA Mint 9! image
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Sweet card. No tilt at all. Some of you guys seeing a tilt need to tilt your head slightly to the left and look again. The card looks perfectly centered. The scan is cropped with a tilt.

Many times '74's show micro touches on the back corners. Depending on how yours look will determine if it's a straight 8.5
    cross or a possible 9.

I've owned two PSA 9's of this card. From the scan, your card looks 9 worthy to my eyes. You really need to 10x loupe the corners to be sure. Good luck with your cross!
  • Options
    I cracked it and sent into to PSA and I lost. This arrived today. Oh Well!!! It could have been worse.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Too bad ... we were hoping you would get at least an 8.5.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol damn old threads.

Still a nice card.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Bobby, Very sorry to see your card didn't get the 8.5 as you were hoping to get. Either way, that's a very nice card to own.

brian
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Grab the wire cutter and a flathead screwdriver, crack and resub.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Too bad, top right corner looks touched.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I cracked it and sent into to PSA and I lost............. >>

If at first you dont succeed....................
  • Options

<< <i>Too bad, top right corner looks touched. >>

It's the scan.

I might crack it and resub.
  • Options
    Absolutely unbelievable.

Is simple greed the main motivation people become obsessed with all this resub business?
    I mean really, your not going to retire off this card. You know the card gets dinged up more and more
    with each resub and handling.

That is a great looking card no doubt and the 1st mistake was cracking it out of the Beautiful
    SGC holder(Which had the Proper Grade). Now its stuck in that ugly dull PSA holder and undergraded to boot.

Its ashame when the card itself is no longer the main focus and reason for collecting.

• Options
    it really did look nicer in the black holder and it had a better grade to boot.