Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

After only 19 months of waiting

rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
My PSA Set Registry Request for the Bert Jones basic set of 8 total cards is now 38th in line to be added.image
Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Bert Jones the butt of jokes on the Miller Lite commercials back in the day?
  • Options
    yes him and LC Greenwood. Greenwood would crush a can and Bert never could (since he was a QB).
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    You are a very patient man, Mike.

Mike

PS: It's been 23 months since we purchaed some Topps Baseball starters sets from, we only need 5 cards to complete our 1974-82 run now... let's hope you get your Registry request granted before 23 months.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    gives you more time to get the cards and "make a big splash" with a high caliber set!

Player Collecting Rocks!
  • Options

<< <i>gives you more time to get the cards and "make a big splash" with a high caliber set!

Player Collecting Rocks! >>

that is true, I only grabbed these in 9s though. Still need the 1981 Topps to complete the set.
  • Options
    now I am up to 37th in line!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Who is Bert Jones?
  • Options

<< <i>Who is Bert Jones? >>

you should be beaten for asking that. (just kidding) He was an All American Quarterback at LSU. Started for the Colts from 1973-82 went to the Rams in a highly publicized move but broke a bone in his neck and had to retire. He starred in some bad Miller Lite commercials in the 80s. Bert was one of the star QBs of the mid to late 70s, too bad his career got cut short or you would not have to ask who he was.

Here is one of the times he graced the cover of SI

Also of more relevance to me he is from my hometown (Ruston, LA hence the nickname the Ruston Rifle) and a friend of my family.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    He had some good years when he had complete seasons.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

<< <i>Who is Bert Jones? >>

Friggin cheesehead!
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭

Who is Bert Jones?

He was a quarterback who threw some real stupid pass interceptions in big playoff games that cost his team chances to go to a Super Bowl. He contemplated retirement every year for the last part of his career lavisishing in the undeserved media spotlight that he lived for. He had a tearful retirement and then came back. He tried to blackmail the team and city that made him into an icon and spit in their face, even threatening after his second retirement to play for their arch rival. According to a book by Sal Palantonio he was one of the most over-rated players in NFL history.

He was self-absorbed, refused to go Pro Bowls and after early success he basically yakked in almost every playoff game for the rest of his career. His career was all about him, statistics and records that will be broken in the next decade by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Although his career for most interceptions does seem safe as no one of quality who overstayed his welcome would be so careless with their teams well being.

...oh wait that was someone else.... never mind.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Being from Baltimore , I remember a few things about Bert . He was very highly regarded , when drafted. Good college stats, etc. He was a primadona that cried about how hard he was hit , how the receivers dropped the balls. I remember numerous times , after a dropped pass, him grabbing his helmit, with his hands , then blowing up .

Sadly , but best for last . He had a TOTALLY HOT wife.

She was a star quarterback quality wife .

All in all , the Colts sucked, largely because of the defense, under the Bert Jones era.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Who is Bert Jones?

...oh wait that was someone else.... never mind. >>

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

He was a quarterback who threw some real stupid pass interceptions in big playoff games that cost his team chances to go to a Super Bowl. >>

Thats because he had to go against that 70's Steelers defense, who could make any quarterback throw stupid passes.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    If nothing else, he played in one of the best, most dramatic playoff games I've ever seen, the double OT AFC Divisional Christmas game against the Raiders at Memorial Stadium in '77. The NFL's Greatest Games episode chronicling it is excellent.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>If nothing else, he played in one of the best, most dramatic playoff games I've ever seen, the double OT AFC Divisional Christmas game against the Raiders at Memorial Stadium in '77. The NFL's Greatest Games episode chronicling it is excellent. >>

That is a great game. Too bad the Colts lost.

Bert Jones had one of the greatest regular season's ever at QB in 1976. Those mid 1970's Colts teams were fantastic. I saw Jones play quite a few times in the 1970's on TV, although I didn't know he was such a prima donna until the above posts.

His dad, Dub Jones, once scored six TD's in one game in the early 1950's for the Cleve. Browns.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If nothing else, he played in one of the best, most dramatic playoff games I've ever seen, the double OT AFC Divisional Christmas game against the Raiders at Memorial Stadium in '77. The NFL's Greatest Games episode chronicling it is excellent. >>

That is a great game. Too bad the Colts lost.

Bert Jones had one of the greatest regular season's ever at QB in 1976. Those mid 1970's Colts teams were fantastic. I saw Jones play quite a few times in the 1970's on TV, although I didn't know he was such a prima donna until the above posts.

His dad, Dub Jones, once scored six TD's in one game in the early 1950's for the Cleve. Browns. >>

yep I collect a little Dub too another Ruston native

• Options
    movin on up now... 31 on the list!
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm about 110th on the list for my Jean Beliveau set, and it's been 13 months. Looks like another year...

Honestly, is it that much work to create a player set?

-Nathanael
  • Options

<< <i>

He was a quarterback who threw some real stupid pass interceptions in big playoff games that cost his team chances to go to a Super Bowl. >>

Thats because he had to go against that 70's Steelers defense, who could make any quarterback throw stupid passes. >>

IF you had read between the lines and IF you saw that the way I saw it, the sarcasm in this reference is a slam on Farve. Afterall, cheesehead was the initiator of the question.
  • Options
    It seems to be picking up now. I am up to 26th!
  • Options
    I am next on the list image after 20 months, finally I get to log in my Berts.
  • Options
    Live

I just hope the 1981 Topps I have in grading can pull at least a 9 to finish it off!