Home U.S. Coin Forum

How do you verify an ANACS certification number

on their website? PCGS has an easy link, pcgs.com/cert/ to make sure a coin you are buying on eBAY is the one listed in their population report. i don't just want to be able to buy PCGS coins, ANACS is good too. it seems to me chinese counterfeiters, or ANY counterfeiter, for that matter, would also be able to make a fake ANACS slab. it seems like the perfect thing to do, if mainly PCGS ones are the ones they try to counterfeit. which brings me to another point...what about NGC? but in all seriousness, i registered at ANACS and checked their population report, but there is no way in my knowledge to verify cert #s of ANACS. could someone please enlighten me or help me find a way to do so?

Comments

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    You can call ANACS directly and give them the number and they will verify what should be in the slab.
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Call
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.......yeah, give 'em a call. while you're on the blower, ask them if they have plans to put the info online sometime.image

.......and by the way image to the forums!
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still confused about who ANACS is and who they used to be plus who ICG is and who they used to be. I don't know which is which and who works where any longer.
  • ok but then ain't there a real danger though, that someone knows there is a 1909 s vdb in F 12 with a cert number of 1114444, so he goes out, makes one in his basement, and places it in a phony holder 1114444 with a grade of F 12?
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ok but then ain't there a real danger though, that someone knows there is a 1909 s vdb in F 12 with a cert number of 1114444, so he goes out, makes one in his basement, and places it in a phony holder 1114444 with a grade of F 12? >>

This can apply to anyone's holder. It's why there's been discussion of additional security requirements aka lasering photos of the original coin, etc.
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still confused about who ANACS is and who they used to be plus who ICG is and who they used to be. I don't know which is which and who works where any longer. >>

The old-ANACS staff (Randy Campbell,etc.) now works for ICG and the old ICG-staff (James Taylor,etc) now works for ANACS.
  • so would you feel comfortable buying an ANACS coin on eBAY? or would you call them up first to make sure it is the same coin and grade?
  • i have another question...why do people accept NGC as a reliable service if their coins always grade a grade or two above PCGS?
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the older, smaller anacs slabbed morgan dollars and only look at them.

Most of the Ebay stuff I've won has been excellent.

The newer slabbed stuff doesn't reach my radar.

However, I'll look at anything in any slab as the coin itself is more important than the plastic it resides in on any particular day.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>so would you feel comfortable buying an ANACS coin on eBAY? or would you call them up first to make sure it is the same coin and grade? >>

No. The fake slabs get better and better, for some coins, no way would I buy off Ebay, slabbed or raw. It is easy to get a serial number from one of the auction sites to put on the fake slab. Calling only verifies that extra step was done, not anything else. It seems like the list of coins that I won't buy online from unknown sellers, gets longer each month.

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm still confused about who ANACS is and who they used to be plus who ICG is and who they used to be. I don't know which is which and who works where any longer. >>

The old-ANACS staff (Randy Campbell,etc.) now works for ICG and the old ICG-staff (James Taylor,etc) now works for ANACS. >>

Last I heard, the only one left of the old ANACS team at ICG is Randy Campbell.
    ANACS now has JP Martin, Michael Fahey, John Roberts and a number of other graders.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file