Home Sports Talk
Options

Hoopster

Could you do a comparison on these two stat comparisons and give me your opinion on who has the edge.

Mariano Rivera vs. Jonathan Papelbon (Postseason)

Mariano Rivera vs. Trevor Hoffman (Regular Season)

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one compares to Rivera in the postseason, not even close...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No one compares to Rivera in the postseason, not even close... >>

That's right. He's no Amando Benitezimage
  • Options
    Save %
    Rivera 89%
    Hoffman 89%

ERA
    Rivera 2.29
    Hoffman 2.76

ERA+
    Rivera 199
    Hoffman 146

WHIP
    RIvera 1.015
    Hoffman 1.050

K/BB ratio
    Rivera 3.9
    Hoffman 3.83

OPS Against
    Rivera .557
    Hoffman .603

One can look at all this and say..."the only thing that matters is the save percentage," and they would have a point. After all, if a pitcher loaded the bases every outing and never let a run in, that is all that matters, right? That is an extreme example, but probably hits the point.

But luck can also be involved, and given these two pitchers' set of ratio numbers, I would expect Rivera to be the better of the two and emerge with more saves...given equal luck and equal toughness of save chances. For example, it is possible that Hoffman was a little fortunate when he allowed his HR.

Their innings were 1,060 for Rivera and 1,013 for Hoffman, so basically the same there.

I would have to say Rivera, but it is extremely close.

Papelbon vs. Rivera in the post season? Sorry, can't compare the two. Papelbon is too far behind in innings to get a valid comparison...if there is even such a thing as a valid post season sample size to begin with.
  • Options
    Can you compare Papelbon and Rivera in the postseason in their first 4 or 5 postseasons ?
  • Options

<< <i>Can you compare Papelbon and Rivera in the postseason in their first 4 or 5 postseasons ? >>

I'm sure he can, just as soon as Papelbon plays in 4 or 5 postseasons...
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can you compare Papelbon and Rivera in the postseason in their first 4 or 5 postseasons ? >>

I'm sure he can, just as soon as Papelbon plays in 4 or 5 postseasons... >>

• Options
    From what I read on their first 25 postseason innings, it looks like Papelbon has the advantage so far.
  • Options
    There isnt even a comparison to be made here - Rivera has 117 postseason innings to Papelbons 25 (In THREE postseasons, big Sox fan). So at his current pace of 8 or so IPs a postseason, JP would have to appear in 11 more (if Mo never makes another) to have similar IPs for comparison.

Looks like this thread was an ill fated attempt to start a flame war, like many of your threads - and for someone who professes to have been big a huge Sox fan for many years, you don't seem to know poop about your favorite team - How's Coco Crisp doing in CF for the Sox this year?

• Options

<< <i>From what I read on their first 25 postseason innings, it looks like Papelbon has the advantage so far. >>

Quoted for truth.

• Options

<< <i> How's Coco Crisp doing in CF for the Sox this year? >>

Hitting .228
    Looks like Theo did great and continues to outdue Cashman once again.

You know, the Brian Cashman who didn't trade Hughes, Kennedy, and Cabrera for Johann Santana. image
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like this thread was an ill fated attempt to start a flame war, like many of your threads - and for someone who professes to have been big a huge Sox fan for many years, you don't seem to know poop about your favorite team - How's Coco Crisp doing in CF for the Sox this year? >>

Quoted for truth
  • Options
    I saw a sports report that mentioned that Hoffman has been just as effective as Rivera throughout his career. It also
    mentioned that Papelbon is off to a better start then Rivera in the postseason. Couldn't believe it when I heard it, so I asked
    Hoopster to break it down better.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>From what I read on their first 25 postseason innings, it looks like Papelbon has the advantage so far. >>

Zach Miner presently has the advantage over all of them. He not only has a 0.00 ERA, but a 0.00 WHIP as well.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25