Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1957 topps Basketball size discrepancies

I just got a few PSA graded 1957 topps Basketball cards and I noticed that two of them are at least 1mm smaller in height than the rest. Do you guys know if this is common place or have I been sold trimmed cards slabbed by PSA?

Comments

• cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I have many of the '57's graded, from PSA 5's to a couple of 8's. I had a raw set and sent it in for grading myself a few years ago. I've never noticed size issues with any of those cards, but there's always the possibility that some may exist.

There was a vending find, or was it a pack find down in Texas a number of years ago, and perhaps some of those cards ran a little short. That could be the case.

Also, just because a card measures short doesn't mean it's trimmed. It could leave the factory that way. For every oversized card, there's an undersized card to match it.

For what it's worth, I've noticed more size variances with the '61 Fleer Basketball cards than with the '57 Topps cards.

Post a few scans and let's see your '57's..........
  • PSA standards due accept a certain amount of variation in the overall size. 1 mm is more than likely within their variance acceptance.
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    This variation is just another thing that went wrong with the 1957 Basketball set easily making it one of the thoughest sets to put together in PSA 7 or better. Near mint cards that are decently centered with clear backgrounds are tough to find raw and the registry pops bear that out. Still for us BBall collectors it is a fun and expensive challange.