Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA slabs and Fireproof safes.

Was researching and thinking over my options for home safes or deposit boxes at the bank.

Would PSA slabs withstand a worst scenario home fire even in a high rating fireproof safe?
From what I understand fireproof safes are tested for a threshold of 350 degrees (inside safe temp) while maintaining it's outer frame under fire.

Would'nt a PSA slab melt under such heat?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I almost burned my house down a couple months ago and let me tell you
    fire is no joke. I would say yes a PSA slab would be a puddle at 350 degrees.
    Try a junk slab put your oven at 350 and put a Todd Van Poppell in that puppy and see what happens?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    The cases will soften at just over 200 degrees, they will melt at 380-450 degrees
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy one of Matt Miller's (MBMiller25) cases they will hold up to any house fire.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    The concern with any safe or case is inner temperature.

It would be pointless to have a "fireproof" safe/case come to find all your PSA slabs have melted.

Just some thoughts and concerns I have while researching my options.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    There are different types of ratings. If you're looking to keep the internal temperature lower than 350 there are safes for that. The lower the internal temperature, the higher the price. The people to talk to are the people who sell safe, and what you need depends on where the safe will be going and what you need to protect inside. Here's some general info http://www.klsecurity.com/fire_rating_ul.htm
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    A couple things about fire, as I sell a product that is designed for the fire services. The answer to your question is really going to have more to do with what room in the house the fire originates in. Most house fires do not reach temperatures of 350 degrees outside the orgination point where the fire begins. Throw that out the window if an excellarator is introduced (I.E. Gasoline or similar flammable liquid). Contrary to Bporter26's suggestion, I do not recommend my graded card cases for fire protection. The cases will withstand 350 degree heat, but a safe would be a better option for you, or one of my cases inside a safe would be an even better option. You can also find larger floor style safes with much higher temperature ratings than 350 degree if your really concerned about that fire rating. Hope that helps you out.

• Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    It would probably be better to put the really high dollar items in a safety deposit box at the bank. It's a small fee each month but it will keep your goodies safe. That's what I plan on doing.

What if you put a safe inside another safe? Huh, that would make it double safe....image
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    SDB is your safest bet for hi $ cards................................
  • Options

<< <i>SDB is your safest bet for hi $ cards................................ >>

Yep!
  • Options
    MBMiller25, I am interested in seeing one of your graded card cases. Can you send me a link or photo? I'm definitely in the market for a safe but like the idea of having my cards in a case first.

• Options
    Read carefully before making any decision to buy a fireproof safe. Most consumer grade models are rated for x temperate for only y number of minutes (usually somewhere in the ballpark of 30-120 minutes). Once you go past the time threshold you're likely to lose whatever you have inside.
  • Options
    I for the life of me dont undertand the "lets keep all our nice stuff at the bank" argument. Just insure them. A $50,000 collectible policy is about $20/month. A (very small) safety deposit box costs about $5/month and it will fit no more that 20 or so slabs. So now it's really only $15/month more to be able to enjoy them whenever you want and not have to what?......drive to the bank to look at your cards?

If you had a $50,000 painting on your wall, you'd sure as hell insure it wouldn't you? Or do people keep those at the bank too?

Just saying....
  • Options

<< <i>I for the life of me dont undertand the "lets keep all our nice stuff at the bank" argument. Just insure them. A $50,000 collectible policy is about $20/month. A (very small) safety deposit box costs about $5/month and it will fit no more that 20 or so slabs. So now it's really only $15/month more to be able to enjoy them whenever you want and not have to what?......drive to the bank to look at your cards?

If you had a $50,000 painting on your wall, you'd sure as hell insure it wouldn't you? Or do people keep those at the bank too?

Just saying.... >>

That's if you are fully secure and confident, when the day of reckoning might come, that your policy will pay out. Also, some cards may be irreplaceable.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I for the life of me dont undertand the "lets keep all our nice stuff at the bank" argument. Just insure them. A $50,000 collectible policy is about $20/month. A (very small) safety deposit box costs about $5/month and it will fit no more that 20 or so slabs. So now it's really only $15/month more to be able to enjoy them whenever you want and not have to what?......drive to the bank to look at your cards?

Just saying.... >>

That's if you are fully secure and confident, when the day of reckoning might come, that your policy will pay out. Also, some cards may be irreplaceable. >>

I will concede that items with sentimental value are not replaceable, but if that's the case then we should all keep all our family photos and great grandma's recipe book at the bank. Money can buy everything else.....and if you own a card that money can't replace then you're obviously posting on this board from your yacht.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just saying.... >>

That's if you are fully secure and confident, when the day of reckoning might come, that your policy will pay out. Also, some cards may be irreplaceable. >>

I will concede that items with sentimental value are not replaceable, but if that's the case then we should all keep all our family photos and great grandma's recipe book at the bank. Money can buy everything else.....and if you own a card that money can't replace then you're obviously posting on this board from your yacht. >>

I have cards that I have only seen one copy in ten years(mine). Not too high dollar, but money can't replace it, if you can't find it! Ps I am posting from my yacht.....
  • Options

I have cards that I have only seen one copy in ten years(mine). Not too high dollar, but money can't replace it, if you can't find it! Ps I am posting from my yacht..... >>

Lol. The point I am trying to make is that (yes, assuming you don't have cut-rate insurance) even if you lose something that you can't replace, you will get a payout equal to its value and can get something else equally awesome and irreplaceable.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have cards that I have only seen one copy in ten years(mine). Not too high dollar, but money can't replace it, if you can't find it! Ps I am posting from my yacht..... >>

Lol. The point I am trying to make is that (yes, assuming you don't have cut-rate insurance) even if you lose something that you can't replace, you will get a payout equal to its value and can get something else equally awesome and irreplaceable. >>

You made a good point.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>I almost burned my house down a couple months ago and let me tell you
    fire is no joke. I would say yes a PSA slab would be a puddle at 350 degrees.
    Try a junk slab put your oven at 350 and put a Todd Van Poppell in that puppy and see what happens? >>

I know this post is over 3 years old, but that's still a harsh comment re: Van Poopell. Sounds like the slab at 350 would dissolve as quickly as his career. image
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    What Conor says.......I agree with. Although there are alot of variables involved. I think to do the whole insurance thing for high dollar cards you have to have a certain safe bolted to the floor, alarm system for the house.....I think it's fairly complicated.

Everyone has always talked about the Collectibles insurance....but has anyone had a disaster and got the proper payout?