Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Newest Ripken minor league memorabilia

Had the opportunity to pick this up over the last week. I am not a ticket collector but I have to admit that I am pretty excited about getting it. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to finish the set one of these days. I was told that the gentleman who initially owned this extra ticket left the game after the 22nd inning.

Comments

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Nice and a keeper for sure.

Tom
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    awesome!

its great to be a player collector isnt it?
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    very cool; unused tickets are very hard to find from this game!

Nice Pickup Chris!

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    VERY cool pickup!
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Certainly a treasure. Congrats.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I can't wait to pair it up with the ticket to the conclusion. If anyone ever sees a copy I would appreciate the tip. As I said I'm not a ticket guy but the seller said there's not many full tickets certified. Since I don't have the membership I'm not sure how accurate that is.

<< <i>very cool; unused tickets are very hard to find from this game!

Nice Pickup Chris!

image >>

Coming from you that really means a lot. I am trying to get the site updated and hope to build a better page about "The longest game", especially with the 30 year anniversary coming up before long. I may have told you that my provider has changed the image gallery format so it's kinda a mess right now. When you build a page over so long of a time and have it turned upside down overnight it takes awhile to clean things up.

FWIW I played phone tag with Cat Whitfield this week. I missed his call but he left a message with some possible dates and times to do the interview. I have been working on some questions and hope to have the question list finished in the next week. I will probably forward the questions to you to see if you have any other angles you think would be worth exploring. Needless to say I can't wait to talk to him. I have a hunch he is a great conversation.
  • Options
    Nice ticket! 3 have been graded 1 seven and 2 eights. The continuation game has only one 5 all tickets full.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice ticket! 3 have been graded 1 seven and 2 eights. The continuation game has only one 5 all tickets full. >>

Interesting and thank you. Don't quote me here but I believe the seller had both tickets that had been graded an 8. His grandfather gave him the tickets. FWIW his grandfather also went to the conclusion.

I found an article written after the game commenting on collectors looking for memorabilia as word got out about the game. With that being said I am sure that a handful of full tickets were kept back as collectibles. I wonder which ticket would have more available copies available. At first I would think that folks bought extra tickets for the completion as instant collectibles. Then again with all of the media attention a lot of people probably attended the game rather than holding a full ticket. Probably no way to know.
  • Options
    FWIW I found varied information in regards to what the tickets (full or stub) have sold for in the past.
  • Options
    Is there anyone who can help with the population of full/used tickets from the conclusion slabbed by PSA?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Three total graded, one in PSA 7, and two in PSA 8.

EDIT: Wait, I read that again and you were asking for the conclusion game. Only one 6/23 ticket has been graded, and it's a PSA 5. My bad...
  • Options
    Worked out a deal for the completion ticket! It is also a full ticket and is the PSA 5 mentioned above. No scan yet but it's very cool having a set of full tickets to the longest game in baseball history!
  • Options
    Sweet! Nice pick up!
  • Options
    Here's the ticket for the completion:

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Chris - that's a good looking tick!

I went to a Yankee game around 1975 that lasted something like 18 innings - we wound up sitting near the dugout from all the way in the upper deck!

Needless to say - we were one of the faithful few left.

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    Chris,

I was just wondering if there were box scores for the April 12th and May 1st tickets that I scanned for you.

I know I was at the games - but I can't remember how Rip did on the day. I think one game had Wade Boggs too.

I think there was a guy on here (or another board) who had every home run for Gary Carter signed by the pitcher who surrendered it.

Glad to add to you awesome web site.

cheers
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations Chris - that's a good looking tick!

I went to a Yankee game around 1975 that lasted something like 18 innings - we wound up sitting near the dugout from all the way in the upper deck!

Needless to say - we were one of the faithful few left.

Thanx for sharing. >>

Thanks for the nice words. I do not think I have sat in a game that went longer than 12 or 13. Granted, I was announcing for the local high school when they hosted a softball tournament triple header. The final game, which was set for 7 innings, went deep in extra innings. I can't remember how many it went but my music guy thought it went at least 12 or 13. Adding that to the previous 14 innings it made for a long day. Hope all is well,
  • Options

<< <i>Chris,

I was just wondering if there were box scores for the April 12th and May 1st tickets that I scanned for you.

I know I was at the games - but I can't remember how Rip did on the day. I think one game had Wade Boggs too.

I think there was a guy on here (or another board) who had every home run for Gary Carter signed by the pitcher who surrendered it.

Glad to add to you awesome web site.

cheers >>

Thanks for the feedback and the site support. I do not have the box scores but they would not be that impossible to find. I wonder if the Rochester newspaper has any online archives. Just thinking out loud.
  • Options
    Off the top of my head, I think Jr. went 2 for 13 in that game
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Yep, 2 for 13 Wiki
  • Options
    Thought you guys may like to see this item from my collection...It's a piece signed by each team in the summer of 1981 with a copy of the boxscore included on each...

• Options
    Absolutely amazing!

It's interesting to me how after all these years you can pretty much figure out the name with each sig. 3 years ago or so I was given a team signed picture from a local minor league affiliate and could not decipher more than 2 or 3 of the sigs.
  • Options

<< <i>Absolutely amazing!

It's interesting to me how after all these years you can pretty much figure out the name with each sig. 3 years ago or so I was given a team signed picture from a local minor league affiliate and could not decipher more than 2 or 3 of the sigs. >>

Chris:

I agree with you entirely....These team sheets were obtained in by a collector in Charleston, WV who got one from every International League team as they passed through town (was an Indians AAA team at the time).
  • Options
    When I was trying to find some auction results related to the game I found a Pawtucket signed program. I can't remember the final price but I know it was at least $400. It made me feel a mittle more comfortable with what I gave for the tickets.

Do you remember me saying something about a Ripken police card selling recently? The guy who bought it sent it to BGS and it got a 5.5. He gave $2,650 for it.