Home Sports Talk
Options

SF's Jonathan Sanchez makes a awesome return to the rotation.. with a NO HITTER

digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
0 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs.

He'd have gotten a perfect game if Uribe didn't make an error in the 8th.

A few weeks ago, this guy got pulled from the rotation and stuck in the bullpen to find himself, as he had been struggling badly all year. With Randy Johnson going on the DL, Sanchez got his start today... and DOMINATED.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    over a good Padres team too..impressive
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Kevin, I detect a slight amount of sarcasm there...... image

Congrats to the kid. I think that last strike call was sketchy, but he'd been dealing all night so Blue gave him the call. That was a tough play that Uribe gaffed, but the error was the correct call. Fortunately JS kept his cool and didn't let the error blow his concentration.

San Francisco's pitching staff is frightening. Sanchez has had some definite problems this year, but this no-no will perhaps elevate his trade value and get the Gigantes the bat they seek. If they end up keeping him and he regains the form he is supposed to have, SF can throw Lincy, Cain, Unit and Sanchez at you. If I'm a Giants fan (and I'm NOT) I'd have to like my chances against anyone in either league.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kevin, I detect a slight amount of sarcasm there...... >>

Funny thing is, if it was a Phillies pitcher, stalin would have already made about 3 annoying threads about it.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>over a good Padres team too..impressive >>

Are the Padres one of the worst teams in baseball? Absolutely.

Would Sanchez' no-hitter had been more impressive had he no-hit the Dodgers, St. Louis or Phillies? Absolutely.

So what is the difference between a pitcher no-hitting the Dodgers/St. Louis/Phillies versus no-hitting the Padres? That would be the difference between a really, really, good pitching performance and a really good pitching performance.

Congratulations to Sanchez.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta give the guy credit, he pitched a heck of a game. I don't care who it was against. I don't think there was anything wrong with that last called strike. How about taking the bat off of your shoulders? What a play in center for the 2nd out of the 9th!! I must say I shed a tear when they showed him hugging his Dad in the dugout. Gotta love this sport. image
  • Options

<< <i>Gotta give the guy credit, he pitched a heck of a game. I don't care who it was against. I don't think there was anything wrong with that last called strike. How about taking the bat off of your shoulders? What a play in center for the 2nd out of the 9th!! I must say I shed a tear when they showed him hugging his Dad in the dugout. Gotta love this sport. image >>

I agree, his Dad just didn't want to let him go. Something they will both remember forever. That was a great moment.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Congrats to Sanchez. I can't wait to see the highlights!
  • Options

<< <i>San Francisco's pitching staff is frightening. Sanchez has had some definite problems this year, but this no-no will perhaps elevate his trade value and get the Gigantes the bat they seek. If they end up keeping him and he regains the form he is supposed to have, SF can throw Lincy, Cain, Unit and Sanchez at you. If I'm a Giants fan (and I'm NOT) I'd have to like my chances against anyone in either league. >>

There have been rumors of Sanchez being dealt for the past few seasons, but nothings ever happened with it. Maybe this year?

Yeah, that bat we keep talking about needing... With Pablo Sandoval emerging as one of the top hitters in the league, and seeing him energize the teams hitters, I keep forgetting about that. image Anyways, it seems that most teams want a Giants mega-prospect and ... in exchange for even a kleenex.

The Giants are playing well above my wildest expectations. I figured this would be the season we'd get above .500 for the first time in a few years. Right now, they've got the 2nd best record in the NL! Dodgers vs Giants in the post-season? Could be!

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>Kevin, I detect a slight amount of sarcasm there...... image

Congrats to the kid. I think that last strike call was sketchy, but he'd been dealing all night so Blue gave him the call. That was a tough play that Uribe gaffed, but the error was the correct call. Fortunately JS kept his cool and didn't let the error blow his concentration.

San Francisco's pitching staff is frightening. Sanchez has had some definite problems this year, but this no-no will perhaps elevate his trade value and get the Gigantes the bat they seek. If they end up keeping him and he regains the form he is supposed to have, SF can throw Lincy, Cain, Unit and Sanchez at you. If I'm a Giants fan (and I'm NOT) I'd have to like my chances against anyone in either league. >>

Actually no sarcasm here, the Padres bats are actually very good. They are scrappy and can hit for power, impressive.

Kevin
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great - a no hitter from a loaded S.F. pitching staff - and the no hitter wasn't from Cain, Lincecom, or Johnson.

Shane

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Sanchez and the Giants. Just goes to show the NL West has become much better than many thought. Maybe JS will say the NL West teams have better records because they ONLY play the NL West teams. LMAO

Brian
  • Options
    The best thing about a no-hitter? An opportunity to TIE one of the more impressive records out there; which would be most consecutive no-hitters thrown - 2 by Johnny Vander Meer.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    i wonder how likely his success will continue. when i read the headline on yahoo sports, i was like WHO ? Not nearly the talent of someone like Bucholz who is languishing in AAA while smoltz is stinking up the Boston rotation.

If Sanchez has any kind of career I will be pleasantly surprised. Awesome performance, but if a team is going to get no hit, the Padres certainly have an anemic enough offense. In fact, didnt Lincecum no hit them for 7+ innings the previous day?
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Hmmm - Lincecum, Cain, Big Unit, Sanchez. The makings of a very dangerous
    post season team.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Plus Affeldt, Howry and Wilson in the pen. Hmmm?

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    honestly how can you claim that Randy Johnson is dangerous? same thing with Sanchez, thus far a one game wonder who was destined for AAA ; Cain and Linceum are two of the top 10 pitchers in baseball this year, but how far will their offense carry them? They would benefit from picking some good veteran hitters for the dtretch drive.
  • Options

<< <i>thus far a one game wonder who was destined for AAA >>

Rumor is that he may soon be dealt to a AAA team in Pittsburg. image

Pablo Sandoval has emerged as a very dangerous power hitter, and is currently one of the better hitters in the league this season (top five in the league in avg, slg, and extra-base-hits). If we can get one more bat, a solid 3 or 4 hitter, that would help spark enough offense to convert some of those close games into wins.

• Options

<< <i>thus far a one game wonder who was destined for AAA >>

Perhaps true and the statement carries a negative connotation; just like one hit wonders in music.

But I think most would agree that it is better to be a one game/one hit wonder than a zero game/zero hit wonder, to wit:

1. 81-91 career pitching record in 14 seasons;
    2. 3.78 career ERA (ERA+ of 99);
    3. 849 career strikeouts; and
    4. Had seasons of 3-21 in 1954 and 1-10 in 1960.

Certainly nothing to write home about. But he will forever be known because he threw a perfect game in the World Series. Does anyone even mention that he had a sub .500 career record and, at best, was an average pitcher?

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    If he continues to a sub-par MLB pitcher, I doubt that many folks will remember Jonathan Sanchez 50 years from now.