Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Franklin Registry Set to be Liquidated

Sadly, I will be selling the majority of coins in my Franklin registry set. All pieces (except the 53-S) are MS65FBL or higher. It will be sold thru Teletrade. If you want a sneak peak, take a look at the "Low Country Franklins" registry set. Message me if you're interested and I can provide you with the auction and lot numbers when available.
"I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend." - Jack Handy

Comments

• Options
    PM sent, any of those coins in OGHs???
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set of Frankies image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Is this really the best (or even a good) time to dump Frankies?

There are other options if you just need to raise some cash.

PM me if so.
  • Options

<< <i>Is this really the best (or even a good) time to dump Frankies? >>

Actually it is a terrible time to be selling, has been talked about in length on these boards, barely bringing 40% of guides prices. I have been doing a lot of research on the series specifically and this is one of the worst times for Franklins....hit and miss on the dates OGHs seem to be the ones finding buyers consistantly blue holders in high grade sit...sad but true...
  • Options
    Nice set best of luck with the outcome. I'm buying 65's for my set but not over 50% of the price guild right now.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    That's a nice set.

"Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    PCGS Price Guide Total: $20,215.
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS Price Guide Total: $20,215. >>

then cut that # in half....image
  • Options
    I ended up retaining six of the thirty-five coins in the set. The remaining items will be in the following Teletrade Auction:

Auction #2723
    July 26, 2009

Lot Denom Date Detail
    ____ _____ ________ _____________________

1704 50c 1948 PCGS 66 Full Bell Lines
    1706 50c 1949D Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1707 50c 1949S Full Bell Lines PCGS 66
    1712 50c 1950D FBL PCGS 65
    1715 50c 1951 PCGS 65 Full Bell Lines
    1717 50c 1951D PCGS 65 Full Bell Lines
    1719 50c 1951S Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1723 50c 1952 FBL PCGS 66
    1725 50c 1952D PCGS 65 Full Bell Lines
    1726 50c 1952S Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1731 50c 1953 Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1733 50c 1953D Full Bell Lines PCGS 66
    1735 50c 1953S PCGS 66
    1740 50c 1954 Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1742 50c 1954D Full Bell Lines PCGS 66
    1747 50c 1954S Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1748 50c 1955 PCGS 66 Full Bell Lines
    1754 50c 1956 PCGS 66 Full Bell Lines
    1770 50c 1957 Full Bell Lines PCGS 66
    1771 50c 1957D Full Bell Lines PCGS 66
    1773 50c 1958 PCGS 66 Full Bell Lines
    1780 50c 1959 PCGS 65 Full Bell Lines
    1784 50c 1959D PCGS 65 Full Bell Lines
    1791 50c 1960 Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1792 50c 1960D Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1797 50c 1961 Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1799 50c 1961D Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1810 50c 1962D Full Bell Lines PCGS 65
    1823 50c 1963D FBL PCGS 65
    "I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend." - Jack Handy
  • Options
    You'll net about $8,000 from the ones on Teletrade.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS Price Guide Total: $20,215. >>

then cut that # in half....image >>

and subtract fee's

I know people have their reasons - but it is a not good time to try and sell Franklin Slabbed sets- not a good time at all

....if you put reserves ; be prepared to buy back quite a few
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had planned to lot view the set, but not now that I see the set has been lkely "cherrypicked" already.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    There are many fine pieces in the collection that were carefully selected over many years. Judge for yourself; take a look at the photos on the PCGS registry or when Teletrade posts the images.
  • Options

<< <i>There are many fine pieces in the collection that were carefully selected over many years. Judge for yourself; take a look at the photos on the PCGS registry or when Teletrade posts the images. >>

With all due respect to the others' views hoshor, I wish you the best of luck in the sale (I'm sure that they do too). But clearly, you would not sell a beloved set if you were not pressed, and I personally know how hard it is to be squeezed by the economy. Set your reserves higher if you can - if the coins come back, they come back. Better to live through a tough time and still keep a quality set together for future gains then giving the coins away in the short term.

Just one man's opinion....

Respectfully,
    Duane

P.S. Email me when you can - I am interested in some of the coins, and will put fair numbers on the table. DB
  • Options
    ..I can see your point D. , but why put them up in the first place if your just going to end up buying them back ?

If i'm at wit's end financially , and sell into the bottom of the Franklin market ....... a set that I paid premiums for and painstakingly put together over many years

.............and I make up my mind to sell it - at a terrible time - why the heck would I buy them back and be in the same boat as when I started ?

The set may be nice , but it's lacking in monster color coins and the T.T. pix are crap .....no

...the seller had best tighten his belt and get prepared to get slaughtered
  • Options
    Unfortunetely for hoshor, my assessment and PawPaul's are similar. The timing just stinks right now on selling that series.

I just hate to see anyone getting pushed to dump in a bad market. Personal thing, that's all.
  • Options
    Have to agree...watching the current blood bath in Franklins, my sympathy to anyone having to sell...but it is only going to get worse, no way in hell it can recoup with pops rising daily...dealers are way behind but their coins are sitting without buyers asking PCGS retail...
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not done much in the way of collecting Franklin halves. Just an inexpensive piece here and there mostly MS-64FBL's. The lone exception was a beautiful 1950-P white PCGS MS-66FBL and a 1956 PCGS PR68DCAM I bought about 9 years ago from Rick T. He was not the cheapest guy on the block for sure, but they were fantastic for the assigned grade. Both of them got the little stickems now. One of the other Franklins I have did get a gold stickem. Essentially, I looked at Franklins as a type coin.

I had felt prices were too high relative to the number of uncirculated rolls still out there.

As prices drop, I am getting more and more intrigued by the idea of doing a full set of Franklins.

I believe the bottom is not too far from where it is now.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    One of the other Franklins I have did get a gold stickem.

.....that would be a proof ?
  • Options
    The Teletrade auction is currently running. Wish me luck. Bid early, bid often! image
  • Options
    Good luck lets us know if you did ok...
  • Options

<< <i>The Teletrade auction is currently running. Wish me luck. Bid early, bid often! image >>

Tell you what - from what I can see , you set most of your reserves at very reasonable levels . You seem to be prepared to take it on the chin and are willing to sell for what you can get .

I for one hope you do well and i'm glad your not one of these nutcases that consign there set and end up buying back 75% of their pieces image
  • Options
    in fact - I bid on two of your coins ................image
  • Options
    the fat lady sang - and boy .........

a 1961 FBL @ 450$ ? a 53-D in 66 FBL@ $400 ?? A nice , hi end white 62-D FBL @ $180 ??? I thought your '55 in 66 FBL was the prettiest piece - but I let go @ 240 $

so cheep for such a powerfull piece ........... a year ago would have brought min. of 500$

sad , sad state of the Franklin market .........hope you reap some profit ............
  • Options
    Pawpaul - I guess the "nutcases" might not be entirely "nutty' image

On the other hand, Hoshor did about as well as could be expected in this climate. Hoepfully, the 5 coins he held on to were the "nuts".

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    So. What did (i.e. do you expect to assuming all get paid for) you net after all expenses/fees?
  • Options
    Hoshor did about as well as could be expected in this climate.

yes, ......he did very well all things considered . He bought back only a few and got himself some much needed cash it would seem .

I wonder though how much he lost on several of the MS-66 FBL early D mints ? And his 49-D must have cost him significantly more then he got selling it
  • Options

<< <i>So. What did (i.e. do you expect to assuming all get paid for) you net after all expenses/fees? >>

very good question ............ I wonder what his price paid/ selling price profit or loss come's out to be image
  • Options

<< <i>I won the 55-p ms66 fbl at $280 plus the juice. 1955 >>

.........i'm broke or I would have bid higher
  • Options
    amazing post auction comments ................image
  • Options
    While I believe the seller did about as good as could be expected right now, obviously, the prices realized were likely well under the prices originally paid for many of the coins. But, these are the true levels of the coins right now. It is that simple. Wondercoin
  • Options
    I have said it a thousand times we still have not hit bottom with the prices in this series...they continue to drop and dealers have yet to adjust prices in their inventories...just look at e-bay...
  • Options

I have a funny feeling that this '55 is top notch .........did u get it yet ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have a funny feeling that this '55 is top notch .........did u get it yet ? >>

Yes and it is a very nice coin. Nice luster and color and decent bell lines. >>

Glad u got a keeper .........you can now build the whole set around it image
  • Options
    Market data is important & as such, can you please tell us the total net as a percentage of the PCGS price guide? image
  • Options
    WOW- not sure who your asking ......... , but i doubt anyone will come forward

the total net ? after shipping, insurance , slabbing, and selling fee's ? after subtracting initial costs per coin ?? factoring in buybacks , depreciation

, inflation , safe deposit box fee's ???

- Give me the gross sales total and I will take it from there
  • Options
    Man-O ,

you tired of the '55 and want to sell it ?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wow, might be a good time to jump into Franklins, I just did the tally and what was sold grossed $6805.
  • Options
    I started with Franklins in the 80's when it was danged near impossible to get a 65 let alone a 66 or 67.

I've pretty much abandoned them since but still have a few monster toners plucked from God only knows how many
    mint set buys 25 years ago.

I don't know. Maybe I should just hold what I've got and start picking up a few at today's prices.

I guess you guys remember Jack Erhmtraut?

I'll be checking the posts since I love the series and really wish I hadn't sold some many of them for peanuts at the time.
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    ..those monster toners ..............u need to sell them to me image
  • Options
    that would be dandy