Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Morning eBay gamble...

Decided to gamble on a piece on the bay this morning. For $31 shipped I figured it was worth a flyer.

Could be cleaned out the wazzoo or it might be a flashy PL, as these do come that way.

Will be interesting to see what it actually looks like in hand.

Bets?

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A decent calculated risk, I'd say. That lighting sure is hot, so you never can tell.

I felt that way about a little Straits piece I bought recently but was very happy when I got it. It might have had a light dip but isn't scrubby or anything, and looks nice in hand- very nice for what I paid. (The seller sent a $7 UNC 1890s coin as a freebie, too, so I bought from him again with similar good results).

Staring at that picture I just can't decide. It's like you say- either that thing has been really scrubbed to death or it might be nice in hand if you can actually see some luster. (I think even a light dip on that one would be OK as long as it didn't dull out the luster).

Is there real luster present or not, that is the question of the moment on your 8R.

I'd give you a tiny bit better than 50-50 odds that you're going to be pleased. I await the verdict.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    The one thing that makes me optimistic is that the detail level is AU++. I'm not seeing anything that would clearly indicate wear as opposed to strike. If there were wear on the snake or the feathers, or "LIBERTAD" on the obverse, I would be more wary.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Why can't it be a flashy PL that's been cleaned out the wazzoo? image

If I were to guess, I'd say you've got a nice PL example there. MS-62?
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I like it. I would expect that date and mint mark to look nice on a BU coin.

It is probably good to take a risk every once in awhile.

Good luck, I'll be optimistic and say it works out well.
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Good gamble, those eagle feathers look hammered on.
  • Options
    I'm just guessing here, but I think it will turn out to be cleaned more than just a slight dip.

But as I said, I'm guessing, and I would not be surprised to end up having guessed wrong.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm just guessing here, but I think it will turn out to be cleaned more than just a slight dip. >>

Could very well be. Could be a diamond in the rough or could be dog poo. Inexpensive gambles are fun. image
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

How'd this work for you?